Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Bleeding Coming Off BCP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Bleeding Coming Off BCP

I recently stopped my birth control pills mid-pack due to them causing migraines. I had a withdrawal bleed a few days later for about 6 days with bleeding typical of a normal period. Now it is 8 days later and I am bleeding again. It started yesterday with mild cramping and spotting when I wiped. Now it is a full blown period-type bleed with cramps and back ache. Is this normal? How long should I expect to keep bleeding?

My periods have always been very irregular. It took my 6 months TTC my first son and 3 years TTC my 2nd son. After a year and a half I became pregnant again and it was ectopic. After having a Methotrexate (sp?) shot I have been on birth control pills for 6 months.

Avatar dr f tn
It may be difficult to confirm anything without a detailed medical evaluation. This irregular bleeding pattern can be due to sudden stoppage of birth control pills or hormonal imbalances. It may take a month or so for your periods to normalize. This is merely an advice. For more queries and assistance you should visit a gynecologist. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!