Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Bleeding between periods

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Bleeding between periods

I had intercourse on 4th day of my cycle, i.e. during menstruation (day 1 as the day periods started). I had even spotted the next day. Used protection too. I was still worried so i took 2 Yasmin combination pill on day 5 and 2 Yasmin pills on day 6. I did not take the pill after that. Ever since I have had heart burn and stomach ache, belching and pain between the shoulders. Today, day 13 of my cycle, i am bleeding, infact heavier than day 1 of my periods. The discharge is fresh bright red with mucous. I have never had mid cycle bleeding before. What is causing this?? Its not pregnancy or implantation bleeding, is it?? considering i am only day 13 of my cycle today........................
Dear ght56,

Thanks for the query.

The bleeding that you are having now is most likely the withdrawal bleeding caused by the withdrawal of the hormones present in the Yasmin that you have taken for 2 days continuously in high doses.

It is not implantation bleeding or a feature of pregnancy as you were involved in sexual intercourse during the “safe” period when the chances of pregnancy are almost nil. The bleeding is likely to subside in next 2-3 days.

In addition to this, your next period may be delayed by a few days. If this happens, it is again due to the Yasmin pills.

If the heavy bleeding continues for more than a few days (as mentioned earlier),  then you might need hormonal drugs like combined contraceptive pills to stop the bleeding. A gynecologist would be able to prescribe it to you if needed.

I hope I have answered your query.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
Just to add that i have a regular 30-31 cycle normally