Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Contraceptive implant and side effects?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Contraceptive implant and side effects?

I had the contraceptove implant put in 2 weeks ago today, 3 days before my expected period. I had it inserted because I wasn't getting along with the contraceptive pill as I fell pregnant and miscarried and it made me extremely ill. However, I'm finding that the contraceptive implant is near enough having the same effects on me that the contraceptive pill had done.

I was pre-warned that I had to wait at least 7 days for it to be effective. I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on the 6th/7th day, and several times after that. I'm not questioning pregnancy, but the side effects are atrocious.
My periods have stopped, but the nausea, lower abdominal cramping and headaches have all returned just like I experienced with the contraceptive pill.

Are the side effects supposed to be this bad? The cramping is absolute agony, even brought me to tears a few times.

Should I just stick with it, or have it removed?

Any advice helps!

Thank you!
Everyones body reacts differently to different forms of birth control. Maybe your body just keeps rejecting the forms of birth control you are taking in. Have you maybe thought of trying the nuva ring? It is honestly one of the best forms of birth control I have ever used and it gave me absolutely NO side effects.
I guess so. Today has been even worse. I've little energy to do anything, can't do anythign but sleep, and it's been nearly a week since I've barely eaten a thing. I've discussed things with my boyfriend and he too understands that maybe my body can't handle such forms of birth control.

I'm going to take a trip to the doctors tomorrow and discuss it further. Perhaps even have it removed.

Thank you!