Birds Community
feeding baby bird

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

feeding baby bird

how and what to feed baby magpie
it has little tail feathers though it cant fly
It sounds like a normal fledgling. They fall/jump from the nest before they can fly. If you think about it, how much exercise can they get sitting in a nest all day long waiting for the parents to feed them? So they pop out, toddle around on the ground fluttering their wings and trying to keep up with mom and dad. Typically they will start making small flights within a couple of days, at least to work their way up into bushes. By the end of a week, they're flying. It's a critical stage of their development because they need the room to flutter and strengthen their chest muscles. They also learn to recognize predators and find food on their own.

If the bird is injured, it's best to find a wildlife rehabber in your area. They have the skills, medications and such to help the little one heal and continue to grow healthy and prepare for release. Check with your local Fish and Wildlife dept. They issue the licenses to do rehab and they can put you in touch with someone in your area. Another option is to check with a local zoo. They often work with rehabbers and may know of a facility nearby.
My cockatiel will be 11 this month. She has been super healthy and always dances and chirps when i play my Pinochio snowglobe by her. As of yesterday I noticed she was on the bottom of her cage kind of puffed up and didn't look so good. Right away I made sure there was nothing wrong. She had food and water but changed it anyway. As soon as I did she ate and drank and seemed fine again. Found that was odd though. So late last night went to go check on her again and she was the same way. Took her out and she barely had the strength to stay on my finger. Literally fell off and landed on my bed. I sobbed so hard and knew something was seriously wrong. Played her fav song and no reaction. Layed with her on my chest for a couple hrs just petting her head and "Hat" or so my baby sister called it when i got her. Named her Hatty because of that. The one thing that doesn't make sense is she still even with how weak she is goes to bite my boyfriends finger so that makes her seem like she's OK. I put her back into her cage and was afraid to wake up and find her gone. She's to the point where she falls face down and holds herself up with her beak. Not good. Woke up this morning and she was still here and actually was sitting on her food dish. Thank god. I left to get ready for work and come back to find her on the top perch! Left for work weary of wat may happen while gone. Set her up with a lamp right next to her cage. Came home from work and was on the floor again. But later on was yet again on her top perch. So confused as to wat is going on. She seems almost normal then gets weak again. She did have a couple strokes last yr so might think that's wat happened again? Please give me some advice. She at this moment has a soft shirt on the bottom of her cage and her cage is covered. I don't want to lose her. Been apart of my life for nearly half of it. Just want her healthy again :(
The only way to know exactly what's going on is to take her to a vet for some blood work and a check of her stool. Can you tell if she's lost weight? Has she started on some new food that might be tainted? If she's got some infection, only medication will help her. Please don't wait too long. A small bird can't afford to lose much weight and they dehydrate quickly.