Best birth control for cystic acne?
I am an 18 year old girl, will be 19 in 2 months. I have been battling mild cystic acne for about 4 years. I have cystic acne, which I have read about being internal and caused by hormones. I am wondering about the best contraceptive care to help control my cystic acne. I have never been on birth control, and have never been to an OBGYN.
Hi there,
Cystic acne is the most serious kind of acne blemish. They are soft, fluid-filled lumps under the skin's surface. They are caused by overactive oil glands, large number of Propinobacterium acnes and excess dead skin cells within the hair follicle. For cystic acne systemic antibiotics, Isotretinoin are used. Combination pills like Yaz, Estrostep and Ortho Tri-Cyclen are used in severe cystic acne caused by hormonal surges at puberty and during the menstrual cycle. The combination pills suppress the release of sex hormones from the hypothalamus and lowers estrogen levels. Before starting on any type of birth control for acne, it is best to consult your health care provider. Do keep us posted.
Best luck and regards!