Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Birth control over 40

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Birth control over 40

What is the best type of birth control for a woman over 40 yrs old?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that if you are a healthy non smoker, you can use any type of birth control that you like, although you might want to avoid the patch or vaginal ring.  IUDs are very safe, effective and increasingly popular, the copper IUD can be used by almost anyone without increasing risks.
If you are certain that you don't want any more children, you could consider a tubal ligation or the Essure procedure.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
I'm not sure about the IUD being safe and effective... I have used it twice and have gotten pregnant both times... The first time it worked for about 4 yrs.. This second time it only served its purpose 2 yrs... I am currently 1-1/2 months pregnant with the IUD in place :(
Might I add, I have the paraguard (copper T) that is suppose to work for 10 yrs... :(