Birds Community
parakeet breeding behavior

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

parakeet breeding behavior

How can I tell if my parakeet has an egg inside of her? Is there anything I should be doing for her?
Typically when the egg is formed, the shell is the last to be added. In the few egg bound birds I've seen, the egg is visible at the vent, there's a large bulge there and the bird is very lethargic, fluffed and hunched over. The last bird I worked with was a Western Screech owl that had an egg that was quite large. She had a terrible time passing it. Between heat, oxygen, lubricating the cloaca and a small dose of Oxytocin she finally got it out. But even then we thought she wasn't going to make it. I'm happy to say she was released after a week.

If you think your bird is egg bound, it would be best to let a vet take a look.
  Thank you for responding so quickly, no my bird is full of energy & singing her heart out at the cage door right now so I doubt if she's egg bound. Still I will keep a eye on her for any changes. So far its just the paper fascination.