Can copper IUD cause thickening of the uterus wall?
I am 43 and 1.5 years ago got copper IUD inserted by family doctor. Last summer I started to experience clear, odorless mucus discharge tinted with blood. The discharge would start one week after the end of my period and would last for a week or so, then it would disappear until next period. Also I started to experience very heavy periods that would last for up to 3 days. Very heavy flow. Last lime I even felt light headed in the morning. I went to see my fam. doc and he send me for an ultrasound that showed that the uterus wall near an IUD is thicker than usual. He send me to a specialist. He also mentioned that it can be just an inflammation or ...cancer. I am very upset since it may take weeks or even months to hear from specialist. I do not have any results, but I am freaking out and the thoughts that are coming into my head are very scary. I have 6.5 and 9 year kids. Any idea of what it can be????
I just ran across your post.  I am 38.5 years old and have had a copper iud for 10 months.  It took a while to stop bleeding after insertion, then my periods were regular except that there were 3 days of extremely heavy bleeding.  This past month, however, I had spotting 1 week prior to my period with about 2 hours of heavy flow, then back to spotting.  I was a little worried and also wanted the IUD removed, so I made an appt with a GYN (a new dr as we just moved).  He did a sonogram which showed my uterus lining was thickened.  He took out the IUD (per my wishes) and did an endometrial biopsy.  I was a little taken aback with the biopsy....so, I flat out asked if he was looking for cancer....his response, no....not at all - just looking to see if there was a missed ovulation which caused xtra buildup or if it is the IUD - he suggested that if it were the first case, a round of progestin may be in order to help shes the lining.....regardless, I will be waiting for the results on the edge of my seat b/c I am also worried that cancer is an option (maybe it is the word biopsy that is scary) - anyway, I would be happy to share any info I receive with you unless you have already seen your specialist....i am hoping it is just related to the IUD.  If you have anymore info, I would love to hear what you have found? Thanks!