Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Can't conceive?

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Can't conceive?

Me and my fiancé have been try to get pregnant for a year and a half now. We have sex regularly and I use pillows under the back and wait 20 minutes to a full eight hours while I sleep. I know that couples should seek medical help after one year if they are unsuccessful in conception but neither of us have insurance that cover that. What more can be done?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would do three tests which would most likely tell me what the problem is.  The first would be to confirm ovulation with a progesterone level.  I would then do a semen analysis.  Finally I would do a semen analysis. I would probably be able to tell you what the problem is and what can be done about it at that point.
You can confirm ovulation with a ovulation predictor which can be found near the pregnancy tests in most drug stores.  A semen analysis isn't terribly expensive, and can be ordered by your general practitioner or ob/gyn.  You will need a doctor if you conceive, so maybe it is a good idea to access the health care system even though. Often you can qualify for charity care.
Hope this helps!
Dr B