It's an antimicrobial agent often used to control salmonella in poultry. Depending on the dose, it can be bacteriostatic (control the growth of bacteria) or bacteriocidal (kill the germs).
I looked for articles on the toxicity but didn't find any right away. There are plenty of articles about how it may trigger resistance in other infections like campylobacter (I've had that; it's not fun) and of course the impact on environment. But didn't turn up anything specific on toxicity in poultry.
Like any medication, if the dose is incorrect, you'll have a bad result. Have you checked with your local Dept. of Agriculture office? They may have answers.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.