Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Alesse vs. Yaz?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Alesse vs. Yaz?

I've been on Yaz for the last 3 years and it's worked amazingly well for me. It didn't affect my weight, mood, or sex drive in the least. All it did was shorten and regulate my period and get rid of my cramps. Recently I moved and the new clinic I get my birth control from doesn't carry Yaz. Today is my second day on my new pill, Alesse. I was just wondering if there's anyone out there who's taken or is currently on Alesse, and what your experience was/is with it? Are there any side effects, mild or severe? Yaz shortened my period to 4 days, presumably (I thought, anyway) because it has the 4 sugar pills instead of 7. Will Alesse lengthen my now 4-day period to 7 days? I'd just like opinions from people who've had experience with this pill (or with both). Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Every birth control pill has its own side effects. It is not necessary that it will case side effects in all women and all pills react differently in every woman.Alesse can lead to weight gain, mood fluctuations and menstrual changes. Spotting, prolonged bleeding during periods, decreased bleeding are the menstrual changes seen in women using Alesse.If you are concerned it is best to discuss your concerns with a local healthcare provider and get them clarified. Hope it helps.
Best of luck and regards!