Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
CHANGING MENSTRUAL CYCLE
About This Forum:

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

CHANGING MENSTRUAL CYCLE

I HAVE BEEN TAKING ORTHO TRICYCLEN FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW AFTER HAVING MY FIRST CHILD. I JUST REALIZED THAT NEXT MONTH, THE WEEK WE ARE GOING TO JAMAICA FOR OUR 10TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY, IS GOING TO BE THE WEEK I NORMALLY HAVE MY PERIOD! I WOULD NORMALLY START MY SUGAR PILLS TOMORROW FOR THIS MONTH. IF I JUST START A NEW PACK OF ACTIVE PILLS,HOPEFULLY SKIPPING THIS MONTHS PERIOD, SHOULD THIS ALLOW ME TO THEN HAVE MY PERIOD THE WEEK BEFORE I GO ON MY TRIP INSTEAD? ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS TO MENSTRUAL SUPPRESSION AND DO YOU THINK I WILL HAVE ANY SUCCESS SINCE I AM ONLY DOING IT FOR ONE MONTH?
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi! If you were my patient, I would advise you to go ahead and try your plan. There is absolutely no reason health-wise not to do it.  One other option would be to start your new pack the same week you are on your trip (In other words instead of taking the placebos during your trip as your schedule currently stands, you would start your new pack and skip that period entirely.
I know this way works. Your plan probably would work too!
Enjoy your trip!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker