Birth Control (Contraception) Community
6 + months w/o period?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

6 + months w/o period?

I have been off of depo provera for about two years, on depo provera I experience the periods 4 times a year and mild lactating, and I have been sexually active. My question is, since I have been off of it for the last year, I had experienced       regular periods for the first three months, and now all of a sudden I am not having any menstrual cycles what so ever. Is it still because of the depo provera or is another underlining cause? I am 5'1 and I have been gaining some weight, not enough to make me obese. I also noticed that it would be regular if I start exercising...maybe that's it?
Thank you.
If you stop getting Depo-Provera injections, your period usually returns within 3 to 10 months but sometimes it may take 12-18 mths. It may be due to depo shots in your case but secondary amenorrhea needs to be ruled out.
Secondary amenorrhea is when a woman who has had normal menstrual cycles stops getting her monthly period for 3 or more months.

Causes of secondary amenorrhea include stress and anxiety, malnutrition, depression, overexercising, sudden weight loss or gain (obesity),thyroid disorders and hormonal imbalance due to polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS).Smoking is also associated with secondary amenorrhea. Sometimes tumors of the ovaries and brain may also cause absence of menstruation.
You should consult a gynecologist and get an ultrasound uterus and a comprehensive profile of investigations done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.