Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Bith Control not an option?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Bith Control not an option?

When I was in highschool, I took 2 birth control pills (one i dont remember the name and the other was Yaz or something) and I had the skin patch as well. I had a lot of problems because my period would be come a DIASTER when it actually came which was much worse than how it was before the pills. As well, my older sister DIED of blood clots and my mother has the same problem with frequent blood clots.
My doctor thought it was safer that I not be on the birth control anymore.

I use condoms but I'd like to know my other options for Birth Control (Contraception).
I'm in the same boat as you, well in the sense that I shouldn't use hormonal birthcontrol. You can try the copper IUD... I was told I couldn't have that one, but it may very well be great for you. just have to look for non hormonal BC. good luck.
I would research the Nature Family Planning method.  It can be used to get pregnant or prevent pregnancy.  It has been proven to be 99% effective when used correctly.  I would still use condoms especially if you have more then one partner but Natural Family Planning can be used as an additional precaution.  I do not currently use this method because me fiance and I are choosing to be abstinent until our wedding, but we are planning on using it after that.  You would use this method to map out the days you are ovulating which are the most fertile days of the month.  Just an idea, Hope it helps!
I am also looking for alternatives as I am now suffereing from DVT (deep vein thrombosis, aka blood clot) and last year I had a scare with cervical cancer... after 12+ years on BCP, I think it's time to stop (especially since I'm a heavey smoker who's not ready to quit yet).... I have to see my GP re: the DVP b/c I need time off work, so I plan on asking about alternative BC as well, so I will come back and post what he says...

TO kare147: do you have any insight as to how well the Family Planning Method works if you're irrigular? That's probably not an option for me, is it? Hopefully I can get in tomorrow for an appointment
Natural family Planning is not all that effective unless you plan on using ovulation test kits etc long term. Every womans cycle is very different which includes the length of the cycle and the day of ovulation. Be very very wary unless you would like a little accident.
the natural family planning method is very hard to do, especially if you are irregular. I would not recommend it to anyone as their only method of BC, as it usually doesn't have a high success rate. You can look into non hormonal forms of BC and have him use a condom. That would be your best bet. good luck.