Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Break through bleeding?

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Break through bleeding?

I'm 22 years old and I've been on BC for about 3 years. I was bleeding so much it made me anemic so that's why I got on the pill.  After about 2 years on the same  pill my periods would last up to 2 mos long. My doctor switched my pill and I've been on it for about a year. I'm still having extremely long periods. Is this just break through bleeding? And how can I make it STOP. it's embarrassing to talk about to my partner and we have a non existing sex life. I'm completely miserable and have began to get depressed over the situation. I feel my obgyn isn't concerned and isn't giving me a method that will completely stop it. I need help/answers!  
HI!
If you were my patient, I would discuss with you the possibility of a Mirena IUD.  After a few months of use, a high percentage if patients become amenorrheic (no period) or have only occassional spotting. There is nothing to remember, so there is no chance of missing a pill and having breakthrough bleeding for the entire cycle. It also provides excellent contraception which is more reliable than pills, also because it is not dependent upon memory.
Hope this helps!
Dr B