Birds Community
pulmonary fibrosis
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

pulmonary fibrosis

can birds cause pulmonary fibrosis?
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
Good morning. Pulmonary fibrosis (lung scarring) can be caused by a number of things. Some medications and chemo treatments can cause injury and damage to the lungs. But some airborn irritants can also cause this, the obvious like long term exposure to asbestos and yes, bird droppings and such. And on some occasions pulmonary fibrosis is idiopathic, that is, they can't find the cause for it.

I'm not sure of your situation but I'm not convinced that having a pet parakeet for example would not trigger the problem. Especially as most folks clean the bird's cage on a regular basis. I personally have worked with wildlife, predominately birds (up to eagle size) for 22 years. I have been exposed to thousands upon thousands of birds with their feather dander and droppings (cleaning and handling daily) for ages and my lungs have held up well. I even have mild asthma and it's not been an issue.

Perhaps this would be a better question for your doctor to handle. S/he can explain the various causes and clarify what types of exposure would lead to such a problem.
Blank
Thank you for your input.  every bit of opinion and advice is priceless.
Granni2012
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
Reading over my response I wrote that "I'm not convinced that having a pet parakeet for example would not trigger the problem". That was a mistake. I meant that having a pet bird would not likely cause such a serious illness as pulmonary fibrosis. Funny thing is when I read over my comment before posting, I even misunderstood myself and added the word "not". I don't know what I was thinking. LOL

Whatever the cause, I hope you find some great treatment options.
Blank
Thanks.  lol with ya.  I wasn't quite sure what it was you were saying.  Now I understand that it was an error.  Thank you again for clearing this up.
granni2012
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Birds Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank