Birds Community
hen with walking problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

hen with walking problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3E8QmhEAeA
-short video showing my hen
as a chick, I though both white ones walked a little funny, but they still walked, so I thought it must have been just because they were so fat. I have heard of mareks and read up on it but her legs are not paralyzed. She seems good in health, although her underbelly is red and irritated, and dirty..again..even though I just bathed her...(because she's always lying down her belly gets irritated, and dirty)  I have been doing physical therapy with her legs every day for the past week, she shows some resistance, and she does move her legs while shes on her back. I also fed her some pulverized egg shells, quinoa, flax mixture for a few days but that didn't seem to help either. She is a sweet girl I don't want her suffering, I really want this fixed. none of the other chickens have this problem. When she tries to walk she walks not on her feet but basically the whole"forearm" of her leg, her toes kinda curl down, she flaps her wings really hard and hobbles along, sometimes with her head falling forward since she has no balance. Could she have mareks? or maybe some splayed leg?
Tags: spraddle, marek, disease, walking, walking problems, Health, legs, toes, chicken, hen, feet, splayed toes, splayed leg, help
Mareks tends to result in paralysis rather than a general weakness. Does she have trouble breathing or have any tumors on the body? You could take her in for blood work to see if she actually has the disease. Also, keep an eye on her feet and hocks to make sure she doesn't develop any infection there since she spends so much time on them.

A friend of mine has a white chicken (can't think of the breed name now). This particular breed was created for the food market and tends to be very heavy in the chest which makes walking extremely difficult. Her chicken "walks" very much like you describe. The bird also tend to develop some raw spots on the keel and the vent area is always soiled. This chicken is kept in a special, large padded pen and pampered daily. This is her pet but requires a lot of care.

Yes, I fear she is a "meat bird" unfortunately. But the other one i have walks, it just a kind of wobble. She doesn't seem to have trouble breathing, she has been panting but it has been 90 outside. I don't think she has any tumors I noticed a small scab on a wing tip, but I think that's it. Money is tight, I'm trying to avoid a trip to vet especially just bc they say it might be marek and want to put her down. I hear there is a cure for marek and I already started treatment
I hope it helps her somewhat. I feel so bad for my friend's bird. It doesn't seem right to breed birds to be built like this. Then again, I don't suppose they care if the chickens are comfortable or happy since their little lives are so short.  (sigh)  I'm grateful for people like my friend and you that care so much about something so simple as a chicken. I don't have any but I think they're terribly cute.  :-)
yes, they are very sweet, they don't deserve factory farming conditions, I try to only buy free range products.
she seems like she has mad a small amount of progress. She is in somewhat of a quarantine, which I'm not happy about, but until I'm sure I don't want to risk the other chickens getting sick. I really don't think it is mareks I think there is something wrong with her left foot, and maybe her legs also