Birds Community
lovebird eggs bad?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

lovebird eggs bad?

Three time my lovebirds have lain eggs.  The first was successful with 4 health babies.  The next 2 clutches something went wrong.  The female sit on the eggs for around 25 days the first clutch and 19 days the second clutch.  Each time she stopped sitting and  moved the eggs to hide them in the bedding material.  We took the eggs and when candled we found that some weren't fertile and a couple had babies in them.  We put them back but she had no interest to lay on them so after a couple of weeks they were discarded.  What could have happened?  
Related Discussions
187666_tn?1331176945
I know nothing about lovebirds but did look up the incubation period for them. It runs 22-25 days. Also, not all eggs hatch successfully. The rate seems to be 75-85% success. I do know birds in the wild will decide to abandon their nest for whatever reason. Sometimes they realize the eggs are duds, maybe they've been disturbed and don't feel safe there or there's been a change in weather and they bail out. Even after the eggs hatch they sometimes abandon it. I don't know how they think; I just know it happens. Perhaps a lovebird owner can help you out - what to do or avoid when they're breeding.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Birds Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...