Bleeding with Mirena
Almost two months ago I had Mirena inserted.  I researched alot and found that alot of people loved it and I loved the idea of have a lite period.  Well my period started on Dec 1.  It was my first period since I had it inserted and it was right on time, no early and not late.  Well I have not stopped bleeding.  It doesn't bother me that much but I was just wondering if anyone else had experiecnced this and how long did it last?  Also my fiance is very large and during intercourse I can feel a sharp pain that I was not experiencing during the few weeks of having Mirena.  I was scared that he may have knocked it out of place but less than two weeks ago I had it checked by my OB and she said it is perfect.  And that I should not worrying.  Can someone please make me feel better about this.
I had Mirena inserted on the 20th of September, and got my period the next day.  It hasn't stopped yet.  Has gotten lighter after the first week, then came back with a vengence about 3 days ago.  I have always had quite irregular, and increasingly heavy periods as I got older so I thought Mirena might help.  I didn't use to have any pains, but after my first daughter 6 years ago, it got worse while I was on the regular IUD.  I have a friend who says Mirena is great, but so far, seeing as I haven;'t stopped bleeding I haven't seen the benefits!  Also, I never thought till I read here, I have had A LOT of trouble sleeping.  In fact I take half a sleeping pill almost every night, and the times I thin kI am so tired and don't take one, i just simply don't sleep!  My husband said he can feel a 'scratchy' sensation when we have sex and was a little bit sore after one particular time.  It's still early days, so I will give it a bit more time, but after reading all of these comments, I am having second thoughts about having it.
i now have 3 children and i had the mirena placed in may of this year. i did not bleed for 3 months and then OVERFLOOD! i have not stoped. it has been 7 weeks now and i am so drained. the main reason i got it was to help with my long pireods, but its only mad it wers. i hate this thing. i cant have sex because it hurts too much. i am going to have it removed
had it inserted 5 months ago and have been spotting/bleeding almost every day for the exception of two, two week periods that I had no bleeding!  My doctor told me it was nomal and that the heavier your periods were, the longer it would take to shed the entire lining that rebuilds.  I am giving it ancouple of weeks.  The good thing is that there are no other side effects or discomfort, so that is why I am willing to give it some time.
good to hear that...I had it put in 5 months ago and spot almost every day.  :(
I HAD MINE INSERTED WHILE ON MY PERIOD. CURRENTLY, I AM BLEEDING EXCESSIVELY. I HAD TO BE PLACED ON IRON BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF BLOOD LOSS.  I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING REMOVAL
I am glad to read that others are experiencing the same issues as I am.  I has my son in Jan 2009 and had Mirena placed in March 2009.  Originally it was great - here and there bleeding but I read that was possible.  Then I started bleeding most days and it has been that way until now (Dec 2011).  I was thinking about removing it as well at my next annual exam because I feel like I have my period (albeit very light) for 20 out of 30 days per month at least.  Now, of course, it has stopped for the past few weeks.  It is annoying because you don't know if it is coming or not and I have to wear a panty liner every day.  I mentioned this to my Dr last year and then had a sonagram but nothing was unusual.  I worry it is something else which is why I wanted to remove it to see if it would stop.  I am more comforted that others are having a similar experience.
Had mine inserted 2009. Use to have regular periods with bad headaches. Migraine like. So now 2 years later.... Bleeding irregular, recently bright red that ruins all my clothes, because it is never expected. Sting pains in side. Also my husband moans that it hurts him. Hey ho mirena ruined my sex life, my marriage and my clothing! Subsequently budget also ruined. BUT migraine has not returned!!! Only light headache that I now blame on stress related to husbands grumpiness towards sexlife! :-) making my appointment to have this thing scrutinised.  
I had mirena out in on 12/12/2011 for the reason i have 4 children and a step daughter all under the age of 9 so i really dont want any more children right now and the last three of my children were concieved on  different forms of birth control, my doctor just says i am way to fertile so my hubby and i decided to try mirena i had it put in right after my period and did have any issues until two weeks ago i have been bleeding uncontrolably and cramping bad, and i never really had heavy periods until now.  I am anemic so this is really effecting me hardcore, i am always tired and at times feel like i am going to pass out.  Not feasible with 5 kids running around and a full time job, i am going to talk to my dr tomorrow I hope there is a fix for this......:(
I had the mirena fitted 5 months ago due to extremley heavy periods & have bled every day since sometimes it's just a lighter discharge or spotting but still it's something that's causing me to go to the toilet excessively as I am worried about bleeding all the time. My periods used to be very heavy & painful lasting around 5 days, now I have 4 days of medium bleeding bad cramps then 5 days of heavy bleeding then another 4 days till it slows down again to the spotting. After intercourse (the few times we have managed it between bleeding!) I get medium to heavy bleeding again & feel generally uncomfortable. I am due to have a check up with the gynae in February & I am seriously considering asking him to remove it as I am not seeing any benefits, moodier, stressed with the bleeding, tired & the no sex things really making married life a nightmare, sorry I have nothing good to say at all
This is the same exact thing that is happening to me!!! I got mine 4 months pp in 2 days is my 1 month visit.  the insetion was very painful i even felt like i was gonna faint!! I am still bleeding & sometimes its dark brown n does not smell too good at all!! That is the only reason i dont have sex as much as i used to=( i nvr had that issue & hate to feel dirty my hygeine is very imprtant to me... i will go one day or two w no blood and then it comes around again, will it ever stop=( i dont care about the weight gain i could use it hehehe but i am a little sensitive & MOODY not to mention cravings but the nasty smelly blood is the worst part! when there is no blood everything is ok & than randomly it starts especially after sex so embarassing my bf doesnt care but i do!!!
i had mirena put in jan 13 2012 and today is march 25 2012 and  day after it was put in i started bleeding and it never stopped.... i went to see my ob and she said it looked good and it should stop but no it gets light but never stop i notice brown blood which means its old just wants this thing out ..setting up appointment to have it out.... good luck
I feel your pain!!!!
i got mine insered on feb. 22, 2012 8 weeks after the birth of my second son.
i bled for 6 weeks straight after his birth which to me was ok since it happened with my first, but when i went in to get it put in i was fine and dandy for two or 3 days i had super light spotting almost non existent. then on the 3rd day hello says the spotting and 3 days after that the bleeding got heavier and bright red and now 11 days after insertion im still bleeding not heavy but its def there!!!! now im like wtf nobody said i would bleed forever. my periods used to be sort of irregular before my first kid then every 17 of the month like clock work until igot preggo again and im not even sure if ive had my period since!!! also im thinking back to after my insertion and the doc was really vague about how long bleeding would last. omg!!! im getting so sick of mirena right about now. whats the point of having birth control if u cant have sex.......STUPID!!!!
im gonna give mirena til my check up appt to get its crap together before i decide the s.o.b thing has got to!!!!
p.s. im already ready for this darn bleeding to stop so i can have sex!
hopefully this stops before i forget what sex is even like!!! lmfao
i got my mirena on feb 16th, an i was good until i started my period on the 1st of march. an since then ive been on in an today is the 10th of march an its still going. why would they tell me that this helps with your periods an makes them go away an lighter, they never said it would be going on for days at a time. is this normal or should i call my doctor?
I got mine in almost a year ago...havent had a period or spotting since the first month it was in. Seems like I may be the only one...
I'm having the same problem.  I had mine done on March 10, 2012 and its been heavy spotting since then.  Having bled for eight weeks straight after the birth of my second son, I need sex!.  This *****.  I dont know what to do.  I tend to forget my pills hence the reason I turned to Mirena.  I dont want another child now, so missing pills is not an option, since I got pregnant the very next month I stopped them.  But this constant bleeding is driving me crazy.  I miss having relations with my husband.  I thought Mirena was to make my life less complicated..
..My Tubes are tied and I HATE THIS MIRENA.I had the tubal ligation surgery 17 years ago, so I still don't understand WHY I have this stupid thing. I've been complaining for YEARS about the pain and heavy bleeding during my cycle, but at least it was only for 3 days. The FIRST "PRACTICING PHYSICIAN" kept saying it was nothing to be concerned about. I finally went for a 2nd opinion and thought I was going to get the surgery once she discovered that I have fibroids and cysts on BOTH ovaries. And PRACTICING PHYSICIAN #2 stuck this mess in me and I am frustrated BEYOND tears! She put it in on 3/13 and I've been bleeding... not spotting, but bleeding ever since. I keep calling the office telling them the issues, and they keep reminding me of the side effects. Well I'm too dern old to be going through worse than what I was prior to getting this. I can't have sex... frankly, I don't even feel well enough to desire to have it. They keep telling me to wait 6 months, but if I have to go and get a 3rd opinion, this mess is coming out of me. I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT TO MY WORSE ENEMY!! I believe it's the insurance companies telling them to do this crap. Well... they are going to learn TODAY because I'm copying all of these letters and taking them to her to show her that this mess is not normal. I'll update you AFTER my surgery! I'm on a rampage right now. .
Well my mirena has been in for almost 7 months. I bleed for  2 weeks post insertion, then had a 4 week break with no bleeding (bliss), but that is where the good news ends. I have not stopped bleeding since, sometimes light, often heavy. No weight gain , no moods swings, and hardly any sex! I will put up with it until I hit the 12 month mark, if it is no better I will have it taken out, and unfortunately go make to my usual heavy cycle supplimented with iron tabs.
i have the same issue! I had mine inserted when i began my period, in september (9 months ago). Even since i have been on. Usually lasting as long as 20 days, then off for anywhere from 1 day to 6 days. Spotting for a few days then full bright red bleeding, then a few days of darker bleeding. I also have pains in my abdomin and near my belly button. Friends whom have Mirena, say their period stopped completly after the first month of inserting Mirena. Does anyone have any suggestions or clues to what might be going on?
I had my mirena placed in about a month already from The day it was in i imediately started bleedimg!! Been about three weeks now but feels like a century!! Mine is light some days then real bad others...bad cramps!! Its like a never ending period. I had it taken out after i had my first born cause of The same problem, never did i once think it would happen again after my newborn son:( doctor says its totallt normal n about a yr everything will stoo n feel much better!! He highly recomends it n wants me to keep it in this time. Guess this bleeding game is normal ladies!!! Ugh!
I have had this device since Sept.of 2011. heavy flow for the first 3 MONTHS literally! slowly started to have 1-4 days between flow,after about month 5. I started regulating back to normal now at month 8, I'm very frustrated!!! it feels like my period is never going away! and getting worst and worst. CRAMPING, RANDOM SPOTTING, RANDOM GUSHING.... when will it end?    
i got my mirena in jan i had my period for about 3 weeks then it stopped all together, me and my boyfriend do not want anymore kids right now so we have been very carefull! but this past weekend he came back from a 10 week bootcamp (hes in the army) and we had sex without a condom for the first time since before our son was born. ever since then i have had bad cramps and just today i randomly spotted blood one time but thats it! should i be concerned?
I just had my Mirena inserted on the 12th of May, I started my period on time like I was supposed to which was the 15th. I'ts now the 31st and I'm STILL bleeding. I went into my doctors office yesterday because I'm so sick of bleeding since my normal period lasted only 3 days. They prescribed me birth control pills to stop the bleeding along with using Mirena. So I'm giving it a shot, however, I feel like it's over working my heart. Not sure if thats a side effect but I don't like it. Anyways, I was on Nuva Ring before this for years and absolutely loved it. I only switched for 2 reasons, 1. I liked the idea of using Mirena and 2. The cost in the long run is cheaper for me. I'm missing Nuva Ring right about now but still wanna give this a try. =(
I had mine put in April 2012 and u had my son in feburary and I have been bleeding since I had my son it stopped just for a little but before i had it put in but my flow has been heavy none stop
I had the Mirena placed on May 8th. my period lasted for 2 weeks, then it stopped for 8 days. then I got my period (I think?) on may 24 and has been bleeding ever since.  Initially the bleeding was like dripping, but now it is less but still bleeding. My Gyn's nurse stated that this should last for 3 months. My husband and I had sex 1 time during that week of no bleeding. Now we have not had sex since.  We are going on vacation in Aug and he is not pleased because of the bleeding.  Is there anythin I can take to stop this bleeding...I'm going insane!
It is incredibly reassuring to read of these comments. Thank you, ladies! Unfortunately, my experience so far has also been negative. I'm a very athletic, late 30s, and on-the-go with a rewarding but busy career and wanted to try Mirena to deal with periods that had become heavy and long, even causing me to become tired and anemic. Plus the periods are just a drag as you get older, especially when you have life to live, right? I had the Mirena inserted while on my period around mid-April 2012 and now it's two months later, mid-June 2012, and I'm bleeding on nearly a daily basis, sometimes heavy and bright red, sometimes dark. I had one stretch of a few blood free days just after insertion and that was it. I'm feeling worn down and likely anemic again and just wondering when to give up and have it removed. My doctor advised to hang in there at my 2-week, post-insertion check up, but at the point **I'm over it. **

I can barely get the energy to workout the way I used to let alone focus on my love life. I'm not in a relationship or dating and having a non-stop period does not exactly motivate me to get out and date. UGH.
I had my mirena inserted Dec '11. I was on my last day of my regular menstrual cycle, and not even 12 hours after insertion my period returned full force for a good solid 3 months. After that it has been continual spoting non-stop except for the week of my usual cycle it picks up a little heavier. Ive had it about 7 months now. I know the agitation. If it does not regulate after a year I'm seriously thinking of having it removed. Parts of my love life with my husband have been put in hold, I'm sure you all can agree.
Hi breonnae,

I had a similar story with constant bleeding with for the 2 months it was in. Side effects worse than my 1 unbearable contraceptive pill taking episode, so the hormones are definitely going further than into the womb.

Headache, always bleeding, feeling of full/stuffy chest, funny heart beat and the most ridiculous bloating!! I am slim usually, so it was very obvious that this coil made me balloon out around the abdomen. I put on 6 lbs, which seems to be quickly disappearing since removal of Mirena.

I couldn't stick it and had Mirena taken out 8 days ago, now still bleeding. At this time the heavy periods that 'only' used come once a month don't seem so bad. It has to be bad for you to take something which can do this. I'd say my iron levels are lowest ever after these past 3 months. I feel like a very old sick person, I'm just trying to convalesce but how can you build up if you're bleeding every day.
Ugh i've been having the SAME THING. it is very annoying. Just when you you're done spotting BAM its back a few days later if not the next day. I was getting worried since i've had mine for almost 6 or 7 months by now but you guys have made me feel better (well not better but that its happening to others at least). Definitely not what i expected. I will also be scheduling an appointment with my OB soon
I had my mirena put in June 16. 2011 and have had nothing but problems with it...I have really heavy periods now I go through a tampon and a pad in an hour.. I have it for two weeks n it stops for like 3 days n then I start all over again..I have really bad cramps where I can not move...and jus don't feel like doing anything.went to the Dr Nov of 2011 and he said everything is fine and it was still in place..and now I'm feeling sick everyday like I'm pregnant and I took a test and its negative I'm still having my.periods like that and its to the point that it has put a damper on my sex life...and my fiance can feel the strings...plus I been on a diet for the last few months and can't loose any weight exercising and everything cuz I wanna loose my lil baby belly for my wedding..n I never have not lost my baby belly with my first two..idk what to do cuz I jus don't wanna get it removed n end up pregnant again I already have 3 kids and don't want another right now I wanna wait...to have jus one more with my.fiance....has this happened to anyone and what should I do I'm freaking out.. cuz I'm always sick and starving like I'm pregnant but test come up negative n still get my.period heavy Since I got it...
i had mine inserted during my  period. and now i have had 3 periods within the last month. i have really bad pains and i dont know what else to do. can somebody help??
I wish I would have found this forum before I decided to get the Mirena.  I had mine inserted on 9/19, 8 weeks after having my second child.  The insertion was painless but I think that's because the doctor gave me a numbing injection before the process.  A few days after insertion, I started bleeding and I haven't stopped bleeding since.  This is the third week and I am SOOOOOO over it.  I was going to wait it out, but after reading about all these women who've been bleeding for 2 months, 5 months, 9 months! I don't think I'm going to wait any longer to have this crap removed.  I'd rather remember to take a pill everyday instead of having to deal with random spotting and bleeding that can occur any time.  That's just not cool.
I got the mirena Aug '10 and now it is recently acting up! Never had kids just wanted to help wit cramping, BIG MISTAKE!!!! For past 2 months periods r lastin longer than 14 days and it has never shown a sighn of stopping:-( It is over 2 years after insert, I will b getting it out real soon!
i have had mirena in for about two weeks now and i started bleeding when my doc put it in and havnt stopped please can anyone tell me if this is normal!!!
I saw your comment and was wondering if all went back to normal. I am considering getting mine removed. I have bleeding every couple of weeks and painful cramps. I cannot loose the baby weight. Exercise and diet and nothing.
Ive had the mirena for about 5 years now, all was fine and dandy until the last couple years. I've had CONSTANT discharge, to the point that I have to wear a panty-liner every second of my life and now for the last 3 weeks I've been bleeding. Not sure whats goin on but Im convinced its from the Mirena. ANd no its nots not an infection, thats what I thought so I made an appt with my gyno and was on an antibiotic and nothing changed. He said it was normal.
I too wish I had visited this site before I had Mirena placed.  I had it placed on Sept. 17.  I bled for 17 days straight in October. I bled for 27 days straight in November.  I have been bleeding for 12 days (and still counting) in December.  This is SOOOO frustrating.  Yeah, Mirena IS so effective only because you aren't having sex due to non-stop bleeding!!!!!!  I'm going to give it a few more months and if the bleeding hasn't changed, I'm getting it REMOVED!!!
I bleed for 3 weeks and no blood for 4days then back at it again ... seems like my cycle is the total opposite of what it was before mirena.
ive had the mirena in for 3 1/2 months now and have had nonstop heavy bleeding. i will soak thru a super plus tampon in as little as 2hrs. the dr told me this is rare and has me taking a double dose of generess fe birth control for a wk to see if that can stop it and im on my 5th day of that and im still spotting which is so much better than the extreme heavy bleeding ive been having. even if the birth control pill stops the bleeding i think im going to have it taken out. im worried that it will start up again
ive had the mirena put in since december 22nd of 2012 and im still bleeding could it be normal or should i go see my doctor?
Hi, I got mine last year, a month ago I went to get it checked out as it had been 6 months, and Id been getting bad cramps, bleeding and a lot of discomfort. After my scan, we saw the miraena had moved! I got another one put in, and I've been bleeding since, so 3 weeks and in a lot of pain! Don't know what to do!
that is the furthest from the truth. My doctor told me to always check to BE ABLE TO FEEL IT after I had intercourse and after my period to make sure it hadn't migrated.
I have had the morena for almost five yrs I have not had a period for almost a yr and today I wake up and blood is everywhere and I go to the bathroom and pass a blood clot had anyone gone thru this if so what does it mean or what should I do. I an cramping really bad.
I have had a mirena  put in on june 8 and haven't stopped bleeding since its now 15th August and im still spotting so by looking at all these posts it must be normal....but very annoying ... my Dr says if I still have it in a few weeks that I have 2 options...go on some sort of tablet for 21 days and another 1 for 7 days or have a hysterectomy Think I might opt for the tabs as I don't want to have to go on HRT hormone replacement therapy.. as I hear it can cause cancer...
This sounds exactly like whats happening to me. I had my mirena put in on July 28th  (6 weeks after the birth of my daughter and had no period prior to it being put in) about 3 days after insertion I started my period. It lasted 16 days. 2 days later I started to spot and have been spotting on and off ever since. Its not horrible but I do have to wear a panty liner every day so Im not ruining any more underwear. I swear it will be gone but then I'll wipe and it will be a bright red smear on the TP. Did you ever stop spotting and did your period regulate? I honestly dont know if I want to go the next 5 yrs like this. Before mirena I would get my period every month on time and it would only last 3-4 days and would be heavy for only the first or second day. The only reason I have the mirena is because I do not want any more children and my husband is too chicken to get a vasectomy.  
I have had mine in for 4 years. I have had a period every month and the spotting for 2 weeks. Basically I am free 1 week a month. So over it. I am getting it removed this Thursday.
I just got a notification that this thread was moved and thought I'd update.  

I bled for 6 months almost constantly after insertion and then it totally stopped.  I'll get very light spotting (barely even worth using a pad) for a day or two in a regular cycle and then nothing.  I'm not sure if I'd get a second one inserted based on the 6 months of constant bleeding the first time around, but for now it's been good.