Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Birth Control, Help please!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Birth Control, Help please!!

I need help knowing if I need to get off of birth control - the pill. I started taking Nortrel 7/7/7 which is a tri-phase birth control pill and I specifically asked the doctor for one that would give me low side effects - well my boobs grew a cup size and I had no control over my thoughts, emotion, nothing. I started becoming depressed. In August my mother came to me and suggested to switch birth control. I went to my university's health services and they suggested to switch to Ortho-Cyclen. Everything was great - and that was late august 2011. Everything seemed to go back to my normal self. I had no problems - then suddenly mid-April 2012 - I started getting irrational thoughts. I started going into anxiety and panic attacks again (this started during my period). I started thinking horribly about the way I felt with my boyfriend, which I love him, but my brain was telling me all these other things.

Is it my birth control? I went to talk to the nurse at the university and he said that because I had been on it for eight months it was probably not my birth control, and sent me to the counseling center. He said however if it kept going for longer than two weeks, then I should come back. It's been longer than two weeks and everyday I got to bed crying and wake up the same. I'm now really starting to think it's the birth control.

What do you think, help please.
i'd say go demand a change in birth control!    good luck girl
Even though it's been longer than 8 months? My boyfriend, family, everyone says it's not the birth control. I know I should speak to a doctor, but I'm out of town and can't until Friday...I'm definitely scared because this is the second pill that has done this to me and I'm curious how long it will be til I find the right one - or if the Pill is just NOT right for me...
The pill may not be the problem completely, but it may be exasperating an existing mental health condition. I know the pill makes my bipolar disorder worse. (not saying you have bipolar disoder).

If this happens just when you have your period and you are otherwise stable I would see the doctor about it. That isn't a mental health condition. It may be worth a trial period of going off the pill to see if it improves.

And take him up on the offer of the counselling. It will help you deal with what is happening, even if it is biological.

Good luck.