Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Bleeding with Mirena

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Bleeding with Mirena

Almost two months ago I had Mirena inserted.  I researched alot and found that alot of people loved it and I loved the idea of have a lite period.  Well my period started on Dec 1.  It was my first period since I had it inserted and it was right on time, no early and not late.  Well I have not stopped bleeding.  It doesn't bother me that much but I was just wondering if anyone else had experiecnced this and how long did it last?  Also my fiance is very large and during intercourse I can feel a sharp pain that I was not experiencing during the few weeks of having Mirena.  I was scared that he may have knocked it out of place but less than two weeks ago I had it checked by my OB and she said it is perfect.  And that I should not worrying.  Can someone please make me feel better about this.
From what I have seen on the website, some women have persistent spotting for a short while, but by the end of the first year, most women either have dramatically lighter af's or none at all.

If you have any questions, definitely refer to www.mirena.com or consult your OB/GYN. You can access the patient insert on Mirena's website and that should help alleviate some of your concerns.

Good luck,
Andi
Hi... I have had the Mirena for 15 months now.  I still have irregular periods, and sometimes they last for 2 weeks.  It is getting annoying, and I am thinking about having it out.  It is putting a damper on my sex life!  I keep waiting month after month, thinking that it will get better, but so far it hasn't.  Sorry to give you this bleak information, but that is how it has been for me.
I had my Mirena placed in Oct 07, and I only went without spotting for 28 days since it has been it place. It is driving me CRAZY. I have an appointment with my OB the end of the month, and I am considering having it removed. I also, have very sharp pains in my sides, thought it was ovulation but it is way to often. I already have 3 children (a set of twins, and a toddler) so I don't want more kids, but I'm not ready to shut my body down that if I change my mind I can't have anymore. I hope all of us find something to work, or this Mirena starts doing what it says it will do.
I have been using Mirena since Dec '06.  I did have spotting on and off during the first 6-12 months.  Things have been perfect from then on.  
I had Mirena place the end of July '08.  My doctor atualy told me to come in when I was on my period.  I had a normal flow day when I went in, as soon as it was inserted I swear it acted like a dam!!  I've been spotting ever since.  And always bright red.  I'll think its finally stopped because I'll have a clean day or two and then BAM bloody underwear.  Is this what everyone is talking about?  Cause man is it getting old.  And I haven't heard of anyone else thats had it inserted DURNING their period!
I had the Mirena inserted 6 months ago and also have experienced heavy, prolonged periods, and spotting.  As many of the other posts here have reported ....its a big pain in the neck and def puts a damper on sex life.  I really thought this was supposed to be maintainance free and help reduce your periods and it really is the opposite!
I got the Mirena in the middle of April 09 and the first week or two I didn't have any spotting, now I have been bleeding for two weeks although it is light. Will it ever stop??? It is getting very aggravating!!! I hope when it stops I will have no more periods.
I had mirena put in 7 weeks ago today. I'm still bleeding. I did stop for 4 but now is about the time i would get a period and believe me I got it. I went to the doctor today who told me to take provera 10 mg. and that will stop the period or at least make it lighter, depends on the flow. But my question is when do I take it. I'm going on vacation next weekend and I don't know should I take it now and the periods stop or take it next week b/c the periods start back. Anyone know
?
I'm thinking about having mine removed. I had mine inserted on Dec08'. i'll have my period for 2 weeks and then have spotting inbetween. Its really frustrating cause my periods used to be very light...would last the max 3 days...well this was before i got pregnant but even after i had my baby the bleeding didnt last that long. Sometime intercourse is painful too.

I'm just wondering how my periods will be after i have it removed? Will it get worst? will it go back to normal? I'm really regretting having it now.
I have had the same problem! OMG its soooo annoying. I have mine put in at the beginning of July and i havent stopped bleeding since. Whats the point of being on birthcontrol if u cant have sex!!! Im going to give it another month or so, but if the bleeding doesnt stop, its coming out!!
I have had it in almost a year, for the first two months after insertion I constantly bled but after that I stopped having period completely. Up until a few days ago when I started bleeding like a normal period with cramps, I am starting to wonder if it came out or something. I am also having the problem of both me and my husband feeling it, thought it might have just been us though. Been thinking about getting it out but to me it is better then all the other options.
If you and your husband can feel it that means it has slipped out of place. You should be checking those strings once a month and making sure that you cant feel it pushing down on your cervix. If there are any changes you should let your OB know!
I had mirena inserted October 2008, and just had it pulled out Sep 8, 2009.  I had bleeding everyday, some days heavy, some days lite.  had a few breaks that lasted 1-3 days, but then it started up again.  had a few occasions where i thought i was hemorraging cuz the bleeding was so heavy and i was cramping so bad.  had numerous ultrasounds, even x-rays, and nothing was wrong.  my doc wants to do a d&c, but i asked to go mirena-free and see if things go back to normal.  i originally went on it because of heavy periods.  and a year later, still bleeding.  it's been 3 days since i've had it out.  day 1 no problems, day 2 spotting, today, full-fledge period-like bleeding.  hope it won't last too long.  this past year has been awful.  no mood swings, or weight gain tho (altho weight loss has been impossible, even with a trainer and diet-plan).  also had a lot of joint pain (mostly shoulders and pelvic).  hope everything returns to normal...
My friend had Mirena put in and she spotted for 6 months straight and then havent had her period again... me on the other hand hand mirena put in and bleeded for like two days and then a week later had my regular period then didnt get my period for 3 months afterwards and when i did i went and got it checked out and they said it was fine but after that i kept getting it every three months and its pretty heavy not light and its been a year now and it seems like the periods are getting closer becasue my last period was in July and then I had it again in September. Its kinda worrying me. I am going to get it checked out today.
Oh yah I forgot to add although I get my period every couple months i don't get cramps anymore not like i used to before i got mirena put in i used to get cramps and sore, weak legs put now its just like bleeding and thats it.
I had the Mirena put in May 09 and had it removed August 09. I had so many problems with that thing! It definetly affected my sex life. Every single time I had sex I had sharp pains on my lower right abdomen, enough to make me cry! I also had shooting pains down my leg, almost like my sciatic nerve. I bled for the first two weeks then I spotted until the second month and had no period then I spotted and bled again before having it removed! It was so annoying! I think that thing caused me problems! Now I have an Endometrioma that wasn't there until after getting the Mireana in, so now I am having to deal with that!
i had mine inserted in july 09 and didn't stop bleeding the whole first month, but at soon as my regular period came a month later..i haven't bled since, i have had cramps and maybe a spot or two....does that seem normal to anyone?
I had my 2nd child on July 4th 2009 and had my Mirena placed August 8th 2009. At that time I was still having postpartum bleeding and my doc seemed to think it was possibly my first period after birth. Now it is October 1st 2009 and I am still bleeding. I do not think it is from birth, but from the Mirena. It is lighter some days then others, but it has never stopped! Has anyone else had non stop bleeding for 8 weeks with this thing?!? I called my OB, but he won't be back in the office until Monday and he will call me then, but I would like some answers sooner!
I had mine inserted during my period LOVESPARKS, and that was Oct. 2008.  I have loved it since I got it done... however tonight (almost a year later), I got my first period/spotting.  Through the first year I didn't have any of it.  I loved it, it's great.  But lately, I've been having pains, my breast are killing me (along with my nipples).  I have read 5 pages full of post of woman talking about how they got pregnant WITHIN the FIRST YEAR!!!  Now I'm stressed out even more than before.  My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 4 years, so I'm not worried about him leaving.  I'm worried because I'm only 24 and I don't want kids now!!
I have had mirena for two weeks now and have bled and cramped non stop worse than i ever have before. to the point its making me anemic and the doctors have decided it has to come out next week if i havent stopped bleeding. Its very frustrating because i want to be able to have sex with my husband but i can't. theres no point in having birth control if i can't have sex!!
I gave birth on October 18, 2009. Had my period on the 18th of November. Had Mirena placed on December 3, 2009. Haven't stopped bleeding since. Exactly 7 days after it was placed I had heavy bleeding the lasted for about 10 days. Ever since then I've been bleeding lightly. So far, I'm not a huge fan of Mirena. It has put a damper on my sex life. My husbands in the Army and he came home for Christmas...too bad we couldn't have sex. Thanks to good old Mirena, lol. Went to the doctor on Jan. 7, 2010 to get it checked. Everything was in place and my Dr. said to give it a little more time (before I decide to have it removed) and that the bleeding should stop by month 3-4. Now that I've read all of these posts...I'm starting to think it's not going to stop anytime soon :(
I had Mirena inserted August 07 (6 weeks after the birth of my daughter).  I didn't have a period for about a year and then I started having small bleeding days but it was dark blood.  About 2 months ago I started having longer and more pronounced bleeding days and the blood not so dark.  This past week, I have been bleeding like I was stabbed. I've dropped many blood clots and am heading to the doc.  It's a great device if it  works the way it was explained but to go from not having a period to having them who knows when at any given time is ridiculous.  I had to leave work the other day because I came thru my pants.  
I have 3 kids. #3 was born on December 2, 2009. I had the mirena inserted 7 weeks post partum on January 19. I was all stressed out about how it was going to feel but it was barely a pinch. I couldn't believe that I had worried over it. My periods have never been heavy and I rarely ever get cramps. After having it inserted I was fine for about the first 2-3days, then I started spotting. I went off and on from spotting to a light period for about 2 months. I stopped bleeding around the middle of March. So far I haven't had any more. Part of me is expecting a spotty period but nothing yet. So I'm doing alright. Just thought I would share my story.
I had Mirena put in on Jan 18th. After the first week, I had 2 days of severe cramping & pain in my legs, stomach, & back. My cycles have been coming regularly every month since it was inserted. They were all typical & lasted for 5-7 days... Until this last one. It came on & lasted for about 5 days. I stopped bleeding for 2 days & I have now been bleeding for 3 weeks & counting. It started of as spotting & now I'm bleeding like crazy. I thought maybe it will get better, but after reading all of the other post, I'm thinking about having it removed!  
I have had the Mirena for about 2 yrs now and havent had a period in a long long time, but a few weeks ago I had bleeding where I actually had to use a tampon and today I started again. Also I've noticed my breasts are very tender. Im very unsure and wonder if anyone else has had this???? Is it possible to get pregnant?
I totally understand what your saying. I got mine almost 10 months ago and am still bleeding all the time. It's usually not heavy but it's there. I agree with the point of why be on birth control if you can't have sex. I went back to the dr and she did an ultrasound that told me that the lining of my uterus was very thin. This is causing the bleeding. So it's not a right fit for me. Also there are cysts on my ovaries this is also a sign that it's not a right fit. So maybe get things checked out and you'll find out the same answer as I did? Good luck!
i got the mirena about 6 weeks ago havent stopped bleeding bright red moderate amount. got a infection during placement took antibiotics for it and now im tierd all the time and taking it out ASAP i am calling doctor tommrw morning. i dont feel its for me i dont have 2 worry about gettng pregnant because i have not wanted to have sex in 6 weeks... id rather take the pill or use a condom .... i think the mirena is not for me i kept waitng to see if bleedingwill stop but after reading numerous posts i think that id be 1 to blled or spot continously....thanks for the info!!
i have had my mirena in for 2 years and 2 months . i have been bleeding ever since .i have to wear a pantyliner everyday because i never no when im gonna bleed or spot or whatever. i only had my period for three days before the mirena now its like 2 weeks .im seriously considering having it removed it is very annoying!!!!!!!!!
i had my mirena inserted about 5 months ago, i love it. i only bleed a few days a month, very lightly. it actually stopped my period all together for about two months but now its back. unfortunatly the cramps are worse on mirena then they were before. other than that i havent had any problems, no weight gain or mood swings. doesnt affect my sex life or anything. also my sister has had mirena for about 2 years as well and her periods have stopped completly. She has no complaints either. hopefully not everyone has such complications with mirena as all the stories ive read. good luck everyone
I just got the Mirena a month ago but am still bleeding and after all these posts about it I am very concerned.  I do not want to wear a pad everyday of the year, that is worse than taking a stinkin' pill everyday.  I sure hope this is worth it because I am tired of bleeding.  I was already bleeding for 6 weeks straight after the birth of my 3rd child and now 6 weeks has turned into 10.  I paid almost 200 out of pocket so I want to give it a chance.
I also just had my third baby and had it placed August 24th and have not stopped bleeding. I am afraid it's not in place.  I have one string going left and one going right.  Does this sound normal?
well that definitly gives me hope. Because I got mine inserted on my period in october 2010 and now its november, but not time for my period yet. Maybe after my 1st period I wont bleed anymore. I feel like I have been bleeding forever. I usually get mine around the 20th and its the 14th so hopefully soon. I really want/wanted mirena because other than the depo shot, its the most conveniant type of birth control. Plus I like the fact that mirena lasts for 5 years and that the hormones it releases doesnt go into your blood stream, they stay right in the unterus. I cant take any really high hormonal birth controls because they give me that pregnant personality, if you catch my drift, lol.. Plus if mirena doesnt work I am going to be scared to try paraguard because I dont want it to do the same thing.
i have one child and i wanted to try mirena, so i had it placed aug 10th i had a few spotting and my periods were normal then on oct26 i had my period for 2 weeks so it got lighter by nov9th but continued to have light spotting after that i had a follow up on the 16th  because i missed my last and since then ive been bleeding very heavy, where i can see small clots of blood, my ob and the nurse assisting said it was normal that my uterus lining was thinning...okay so i feel like its been an endless cycle of bleeding and its affecting our intimacy too..ps my ob said that most ppl can expect heavy bleeding for the first 4months to even 6 months ...i cant take this anymore...i will try it for a full 7-8 months if nothing changes im removing it, because i dont want to have to keep hopeing that it will get better
Ive had Mirena in sense Nov 6 of 2009. I just started bleeding again. Never had a period for the first 6 months then it started back up the last 6 months but only a day maybe 2 days it lasted. the past week it has been heavy and i have been cramping, back pains, and i feel sick and also like im hungry all the time or also an empty feeling. Im considering getting it removed. anyone have any problems like this?
I had my daughter April 7 2010 and then on May 24 was  in a horrible accident broke my leg and back. Then in June  I had the Mirena IUD put in since then I have been bleeding and spotting every single day. I even got a bacterial infection from the Mirena and ObGyn and his nurse tell me it normal. I want to have it out but Ive had problems bleeding with every type of birth control I tried. ANY SUGGESTIONS? PLEASE HELP?
I had my IUD put in 2 weeks ago. I have been spotting off an done since.. Is that normal?? My doctor told me after about a week it should stop but it hasnt..
I had my put in May 2008, the first year I bleed everyday...majority of the time heavy all my Victoria Secret was destroyed.  The second year I actually went some days without bleeding start have a sex life, but a very small one. Third year, I was still losing too much blood.  They but me on these patches that work perfect, however can only be on for three months.  I also try birth control pills before the patches to control the bleeding but all that did was jack up my mood.  Now I am trying the birth control pills along with the Mirena and I am bleeding more.  I cant tell you how many ultrasounds I had, how many exams, the pain...after reading everybody post I know now that I not the only one experience this unlike my doctor said.  I have friends on Mirena and everything is fine, why cant I be that person.  I going get it remove, but what other options are left for me.  How many time can I tell my friend that I am on my period, and expected him to keep believing me.
I had Mirena put in the first of September 2010. I have had off and on spotting every since it was put in. I have had trouble sleeping and until I read a couple of the replies didn't relize it could be due to the Mirena. My face stays broke out and can not get it to clear up, I have become very moody, the cramps have gotten much worse, I stay bloated all the time, I have gain 10 pds and can not get it to come off no matter how hard I try. Maybe this is right for some people but it is defenitly wrong for me. Making an appt. to have it removed tomarrow.
I had Mirena put in mid-December, and I have had bleeding almost every single day.  Every once in a while I'll get a 1-2 day break, then it's back again.  Sometimes it's bright red, sometimes pink, sometimes brownish.  Then because there is always discharge, the constant moisture has caused yeast infections, then because I couldn't stop myself from scratching because it itched so bad, I damaged the sensitive skin down there.  I can't take it anymore and I will call my OB to have it removed ASAP.  My husband says "just have it removed!"  He is almost more frustrated than I am!  I am glad to hear so many other women are having these types of problems because I have 2 sisters who have Mirena and LOVE it.  I cannot deal with it anymore, it's just not for me and it's not worth it for how much I am suffering.  Thanks to everyone for sharing because you made my decision so much easier.  After reading about women who bled like this for 10 months, a year, 2 years - forget it!  I'm having it removed.  We have 2 kids, and I would rather go back on the pill or use condoms until my husband gets his vasectomy, which he has promised to do.  Birth control doesn't have to be solely my responsibility!!!  
I had mirena place Dec. 3, 2010. I had spotting every day for the first 5 weeks...nothing heavy, just annoying. It basically just bothered the sex life but my boyfriend dealt with it. It wasthe dark blood like a lot of people have mentioned so i was ok with it, just thought it was normal and would pass. I went back to my OB GYN 6 weeks later to have an ultrasound to make sure placement was fine & it was...but i had an ovarian cyst the size of a tennis ball on my right ovary. My OB told me to come back in 8 weeks to recheck & it was gone..thank goodness because it was PAINFUL!! Now i'm having NO period or spotting which is nice except the fact I keep worrying if it's normal or im pregnant..i think my boyfriend is starting to worry to. I was just wondering if anyone else has had their menstruation stop completely in 4 months of having it placed??
I am 26 years old and I have 3 children so I was 100% sure I didn't want any more children. I decided mirena would be the best decision for me because I didn't want to do something as invasive as surgery to get my tubes tied. I got it inserted in August of 2010 and it's now April of 2011 and I am bleeding almost every single day. I was told irregular bleeding was normal for the first 3-6 months but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I don't know how you can even get pregnant when you're bleeding all the time and can't have intercourse anyway. I'm starting to think that's the way it prevents pregnancy. I am seriously considering getting it removed if it's not any better by August of this year. I don't get heavy periods but they're always there. I'm always having to worry about spotting so I have to always bring tampons with me wherever I go. This is very frustrating! I read all these stories about how people haven't bled since getting theirs and it makes me angry and jealous! I just want to be normal again! I think getting my tubes tied is now my best option. Invasive or not, at least I will be normal again!
I had mine inserted Jan 10th and I've only had 2 weeks of total time during this that has been period free.  I bleed so bad at one point I went to emerge cause I was worried it punctured something.  I haven't told The Man so it's making it VERY hard to keep this a secret.  I wanted to have the essure procedure but there aren't any doctors trained in my Province to do this procedure as of yet.  It's making me super pissed off, I can't beilieve I paid money for this stupid thing.  I'm giving it two more months and I'm taking it out.
I just got the mirena put in the 12th of May, it's now June 1st; I haven't stopped bleeding. I had my period, less than 24 hours of no bleeding and now it's a lot of bright blood. I'm worried but I'm afraid to tell dear hubs and I hate doctors so I really don't want to have to go back and get it removed. I really hope this bleeding clears up, because I'm frustrated. My baby's already a handful bc of reflux, so there's been 0 sex life.
I had mirena put two months ago,i have been bleeding since.I will have a couple of days where i think im done and BOOM there it is again.Its driving me crazy.Its putting a huge damper on my sex life:( i just want to no if anyone else is exsperence this and will it ever STOP??
i got mine inserted on may 4th and have been bleeding ever since as well. i saw the dr last thurs and she sent me for an ultrasound last friday and i just saw her for a follow up appt and said everything looked normal and it is just my body getting used to the hormones and if i can stick it out for a couple more months of this heavy bleeding it is worth it in the end :)
I am on my 2nd Mirena. My first Mirena caused no problems at all. I had my period twice after the insertion with light spotting in between and then I didn't bleed AT ALL for the rest of the time (4 years 8 months) that it was in place. I LOVE Mirena. I just had my Mirena replaced, however, and maybe I am being a baby about this because I went so long without a period that I have become spoiled, but I have been bleeding heavily for 3 days and that's not normal for me at all. Even without Mirena my periods were light and only lasted 2-3 days. I am worried about how long this is going to go on. I want to have sex with my boyfriend! Ugh.
I am on my 2nd Mirena.  I had it inserted in Dec 2010 and have had periods every month since insertion.  They have been lasting for 3 weeks at a time with maybe a 2 1/2 week break.  This month has been the worst because i've been bleeding so heavy that I took a second trip to the OB.  My first trip was because my regular dr. sent me due to anemia.  The OB has put me on a hormone to try and stop the bleeding but it has not worked.  I had an ultra sound to make sure that it is in place and it is.  It was discovered that I have five fibroids at about 2cm in diameter and an enlarged uterus.  I am going back to OB tomorrow to cry out for some kind of relief.  I have two kids and do not want anymore so I will be open to whatever permanent birthcontrol method recommended.
I've had my Mirena for eleven months. Up until recently, it's been great. I've had regular "periods" which amounted to very light spotting for two days, every 25 days. But about a week after my last period, I started bleeding really heavily with lots of clots and pain. It's been seven days now, and I'm still bleeding, though it's a bit lighter. The blood has gone from deep red to pink and mucosy. My doctor says it could be the progesterone causing the bleeding, and to wait a week and reevaluate. I thought it may have become dislodged or something, since the bleeding was so out of the ordinary, but she doesn't seem to think so. I know something is up, I just hope it's nothing serious.
I just thought i would add my comments here as I have been reading everyone elses and they have been very helpful.

I had the Mirena inserted early April and have bled every single day since. (14 weeks now).  The Specialist says 'hang in there' but easier for her to say.  I am sick of it and over it so went to see my Doctor and she said that it is not normal at all (Specialist agreed too but said I could be in that low percentage of women that do have problems).  

Anyway, My Doctor explained to me that the Mirena releases a certain percentage of hormone that has been work out on the average women and that she thinks my hormone levels must be higher than what the mirena is releasing, hence the constant bleeding.  The hormone is not doing what it should be doing and that is lining the uterus wall etc.  So..... she has put me on the mini pill to up the level of hormones to hopefully sort it out and after 6 - 10 days should stop bleeding.  6 days into it now and not stopping, but having clots now so that is making me think it is trying to stop but then not and loosing the clots.

If this doesnt work she said there is not point on staying on it and we will have to work something out.  Thank goodness for medical insurance as I would have been really peeved if i had to pay the $3,000NZ it cost me to have it put in (under a specialist).

Anyway, thought i would share especially about the hormone levels the mirena releases as it makes sense to me.

I Have 2 children, After my first child I had mirena put in with no problems. Before I had a very light period for about 2 days. but after the mirena i had a heavier period, not that heavy but more than before and they lasted a full 7 days. but i loved it!!!!  Then i had my second child and after having the mirena for the second time i spot all the time on and off. and random small cramps, yes its annoying but its such a simple birth control and id rather deal with the spotting then ALL the other stuff that comes with another child!    

But with my 2 different reactions to the 2 times ive had the mirena. Id say dnt knock it off ur list, if its not for u then ok, but maybe u should have it taken out and then try it again later!  I absolutely LOVE it!    

And i dnt care about bleeding or spotting and neither does my husband. It doesnt ruin our sex life at all. I dnt like half the stuff that comes out of a man so he should deal with what comes out of me!
I had mirena put in 2 years ago after having my first child I had it put in around July and it fell out in November I got pregnant shortly after it fell out. While it was in a bled non stop for 2 months then didnt have another period until it fell out. I too had very bad pain in my right and left side during intercourse. So bad that I cried everytime I had sex. I just had it put back in at the beginning of May. I have not quit bleeding yet. Its not just spotting I am changing my tampons every half an hour. I am also starting to experience the pain again. I have an appointment with my doctor to get it out again
I like everyone have a complaint about the iud. I had the plant inserted 6 weeks after my first childs birth. I had an ongoing period for about 3 weeks, and then it stopped. I then received a normal 5 day period. However each month after, my period is  lasting longer each month. So during my grace period, I get it on with my husband, and then what you know, the damn thing is back, a light period for a few days, and then just spotting. I do my monthly inspections, all seems to be fine. My friends are not expericing the issues that are occuring with me. I am about to give up, Mirena seems to be so user friendly and simple. Damn, I really want to stick with it, but there really is no point for birth control with a non existing SEX life. Take care!
I had my mirena inserted in May 11 as a treament for primary Dysmenorrhea.  it is now september and i have bled non-stop, had awful pains and cramping, clotting, emotional mess, anemia, etc.  i have been told to give it 6 months before i have it removed but this is getting totally ridiculous!  my gyno said that there is a 97% satisfaction rate and that i am in the 3% - but there seems to be a lot of us on this forum alone... perhaps the statistics are wrong???
I am actually very satisfied with mine! Had 1 from 2006 and just replaced again in 2011.  Never bled and never had any other complications.  It has been great!!
I had Mirena inserted in August of this year, and I've bled every day since then. For awhile it kind of stopped, or was extremely light, but then this weekend it seemed like I got my period, along with cramps and the whole deal. But I was kind of concerned, so I checked for the strings and they're almost sticking out, but I can't feel the device itself at all. I'm kind of worried, not sure what that means. Going to call my doc today. But I'm young, haven't had any kids, and really hope it's not like, doing damage. Has anyone else had that problem?
I am having the EXACT same issue as you. I got the Mirena in August as well and haven't stopped bleeding. I also checked my strings and they seem really low compared to the first time I checked them. I also can't feel the device but I am also kind of worried. Did you ever figure anything out about yours? This bleeding really needs to stop b/c I am tired of it. I thought it sounded so great to not have to take a pill everyday and not have to worry about it for 5 years but so far this is definitely NOT worth it!
I had Mirena inserted on the 20th of September, and got my period the next day.  It hasn't stopped yet.  Has gotten lighter after the first week, then came back with a vengence about 3 days ago.  I have always had quite irregular, and increasingly heavy periods as I got older so I thought Mirena might help.  I didn't use to have any pains, but after my first daughter 6 years ago, it got worse while I was on the regular IUD.  I have a friend who says Mirena is great, but so far, seeing as I haven;'t stopped bleeding I haven't seen the benefits!  Also, I never thought till I read here, I have had A LOT of trouble sleeping.  In fact I take half a sleeping pill almost every night, and the times I thin kI am so tired and don't take one, i just simply don't sleep!  My husband said he can feel a 'scratchy' sensation when we have sex and was a little bit sore after one particular time.  It's still early days, so I will give it a bit more time, but after reading all of these comments, I am having second thoughts about having it.
i now have 3 children and i had the mirena placed in may of this year. i did not bleed for 3 months and then OVERFLOOD! i have not stoped. it has been 7 weeks now and i am so drained. the main reason i got it was to help with my long pireods, but its only mad it wers. i hate this thing. i cant have sex because it hurts too much. i am going to have it removed
had it inserted 5 months ago and have been spotting/bleeding almost every day for the exception of two, two week periods that I had no bleeding!  My doctor told me it was nomal and that the heavier your periods were, the longer it would take to shed the entire lining that rebuilds.  I am giving it ancouple of weeks.  The good thing is that there are no other side effects or discomfort, so that is why I am willing to give it some time.
good to hear that...I had it put in 5 months ago and spot almost every day.  :(
I HAD MINE INSERTED WHILE ON MY PERIOD. CURRENTLY, I AM BLEEDING EXCESSIVELY. I HAD TO BE PLACED ON IRON BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF BLOOD LOSS.  I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING REMOVAL
I am glad to read that others are experiencing the same issues as I am.  I has my son in Jan 2009 and had Mirena placed in March 2009.  Originally it was great - here and there bleeding but I read that was possible.  Then I started bleeding most days and it has been that way until now (Dec 2011).  I was thinking about removing it as well at my next annual exam because I feel like I have my period (albeit very light) for 20 out of 30 days per month at least.  Now, of course, it has stopped for the past few weeks.  It is annoying because you don't know if it is coming or not and I have to wear a panty liner every day.  I mentioned this to my Dr last year and then had a sonagram but nothing was unusual.  I worry it is something else which is why I wanted to remove it to see if it would stop.  I am more comforted that others are having a similar experience.
Had mine inserted 2009. Use to have regular periods with bad headaches. Migraine like. So now 2 years later.... Bleeding irregular, recently bright red that ruins all my clothes, because it is never expected. Sting pains in side. Also my husband moans that it hurts him. Hey ho mirena ruined my sex life, my marriage and my clothing! Subsequently budget also ruined. BUT migraine has not returned!!! Only light headache that I now blame on stress related to husbands grumpiness towards sexlife! :-) making my appointment to have this thing scrutinised.  
I had mirena out in on 12/12/2011 for the reason i have 4 children and a step daughter all under the age of 9 so i really dont want any more children right now and the last three of my children were concieved on  different forms of birth control, my doctor just says i am way to fertile so my hubby and i decided to try mirena i had it put in right after my period and did have any issues until two weeks ago i have been bleeding uncontrolably and cramping bad, and i never really had heavy periods until now.  I am anemic so this is really effecting me hardcore, i am always tired and at times feel like i am going to pass out.  Not feasible with 5 kids running around and a full time job, i am going to talk to my dr tomorrow I hope there is a fix for this......:(
I had the mirena fitted 5 months ago due to extremley heavy periods & have bled every day since sometimes it's just a lighter discharge or spotting but still it's something that's causing me to go to the toilet excessively as I am worried about bleeding all the time. My periods used to be very heavy & painful lasting around 5 days, now I have 4 days of medium bleeding bad cramps then 5 days of heavy bleeding then another 4 days till it slows down again to the spotting. After intercourse (the few times we have managed it between bleeding!) I get medium to heavy bleeding again & feel generally uncomfortable. I am due to have a check up with the gynae in February & I am seriously considering asking him to remove it as I am not seeing any benefits, moodier, stressed with the bleeding, tired & the no sex things really making married life a nightmare, sorry I have nothing good to say at all
This is the same exact thing that is happening to me!!! I got mine 4 months pp in 2 days is my 1 month visit.  the insetion was very painful i even felt like i was gonna faint!! I am still bleeding & sometimes its dark brown n does not smell too good at all!! That is the only reason i dont have sex as much as i used to=( i nvr had that issue & hate to feel dirty my hygeine is very imprtant to me... i will go one day or two w no blood and then it comes around again, will it ever stop=( i dont care about the weight gain i could use it hehehe but i am a little sensitive & MOODY not to mention cravings but the nasty smelly blood is the worst part! when there is no blood everything is ok & than randomly it starts especially after sex so embarassing my bf doesnt care but i do!!!
i had mirena put in jan 13 2012 and today is march 25 2012 and  day after it was put in i started bleeding and it never stopped.... i went to see my ob and she said it looked good and it should stop but no it gets light but never stop i notice brown blood which means its old just wants this thing out ..setting up appointment to have it out.... good luck
I feel your pain!!!!
i got mine insered on feb. 22, 2012 8 weeks after the birth of my second son.
i bled for 6 weeks straight after his birth which to me was ok since it happened with my first, but when i went in to get it put in i was fine and dandy for two or 3 days i had super light spotting almost non existent. then on the 3rd day hello says the spotting and 3 days after that the bleeding got heavier and bright red and now 11 days after insertion im still bleeding not heavy but its def there!!!! now im like wtf nobody said i would bleed forever. my periods used to be sort of irregular before my first kid then every 17 of the month like clock work until igot preggo again and im not even sure if ive had my period since!!! also im thinking back to after my insertion and the doc was really vague about how long bleeding would last. omg!!! im getting so sick of mirena right about now. whats the point of having birth control if u cant have sex.......STUPID!!!!
im gonna give mirena til my check up appt to get its crap together before i decide the s.o.b thing has got to!!!!
p.s. im already ready for this darn bleeding to stop so i can have sex!
hopefully this stops before i forget what sex is even like!!! lmfao
i got my mirena on feb 16th, an i was good until i started my period on the 1st of march. an since then ive been on in an today is the 10th of march an its still going. why would they tell me that this helps with your periods an makes them go away an lighter, they never said it would be going on for days at a time. is this normal or should i call my doctor?
I got mine in almost a year ago...havent had a period or spotting since the first month it was in. Seems like I may be the only one...
I'm having the same problem.  I had mine done on March 10, 2012 and its been heavy spotting since then.  Having bled for eight weeks straight after the birth of my second son, I need sex!.  This *****.  I dont know what to do.  I tend to forget my pills hence the reason I turned to Mirena.  I dont want another child now, so missing pills is not an option, since I got pregnant the very next month I stopped them.  But this constant bleeding is driving me crazy.  I miss having relations with my husband.  I thought Mirena was to make my life less complicated..
..My Tubes are tied and I HATE THIS MIRENA.I had the tubal ligation surgery 17 years ago, so I still don't understand WHY I have this stupid thing. I've been complaining for YEARS about the pain and heavy bleeding during my cycle, but at least it was only for 3 days. The FIRST "PRACTICING PHYSICIAN" kept saying it was nothing to be concerned about. I finally went for a 2nd opinion and thought I was going to get the surgery once she discovered that I have fibroids and cysts on BOTH ovaries. And PRACTICING PHYSICIAN #2 stuck this mess in me and I am frustrated BEYOND tears! She put it in on 3/13 and I've been bleeding... not spotting, but bleeding ever since. I keep calling the office telling them the issues, and they keep reminding me of the side effects. Well I'm too dern old to be going through worse than what I was prior to getting this. I can't have sex... frankly, I don't even feel well enough to desire to have it. They keep telling me to wait 6 months, but if I have to go and get a 3rd opinion, this mess is coming out of me. I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT TO MY WORSE ENEMY!! I believe it's the insurance companies telling them to do this crap. Well... they are going to learn TODAY because I'm copying all of these letters and taking them to her to show her that this mess is not normal. I'll update you AFTER my surgery! I'm on a rampage right now. .
Well my mirena has been in for almost 7 months. I bleed for  2 weeks post insertion, then had a 4 week break with no bleeding (bliss), but that is where the good news ends. I have not stopped bleeding since, sometimes light, often heavy. No weight gain , no moods swings, and hardly any sex! I will put up with it until I hit the 12 month mark, if it is no better I will have it taken out, and unfortunately go make to my usual heavy cycle supplimented with iron tabs.
i have the same issue! I had mine inserted when i began my period, in september (9 months ago). Even since i have been on. Usually lasting as long as 20 days, then off for anywhere from 1 day to 6 days. Spotting for a few days then full bright red bleeding, then a few days of darker bleeding. I also have pains in my abdomin (abdomen) and near my belly button. Friends whom have Mirena, say their period stopped completly after the first month of inserting Mirena. Does anyone have any suggestions or clues to what might be going on?
I had my mirena placed in about a month already from The day it was in i imediately started bleedimg!! Been about three weeks now but feels like a century!! Mine is light some days then real bad others...bad cramps!! Its like a never ending period. I had it taken out after i had my first born cause of The same problem, never did i once think it would happen again after my newborn son:( doctor says its totallt normal n about a yr everything will stoo n feel much better!! He highly recomends it n wants me to keep it in this time. Guess this bleeding game is normal ladies!!! Ugh!
I have had this device since Sept.of 2011. heavy flow for the first 3 MONTHS literally! slowly started to have 1-4 days between flow,after about month 5. I started regulating back to normal now at month 8, I'm very frustrated!!! it feels like my period is never going away! and getting worst and worst. CRAMPING, RANDOM SPOTTING, RANDOM GUSHING.... when will it end?    
i got my mirena in jan i had my period for about 3 weeks then it stopped all together, me and my boyfriend do not want anymore kids right now so we have been very carefull! but this past weekend he came back from a 10 week bootcamp (hes in the army) and we had sex without a condom for the first time since before our son was born. ever since then i have had bad cramps and just today i randomly spotted blood one time but thats it! should i be concerned?
I just had my Mirena inserted on the 12th of May, I started my period on time like I was supposed to which was the 15th. I'ts now the 31st and I'm STILL bleeding. I went into my doctors office yesterday because I'm so sick of bleeding since my normal period lasted only 3 days. They prescribed me birth control pills to stop the bleeding along with using Mirena. So I'm giving it a shot, however, I feel like it's over working my heart. Not sure if thats a side effect but I don't like it. Anyways, I was on Nuva Ring before this for years and absolutely loved it. I only switched for 2 reasons, 1. I liked the idea of using Mirena and 2. The cost in the long run is cheaper for me. I'm missing Nuva Ring right about now but still wanna give this a try. =(
I had mine put in April 2012 and u had my son in feburary and I have been bleeding since I had my son it stopped just for a little but before i had it put in but my flow has been heavy none stop
I had the Mirena placed on May 8th. my period lasted for 2 weeks, then it stopped for 8 days. then I got my period (I think?) on may 24 and has been bleeding ever since.  Initially the bleeding was like dripping, but now it is less but still bleeding. My Gyn's nurse stated that this should last for 3 months. My husband and I had sex 1 time during that week of no bleeding. Now we have not had sex since.  We are going on vacation in Aug and he is not pleased because of the bleeding.  Is there anythin I can take to stop this bleeding...I'm going insane!
It is incredibly reassuring to read of these comments. Thank you, ladies! Unfortunately, my experience so far has also been negative. I'm a very athletic, late 30s, and on-the-go with a rewarding but busy career and wanted to try Mirena to deal with periods that had become heavy and long, even causing me to become tired and anemic. Plus the periods are just a drag as you get older, especially when you have life to live, right? I had the Mirena inserted while on my period around mid-April 2012 and now it's two months later, mid-June 2012, and I'm bleeding on nearly a daily basis, sometimes heavy and bright red, sometimes dark. I had one stretch of a few blood free days just after insertion and that was it. I'm feeling worn down and likely anemic again and just wondering when to give up and have it removed. My doctor advised to hang in there at my 2-week, post-insertion check up, but at the point **I'm over it. **

I can barely get the energy to workout the way I used to let alone focus on my love life. I'm not in a relationship or dating and having a non-stop period does not exactly motivate me to get out and date. UGH.
I had my mirena inserted Dec '11. I was on my last day of my regular menstrual cycle, and not even 12 hours after insertion my period returned full force for a good solid 3 months. After that it has been continual spoting non-stop except for the week of my usual cycle it picks up a little heavier. Ive had it about 7 months now. I know the agitation. If it does not regulate after a year I'm seriously thinking of having it removed. Parts of my love life with my husband have been put in hold, I'm sure you all can agree.
Hi breonnae,

I had a similar story with constant bleeding with for the 2 months it was in. Side effects worse than my 1 unbearable contraceptive pill taking episode, so the hormones are definitely going further than into the womb.

Headache, always bleeding, feeling of full/stuffy chest, funny heart beat and the most ridiculous bloating!! I am slim usually, so it was very obvious that this coil made me balloon out around the abdomen. I put on 6 lbs, which seems to be quickly disappearing since removal of Mirena.

I couldn't stick it and had Mirena taken out 8 days ago, now still bleeding. At this time the heavy periods that 'only' used come once a month don't seem so bad. It has to be bad for you to take something which can do this. I'd say my iron levels are lowest ever after these past 3 months. I feel like a very old sick person, I'm just trying to convalesce but how can you build up if you're bleeding every day.
Ugh i've been having the SAME THING. it is very annoying. Just when you you're done spotting BAM its back a few days later if not the next day. I was getting worried since i've had mine for almost 6 or 7 months by now but you guys have made me feel better (well not better but that its happening to others at least). Definitely not what i expected. I will also be scheduling an appointment with my OB soon
I had my mirena put in June 16. 2011 and have had nothing but problems with it...I have really heavy periods now I go through a tampon and a pad in an hour.. I have it for two weeks n it stops for like 3 days n then I start all over again..I have really bad cramps where I can not move...and jus don't feel like doing anything.went to the Dr Nov of 2011 and he said everything is fine and it was still in place..and now I'm feeling sick everyday like I'm pregnant and I took a test and its negative I'm still having my.periods like that and its to the point that it has put a damper on my sex life...and my fiance can feel the strings...plus I been on a diet for the last few months and can't loose any weight exercising and everything cuz I wanna loose my lil baby belly for my wedding..n I never have not lost my baby belly with my first two..idk what to do cuz I jus don't wanna get it removed n end up pregnant again I already have 3 kids and don't want another right now I wanna wait...to have jus one more with my.fiance....has this happened to anyone and what should I do I'm freaking out.. cuz I'm always sick and starving like I'm pregnant but test come up negative n still get my.period heavy Since I got it...
i had mine inserted during my  period. and now i have had 3 periods within the last month. i have really bad pains and i dont know what else to do. can somebody help??
I wish I would have found this forum before I decided to get the Mirena.  I had mine inserted on 9/19, 8 weeks after having my second child.  The insertion was painless but I think that's because the doctor gave me a numbing injection before the process.  A few days after insertion, I started bleeding and I haven't stopped bleeding since.  This is the third week and I am SOOOOOO over it.  I was going to wait it out, but after reading about all these women who've been bleeding for 2 months, 5 months, 9 months! I don't think I'm going to wait any longer to have this crap removed.  I'd rather remember to take a pill everyday instead of having to deal with random spotting and bleeding that can occur any time.  That's just not cool.
I got the mirena Aug '10 and now it is recently acting up! Never had kids just wanted to help wit cramping, BIG MISTAKE!!!! For past 2 months periods r lastin longer than 14 days and it has never shown a sighn of stopping:-( It is over 2 years after insert, I will b getting it out real soon!
i have had mirena in for about two weeks now and i started bleeding when my doc put it in and havnt stopped please can anyone tell me if this is normal!!!
I saw your comment and was wondering if all went back to normal. I am considering getting mine removed. I have bleeding every couple of weeks and painful cramps. I cannot loose the baby weight. Exercise and diet and nothing.
Ive had the mirena for about 5 years now, all was fine and dandy until the last couple years. I've had CONSTANT discharge, to the point that I have to wear a panty-liner every second of my life and now for the last 3 weeks I've been bleeding. Not sure whats goin on but Im convinced its from the Mirena. ANd no its nots not an infection, thats what I thought so I made an appt with my gyno and was on an antibiotic and nothing changed. He said it was normal.
I too wish I had visited this site before I had Mirena placed.  I had it placed on Sept. 17.  I bled for 17 days straight in October. I bled for 27 days straight in November.  I have been bleeding for 12 days (and still counting) in December.  This is SOOOO frustrating.  Yeah, Mirena IS so effective only because you aren't having sex due to non-stop bleeding!!!!!!  I'm going to give it a few more months and if the bleeding hasn't changed, I'm getting it REMOVED!!!
I bleed for 3 weeks and no blood for 4days then back at it again ... seems like my cycle is the total opposite of what it was before mirena.
ive had the mirena in for 3 1/2 months now and have had nonstop heavy bleeding. i will soak thru a super plus tampon in as little as 2hrs. the dr told me this is rare and has me taking a double dose of generess fe birth control for a wk to see if that can stop it and im on my 5th day of that and im still spotting which is so much better than the extreme heavy bleeding ive been having. even if the birth control pill stops the bleeding i think im going to have it taken out. im worried that it will start up again
ive had the mirena put in since december 22nd of 2012 and im still bleeding could it be normal or should i go see my doctor?
Hi, I got mine last year, a month ago I went to get it checked out as it had been 6 months, and Id been getting bad cramps, bleeding and a lot of discomfort. After my scan, we saw the miraena had moved! I got another one put in, and I've been bleeding since, so 3 weeks and in a lot of pain! Don't know what to do!
that is the furthest from the truth. My doctor told me to always check to BE ABLE TO FEEL IT after I had intercourse and after my period to make sure it hadn't migrated.
I have had the morena for almost five yrs I have not had a period for almost a yr and today I wake up and blood is everywhere and I go to the bathroom and pass a blood clot had anyone gone thru this if so what does it mean or what should I do. I an cramping really bad.
I have had a mirena  put in on june 8 and haven't stopped bleeding since its now 15th August and im still spotting so by looking at all these posts it must be normal....but very annoying ... my Dr says if I still have it in a few weeks that I have 2 options...go on some sort of tablet for 21 days and another 1 for 7 days or have a hysterectomy Think I might opt for the tabs as I don't want to have to go on HRT hormone replacement therapy.. as I hear it can cause cancer...
This sounds exactly like whats happening to me. I had my mirena put in on July 28th  (6 weeks after the birth of my daughter and had no period prior to it being put in) about 3 days after insertion I started my period. It lasted 16 days. 2 days later I started to spot and have been spotting on and off ever since. Its not horrible but I do have to wear a panty liner every day so Im not ruining any more underwear. I swear it will be gone but then I'll wipe and it will be a bright red smear on the TP. Did you ever stop spotting and did your period regulate? I honestly dont know if I want to go the next 5 yrs like this. Before mirena I would get my period every month on time and it would only last 3-4 days and would be heavy for only the first or second day. The only reason I have the mirena is because I do not want any more children and my husband is too chicken to get a vasectomy.  
I have had mine in for 4 years. I have had a period every month and the spotting for 2 weeks. Basically I am free 1 week a month. So over it. I am getting it removed this Thursday.
I just got a notification that this thread was moved and thought I'd update.  

I bled for 6 months almost constantly after insertion and then it totally stopped.  I'll get very light spotting (barely even worth using a pad) for a day or two in a regular cycle and then nothing.  I'm not sure if I'd get a second one inserted based on the 6 months of constant bleeding the first time around, but for now it's been good.