Birds Community
how to feed
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

how to feed

i found i babby magpie and i when i try to feed it it wont eat or open itsmouth i need help
187666_tn?1331176945
I'm always surprised when people say they have a baby bird this late in the year. Except for pigeons I don't know of birds that breed this late.

In any case, the best thing to do is find someone who is licensed in wildlife rehab care. They have the necessary equipment (special feeding tools, incubators, proper food mixes for the various species) and they have a better chance of success with the little one.

Some babies are reluctant to open their mouths because you don't look or sound like "mom." You are an unknown predator and they will scrunch down and avoid you. Some babies need to have their mouths gently opened and fed that way. Others are so reluctant that they need tube feeding for a couple of days until they make the connection that we are the bearers of food. And some will only eat when put with their own kind.

Please look online for a rehab facility near you or check with some vets, the zoo, the Fish and Wildlife office in your area. Someone should know of a rehabber nearby.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Birds Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...