Birth Control and Topamax
I take the birth control pill Minastrin 24 Fe and for about a month now I have been taking Topamax as a mood stabilizer. I recently had unprotected sex and I read that Topamax may interfere with oral contraceptives. If I still take my birth control pill at the same time everyday, should I be protected from pregnancy?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that if you take your pill exactly as directed you should be OK.  If you are really concerned you could use condoms as a back up, but this is probably not necessary.
Good luck!
Dr B
I would talk to your dr that prescribed you topamax I'm on it and I know that if I want to take any types of medicine. .. over the counter or otherwise its a good idea to just run it past him.  He also has me taking folic acid just incase I do become pregnant. ... even though I have no intention of ever having children. .. because it reduces the risk of fetal abnormalities
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.