Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Can Heavy Cough Cause Period Or to Lose IUD??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

I started getting a really bad cough on Sunday and today is Tuesday. It definately got stronger as the past couple of days has gone.  I had my son April of 2011 and had Mirena put in in May of 2011. I have not had a peroid since August of 2011.  Today, I went to the bathroom and to my surprise, I have my period.  Could it be a.) beacuse I have been coughing so hard for the past 3 days or b.) because possibly my mirena came out?  I am not on any medications and I am just a little concerned. I called the OBGYN and am waiting to hear back if I should go in our not, but figured I would ask on here while I wait.  Anybody else had this happen?
periods can come and go while on the mirena... you could just check for the string on the iud and that would be an easy answer to your question
are you having any abdominal pain? cause it could be possible that it moved and perforated the uterus so if you do not feel the string make an appt with the dr
I just had the same thing happen to me and started to search the internet for the same question. I had an iud when my son was born almost 9 years ago. I had it replaced with a new on about 4 years ago. I love them. I have been really sick with a bad bad heavy cough and never before had a period at all....no spotting no bleeding ever. And yesterday and toda I'm bleeding like a period. Just concerened a little. I do feel the strings which is good. Just wondering how your check up went? Please share. thanks so much!
Crystal