Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Copper IUD side effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Viewing 201-251 comments:
I would say its a decrease I would say having the iucd is an advantage and an increase in sex! I have had the iucd and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want any hormone messing up! And for the pains wen ure on ure period hot water bottle and some feminax ultra will do the job trust me and to have an increase in ure sex life try going sum new positions download sum apps or get a book or something and suprise him by wearing someit sexy n have a romatic night together with no disturbance
yes. absolutely. Since having mine out, I have felt consistently better.
I am just wonder if the IUD can cause the thickening of the uterus lining. I started to have an abnormal discharge one week after the end of my period. The discharge is clear, odorless mucus with traces of blood. No other symptoms, but I decided to see my family doc. and he suggested an ultrasound where the the thickening of the lining of the uterus was found. I am scared to death since I have no idea of what it can be... it can be cancer or just "nothing". I requested to see a specialist, but it may take a while to get an appointment. Please share if anyone had or has similar symptoms.
I will try to take mine out ASAP, but just curious...how do you know that an IUD can cause the thickening of the lining of the uterus????
I think some of it is mental because we are female I think and of course this is just a thought on my part. I had my Copper IUD placed September 2, 2011 and at first it was HORRIBLE and I had BV twice from it and the doc said it was from the strings they hold bacteria on them and since my partner and I were having unprotected sex obviously the sperm and other fliuds stuck to the strings and my vagina had to get accustomed to it he said it took two months for me to finally be ok. After taking antibiotics each time for the BV I got yeast infections talk about a pain in the A## but of course thats not the mental part that is just my body adjusting. Ok onto the mental part after having sex the first time with just the IUD I immediately didnt trust it and kept thinking I was pregnant because after two weeks I was also feeling sick to my stomach and sore breasts and sort of like if I was pregnant. So since they took a test everytime I went back to the doc I knew I wasnt pregnant. But wow I was feeling pregnant I thought maybe I am and the test didnt work So I did a test at home and negative so I told myself you know self your not pregnant. And the nausea started going away, and sore breasts also went away. But I am SO motherly really I love babies as all of us women with our own children do. But I actually think since there really is something in our body where a baby is supposed to be mentally it tricks us but we can control it by telling ourself that we are not pregnant its just a foreign object and really get that in your mind. It really worked for me and it sounds weird and I still have days where I am nausea's but I think cus I honestly sometimes think I would love to have a baby but really know I cant so when I tell myself it goes away. Maybe thats just me but maybe not and just thought I'd add that in case someone else would like to try it out. I really love the fact that it is NON Hormonal and that is why I chose it and with other BC I had tons of issues and my biggest one was I DIDNT want to have sex and with this I feel so FREE.
I'm sitting on my bathroom floor crying my eyes out... Every comment I read is what I've experienced as far as negative effects go. I could tolerate the 7-8 days of bleeding. Followed by several more days of a dark discharge. But I've struggled with the 10 pounds of excess body fat I've had.
I'm 32 yrs old now. 4'10” and 117 lbs. A lot for a woman the size of an 11 yr old. I got the copper iud in November 2004, about 4 months after my last baby. I have NEVER been successful at regulating my cycle in the 7 YEARS SINCE IT'S BEEN INSIDE ME! I've tried so many healthy ways to get my periods and my HORRIBLE PMS under control. In the beginning, there was antidepressants, stimulants like caffeine to get thru the sluggish feelings 2-3 weeks out of the month, and NO sex drive most of the time. Pretty much no motivation to even get dressed when I'm pms-img.
Now it wasn't always this bad every month, but about half the months, it is. I've always been active and I eat very healthy over 80% of the time. I take medical-grade multivitamins, fish oil, I'm naturally a really happy, positive person. I am very spiritual and have an awesome husband, kids, and extended family. A small, but beautiful home... Basically, nothing I should feel depressed over. But I could pms for 2-3 weeks if my period wants to come late. It's never bc I'm pregnant. Just have crazy irregular periods that comes with crazy irregular pms. I look fwd to bleeding bc my pms is alleviated...
I've gone thru this for 7 yrs and never once thought it was my iud. My medical exams say I'm super healthy, but I feel so unpredictable and disabled sometimes... I made an appt for this tuesday. I wanna take it out to see if I can get my life back after all these wasted yrs. But I'm also not ready for anymore kids and will not take birth control pills.
Hi ya, I agree with every thing you said, I just wanted to know what you felt like after, because I have taken mine out a couple of weeks ago and I feel like I am going to collapse, my whole body is weak, everyday a new part of me aches and i'm getting worried now.
I have the Copper Iud and I had it for about a year and a half now. I am experiencing abdominal pain before during and after intercourse. Also Im experiencing dark brownish pinkish spotting if anyone else is experiencing this please tell me if this is normal.
hi, i've had the copper iud for two months and have had non stop periods since. i also have gained over a half a stone in weight and have started suffering with acne again after just getting rid of the problem. i am so glad that i checked out this forum because know i have goten some answers. i have been back and forth to my gp and they say that its not the iud. i believe that that the iud is causing my severe hair loss aswell. i am at my wits end because i have only slept with my husband twice in 5 months, first because i was pregnant and had no sex drive and because of this heavy bleeding. i hope to get it out as soon as possible.
Yes, that brown spotting was a constant for the entire two years I had the Copper IUD. It went away immediately when I had the device removed just over two months ago. My other symptoms are lessening, but some are gradual...my hair is still falling out (although less), my skin is still itchy and acne prone, and I am still fatigued and depressed (also less than before). I think it must take some time to recover, especially if you are prone to copper toxicity. I found a specialist that has emailed me a few times, and he advises a chelating of heavy metals to see improvement.

I am using condoms and spermicide, which is annoying, but far better than the side effects of the IUD. Not worth it.
PCOS is generaly not an aquired condition... and PCOS itself stops periods and causes weight gain.... if you dont have a period ever 3 months to reduce risks of cancer.. they can do this by giving you a couple high dose progestoron pills..... i do not think the iud has anything to do with the pcos.. i have had it my whole life... bc pills can regulate your periods but i find that they make me moody and depressed
Since having copper coil I have really heavy periods for a week like someones turned the tap on and also am always moist down below with a strong sex like odour which gets worse when and after intercourse or exercise.I bath twice a day and use a vaginal wash.it is making me very paranoid as my last boyfriend has noticed it.I have been  tested negative for STD and all other vaginal cervix infections.any feedback greatly appreciated.copper iud in for 3 years and about the same time as the symptoms plus belly ache and bloat after intercourse
I have had the copper iud for nearly two months. Love having not to worry about taking a pill or anything like that and if anything my sex drive now exists where I have never felt like sex before. Im 23 and I have a two year old. I just get spot bleeding which is a bit if a hassel will this go away? I have also put on weight could this have to do with the iud?
I had the mirena in for a few months, i gained a stone, lost my sex drive completly, felt depressed and so they replaced it with the copper coil which i didn't feel depressed with but after having it for a couple of weeks my body pushed it out and i got pregnant with my 3rd child within 1 week of it coming out. At this point i think all contraceptives are evil, the implant being the most evil of them all because its turning me into a monster.
I have had my Paragard IUD in for about 10 months. Right when i got it inserted i knew I was in HELL. The insertion hurt as if having a child. And this is coming from a mother of 2. After, insertion i had my period for a str8 two months. And have only had two other periods which where a nightmare to say the least. Bled through a pad every 1hr. My attitude has changed ive noticed sad more often and get into crying spells for no reason at all. My DB has had to put up with the B in me. No weight gain just overall. Horrible cramping Horrific bleeding and overall mood change. My insurance just ran out need to reapply because i cant do this damn THING ANYMORE. getting it removed immediatly. Should have listened to my mother who had a horrible experience with the Paragard also.
I have had the copper IUD for ten years now. The first 5 I had no problems. Then the hair started falling out but I blamed it on age and stress. But the last six months have been pure HELL! Anxiety and panic attacks, dizziness, pressure in my head and ears, congestion (no cold), allergic to many things which I didn't have allergies to before, just plain AWFUL! I know it's the IUD! I thought it was the thyroid and maybe a vitamin B12 deficiency, but copper toxicity causes a depressed thyroid and all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Yes, it was practical, but it wasn't worth it! I wonder how long it will take for me to feel normal again. I'm having it removed in 4 days.
I have gained 20 pounds--and cant get it off--I skip periods and feel more irritable and depressed. Hard to say what it's from...it's just s feeling but I think it's time just to get tubes tied I guess. I also have a lot more muscle pain and fatigue....
I have had my cooper iud for 6 weeks.  I am having major changes.  I am extremely dizzy all of the time and eating more.   I just feel bad.  I feel as if I am starting my period twice a week. I am having mine removed.   I also notice that i smell down there. I also feel like my mouth smells like copper.  I wish i would have researched this before I had it put in.  
Wow that is me to the T(but for me I went female,But through a lot of prayer I have worked that out,but still don't want hubby )!!!Everything you said!I'm so going to get this thing out!!!I went on today because I'm not due for my so called period but I was having really bad cramps in my stomach and butt.Kinda like labor.I just don't know what to do because I'm allergic to condoms and don't want number four baby!!My other children are all a year apart.
Iv had the copper coil for about six months and i have very heavy discharge the same time every month when i'm due to ovulate. Its clear with no smell at all . The cramp is unbearable from two weeks before i'm due to when my period is finished. My periods are so heavy and last ages. I love the idea of not having to take pills and I like the fact that my periods are regular and i'm in tune with my body even  knowing when i'm ovulating. However the side effects are getting too much for me to cope with. I also have had advice from people who have became pregnant with the copper coil to have it taken out as it doesn't work for everybody.
OMG!!! After reading these posts, I didn't pay too much attention to the IUD side effects.  Since the copper IUD doesn't have harmones, I thought my weight gain was from me eating out too much, but now i realize that I didn't eat any more than I used to after I got the IUD.  So I shrugged it off and decided to exercise.  I lost weight, but after reading post about weight gain, I began to realize that I've gained weight right after the IUD insertion. Another side effect was the lingering periods.  I had tender breasts, but didn't notice any acne or severe mood swings.  Pre-IUD, I used to bleed light for three days.  With the IUD, I spotted for a few hours when I thought I was starting my mensus. So I prepared myself by wearing pads. The next day it stopped. The day after that, I'm on full blast for two days, but it was a sticky/thick flow. Then I'll spot for about 3 days until I went off.  Two weeks later, it happened again. I'm not supposed to randomly have two periods per months. This drove me crazy.  I got it removed last month and noticed that I lost about 4 pounds.  I thought it was because zumba was finally working after 5 months. LOL!!! It never dawned on me that I lost weight after I got the IUD removed.  It's true.  Evern though there're no harmones in the paragard, our bodies react to foreign objects in our reproductive system and may stimulate harmones to counteract it.  I feel so much better after i got the IUD removed. I just had my first post-IUD period and it seems to be back to normal. I'm on my third day and lookes like I'll be off by tomorrow.  Plus, I don't have tender breast.  Thanks for the posts, i learned a lot and i hope someone else will learn from my post.
HI!
I HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS. I HAVE HAD TUBES BUT IM MY EARS AND MY VISON CHANGED SO I NOW WEAR GLASSES. I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING DAY IN AND DAY OUT AND WAS BLOWN AWAY BY OUR SIMULARITIES. I FEEL LIKE IM BUZZED ALL THE TIME, THAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DESCRIBE IT.  I HAVE BEEN SO FRUSTRATED BECAUSE NO ONE SEEMS TO HAVE AN ANSWER... MRI'S, CT'S, SURGERY AND GLASSES AND NOTHING IS CLEARING MY HAZE! I WENT TO MY OB AND VENTED TO HER AND TOLD HER I WANTED MY IUD OUT...IM HOPING THAT THIS IS THE ANSWER...PLUS MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!! ALL I WANT TO DO IS BE HEALTHY AND BE MOMMY AGAIN! KEEP ME POSTED
CHRYSTIE
***@****
I have had my IUD (copper) in for 2 years now and I have an appointment next week Wed to get it taken out. Since I have had the IUD in, I have gained at least 20lbs, I have horrible periods, I have major mood swings, and I have no sex drive whatsoever. I am sick and tired of this this being inside me, my boyfriend can feel it while we have sex and so he's also tired of it. Anyone else experience weight gain with theirs?
hi
am 29yrs old mum of two girls 31month old and 16month old. i want to get iud incerted but am a bit worried coz i first used depovera injection and it made me bleed too much, now after reading this comment i dont know what to do .pliz help should i go aheard and get it done or what?
Hello Ladies,

I selected the copper iud because of my family's history with cancer and the link between cancer and hormones.

I am grateful that this product exists because it has given me an opportunity to feel safe and certain that I will not be pregnant.

As for the heavier periods, I'm not a fan but really who is? I accept that this is the trade off for creating an artificial infertility and the reality is that we as women have accepted that we will alter our bodies for the purpose of maintaining our relationships. This alteration is a sacrifice that men really don't deserve but is necessary since the advent of sexual freedom has allowed men the right to shirk responsibility and leave us with whatever outcome without recourse.

I really hate men for that. I don't have anything more to say about it other than I will continue to be stand up and say that I'm willing to accept this so that I don't have to be stuck with a screwed up life because of the selfish other half.

What's odd is that after having this IUD placed in me, I haven't wanted sex but I don't miss it. I have toys, fantasies, and other things to do and now more patience to pick a better life partner-and when I meet that lucky *******, I'll get this thing out and never look back.

Be strong ladies.We will outlive them and we make the world worth living.
xo
your friend...
-L
I just got my copper IUD inserted yesterday. Contrary to almost everything I read in my research prior to the procedure, I have experienced almost no side effects. I was fortunate enough to have some Tylenol 3 on hand, took them about an hour before the insertion, and as a result I barely had any pain during the insertion. I felt crampy for about all of 10 minutes after the procedure, and really not much since. I've barely even had any spotting either (not even wearing a pad, that's how light it is). The only thing is some slight bloating, but I'm almost on my period anyway, so I assume that's why. Because of all the things I've read about people having cramping and bleeding post-insertion, I'm actually starting to worry and wonder why I'm not feeling anything, and if that could indicate any kind of problem.

Anyone else out there have a similar experience? Am I just being unnecessarily anxious?
Having an odor like that is an indicator of infection, specially Bacterial Vaginosis. I really hope you've been seen by a doctor for this!
there is not any evidence, i could post an article saying I was a dr talking about killing people. There is no evidence on this article some dr just wrote it if he even is a dr, there is no link or anything except he said he is. and to me it doesnt seem like something a dr would make his page look like. anyway there is not enough copper in the iud to cause these effect your iud is mostly plastic  with minimum amount of copper on the ends
far past, good on the ladies that please there man, decent of you, but the man should be happy with just being with/having the girl he does so sexual relation shouldn't make a difference... I learned that the hard way
I'm a 27 year-old mom with  one 3-year old daughter,happily married for 5 years..i had my copper T (paragard) inserted last july 2011, friday afternoon and got no bad effects after insertion.unfortunately, as the weekend came,i started to experience severe lower abdominal pain and fever. i called my Ob-gyn and told her i want to be admitted because of the severity of the pain. their admitting diagnosis for me was Pelvic Inflammatory Disorder but was not ruled out until i was discharged.i had on and off fever during my 2-days stay in the hospital.i asked my ob-gyne about the pain and said it was expected for a few months.then, i went abroad to work and be with my husband.having this constant pain and worsens for a time, still we enjoyed having sex.unfortunately, for the past few months my husband has lacerations or redness on his penis immediately after our intercourse which made us decide to rest for 3-5 days to heal his wound before we could have sex again. the satisfaction of this supposedly "happy love-making" leads us to disappointment. now, i'm having thoughts of removing this iud and try other options for contraceptives like having injectables.
So I have been researching on-line lately about my copper IUD. I had mine inserted in July of 2009, 2 months after my second child was born. I went with the copper one because my other one (Mirena I think) fell out a few days after insertion and I wanted to avoid hormones. Not long after I started experiencing what I had always believed to be postpartum depression, it had come on later than it usually does for most but I was told that it is possible for it to come up tho the first year after a baby. I had severe cramps for the first month or so and my periods were like I was bleeding to death. Then about a year and a half after insertion I started feeling a constant dull ache with occasional stabbing pain on my right lower abdominal. I had it checked out and my IUD was in the right spot and all looked normal. During all of this my energy has been next to nothing and my sex drive has diminished, it was even hard to orgasm which was never a problem in the past. I started getting headaches, some bad and some not so bad but often. I got an unexplained rash on my ankles and I am severely vitamin D deficient along with a few other things I'm sure. A few weeks ago everything sorta hit me, all of my signs started right after I had my daughter, when my IUD was inserted. My depression, forgetfulness and fogginess, my headaches, my rash, my severe exhaustion, my constant pain, body/joint aches, weird discharge that sometimes smells, and me changing (a total 180) from who I was before. I finally researched and found that I am not the only one going through this and I have made the decision to have it removed, I can't wait to see the improvement that I know will follow! Thank you to all who wrote and helped me realize what I was causing my 3 year long problems....
Yes, but I also have no energy to exercise anymore and I even lost my job because of all my issues. I gained around 40 lbs since I had mine put in and I finally made the decision to have it removed.
My husband is asking me the same thing. For a year and a half (have the IUD inserted 2 years ago), I've been dealing with mood swings, anger, depression, crying from nothing, meanness, ZERO sex drive. I am in my late '30s, I always liked intimacy, it's SOOO strange....  I am a different person, even my kids are wondering what's going on with mom, if she got crazy. It's terrible. Terible.

I will make an appointment to have the IUD removed. Interestingly, NONE of this symptoms are on the "official" side effects. The pharmaceutical companies are screwing our health. I would like to sue them. Maybe we can get into a class action suit.
you sure you are not part man...the things the these ladies are saying are real...i have had my copper iud for 5yrs(2007-2012)...got it in on my 6wk checkup...so didn't notice any side effects...but did a 10wk check up...complained to my OBGYN...she said i would have to work a little harder on my sex drive...which came so easy to me at 30yrs old...but i was happy to not be having a 5th child...so i have this thing that causes me to lose my religion on a daily basis...especially around 1wk before my cycle...i try hard with my sex drive...2-3 times a week...but anything more than that...i need some serious mood enhancements or gifts..or something...my husband  and i complains cycle lasts to long (7 days)..dread seeing it come...but the depression and angriness is so not me and tricky...i'm gonna watch for this...i knew something was wrong but didn't know what or how to stop it until after the fact...thought it was age...i have parted ways with a number of friends in the last 5yrs...got some apologies to make and remove this thing
I have had my IUD in for abt 4 1/2 years.... I decided to do it bc at the age of 20 I delivered my son still born  and was in a state of depression til nearly 25..... i then decided to get the IUD bc I wasn't sure about having any more children. Im now 29 now and from day one the IUD has done nothing but giving me worse periods and last sometimes 6 days or nearly all month, aches and pains, severe acne, bloating, mega weight gain (started out at 175 now 319!!!! OMG I know!! and I work out!!) , mood swings are an everyday thing, spotting between periods, or my fav is missed periods w bloating and sickness like pregnancy symptoms. I finally was able to talk to my doctor who is new at my doc office and she made an appointment for me immediately to have it removed! I asked her if this was normal to go thru pads every 20 to 30 mins and cough and have to change my pants and all the others symptoms, guess what she said NO!!! so after years of people telling me different and having a back and forth with my old doc I will be free of this horrid IUD!! my Fiancée and I have discussed the possibility of having a child , hes 33 no children and im 29 "no children" , and maybe its time... never hurts to try! Also did I mention that when I got this I was giving the whole "story" on it nor did I get a warning , so in conclusion , on Tuesday im free and if everything goes well im hoping for a chance to be a mommy again!!
oops I meant wasn't given the whole story***
I had a copper IUD put in late last year, and I had it in for about 5 months before I had it taken out again. I'm 22 and in a monogamous, long-term relationship. I'd taken birth control pills in the past, but they caused severe pms symptoms (which I had never had before), so I wanted to try something non-hormonal.

I was under a lot of stress during the time that I had the IUD in, so for awhile I was just blaming my emotional difficulties on my life circumstances. However, eventually I came to realize that my emotional reactions were becoming less and less normal and more and more intense. I was actually pretty crazy. Super depressed, crying a lot (not normal for me!), and just so off-kilter. Small things would upset me tremendously, and I cannot help but believe that the IUD was a good part of the cause. The pain and heavier periods were absolutely no fun, but I could have handled them if the IUD didn't have the added consequence of making me PSYCHO.

Additionally, I got my first ever yeast infection shortly after getting the IUD in, and each of the last three months I had it in, I got sick with colds, which also was not normal for me. Now I believe that was because I was not getting enough zinc due to the copper imbalance. Since I started taking zinc supplements (it's been almost a year) I have only been sick a normal amount (2-3 times). And guess what! I'm not nuts anymore!

I received no support for this hypothesis from doctors or my therapist. They say that because it has no hormones, it can't possibly influence negative change in your body. And it's a load of crap. It's influencing my menstruation (making my periods longer and more painful), so obviously it's doing something in there! People have an amazing lack of ability to think critically.

In case anyone's interested, I've found a good way to combat the residual pms that I've had on and off since trying the pill 4 years ago: vit B-12. It virtually destroys my pms symptoms. Nothing else has worked for me. *I'm also a vegetarian, so maybe it is only relevant to vegetarians? Veg's diets are supposed to be especially low in B-12.

I have the copper iud now and have been bleeding for months and haven't been able to have sex because of it I'm going to the doctor to have it taken out because its no fun bleeding all the damn time my man think something is wrong because I'm bleeding so much I have had this thing for three years now but it just started acting  up can't do this anymore pill here I come
I have the Mirena I have had it since I had my twins at my 6week pp I had the twins may 12 12. The first maybe 4 mths was good I loved it. This was also my first birth control other than condom I also have a 2 1/2 year old who keep me and my husband busy but I had started having sharp chest pain and cramping at first then maybe the 5th month I started feeling preg. I don't want more kids now so got check it was neg. not to mention I got my first UTI   But over time I stilled felt preg. And tired but I never thought it could be my Mirena until I noticed my stomach kept getting bigger and bigger even tho. Me and my husband was working out together he lost 25 pounds and I lost only bout 2 in 3 mths my hair had started coming out 3 mths after having it inserted but not until last month I started to put 2 and 2 together u also was having bad migraine headache every other day it get so bad my eye sight get very blurry back pain and gained 20 pounds when I had my twins which was 6lbs 3oz and girl 6lbs1oz I got up to 197 with them and after having them I went back to my weight I was before which was 175 and bout 3 weeks after having them I was 169 after 6mths on Mirena I gained 20 pounds now it been bout 10 mths and I'm 200 pounds and my first child was born 9lbs 5oz I had c-section with both preg. I'm 25  I hate Mirena not to mention the DEPRESSION and mood swings and crying for no reason I have help for my husband and I have good kids that I have on a good schedule  I'm getting it removed tue 4 23 13 but every body is different because my Lil sis have it bout 4 year she said at first her cycle stayed on 4 mths straight she wanted it out dr said waited and she did and now she like it not love it she said the only thing is she gained bout 10-15 lbs nothing else but I hate it lol so u will have to try it yourself but I wouldn't recommend it  my dr say even after taking it out you will still have the side effect up until 6-12 mths until the hormones it out of your system that ***** I look 5mths preg because I still have a medium frame because I'm 5'6 thx all of y'all and just pray psalm 83:18  psalm 145:18 and don't listen when people may tell u that the IUD DON'T cause those problems you know your body and you are not crazy you would be if you notice these problem and still let this thing stay in you and know you are not alone it took me awhile to connect the dots but thank for my I phone the Internet  Get this thing out and let the dr. Know what harm it has called so they will know every one is not stupid we all can't have the same problem. Hope y'all well I hate so many have to go thru this just to get BC
Hi everyone, im hoping my experience will help those who come across this message board looking for some potential solutions.

Ive had my copper iud for a little over a year and had it inserted immediately after my surgical abortion (genius right? Lets just say my first period after was 12 days of hell)

Unfortunately, we still havent come across the perfect birth control with zero inconvenience and no side effects, but the non hormonal copper iud is the closest thing to perfection for me at least.  So before quitting on it, try these things first.  These things worked for me after A LOT of trial and error, but everyones different.  It requires paying attention to our bodies' responses and patience.  

Zinc: why? Its a copper antagonist to counteract the potential side effects of copper toxicity.  If you're experiencing, hairloss, mood swings, depression, anxiety, irritability, joint and body ache you may have it.  I take it once a day (50 mg) and bought a 100 capsules for $5 (vitamin shoppe brand for those wondering).  If you have one with selenium, even better.  B complex vitamins help as well, plus it balances the mood.
Menstrual cycle regularity
Vitex: (herbal supplement) why? To help balance my menstrual cycles, relieve cramps and decrease flooding and shortens the length of period.  After taking it in the morning, I expedon't experiencemping throughout the day.  The length of my menstrual bleeding kept decreasing over time and I became more regular.  Not sure if its due to this or my body adapted to the iud overtime.  You can get it at a natural health food store.  I bought mine for $13 for 60 capsules.
Amenia
Iron supplements AND B12 AND vitamin C
This is extremely important if you're anemic like me (and vegetarian to add) or experience "Horror Movie" like blood loss, or just heavier periods than normal.  If you're extremely fatigued, cant concentrate your iron level is probably on the lower end even if you havent been diagnosed with anemia.  Both B12 and vitamin C are important because iron cannot get properly absorbed otherwise and wont have any effect.  I take these (mostly In a multivitamin) everyday, but without fail during my period.
advil liquid gel (ibuprofen): why? it works the quickest and actually slows down the flow, better than tylenol (acetaminophen). Do not take aspirin since it makes your blood even thinner, need I say more?

I know this means you'd have to take supplements, contradicting the main reason why we got off oral contraceptives and opted for an iud.  But in this case, even if you do miss a supplement you're not increasing your risk of pregnancy.  Also, it doesn't hurt to supply your body with vitamins and minerals which gives you overall benefits.
Goodluck Everyone!
Anyone has abnormal cells during Pap smear with copper iud?
I had my copper iud for coming to 3 years after my 3rd child, recently I went for medical screening and found I was anemic and Pap smear result showed abnormal cells, dr said It could be the cause of iud, anyone can share?
I've been experiencing fatigue, weight gain and I didn't think it was the side effects of iud until I read this. The weight just can't be shed off and hubby has been complaining the thing poking him during sex, I also get bleeding and spotting.
WOW!! - I didn't know about any of these side effects when I received my copper IUD 13 yrs ago. It seemed a perfect fit for me even though my mother said I would never be able to keep it because she had issues and assumed I would too. I am currently 44 years old. I was 31 when I received my Copper T IUD 2 mos after my 3rd child was born November 1999. It was supposed to be removed after 10 yrs., but I went against my husband’s wishes and have continued to leave it in place for 3 more years. Due to his constant worry over the copper growing into my organs I ended up here. It appears that I want be proving him wrong by saying I told you so, instead I am questioning all my actions and disorders I suffered through over the past 13 years. I am currently wondering if my mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks, high blood pressure, heavy periods, depression, fatigue, etc.. Could all be related to this Copper IUD thing inside of me, rather than the fact that I am 44 and those things come with age. As terrified as I am about getting pregnant, I am more curious as to what changes I may experience when I do get this thing out of me. I want it removed asap and I'll come back to give you an update on how I feel after it’s been removed and had time to heal completely. Then I will be able to tell you if some of these issues were related to the IUD.I should know these answers around August 2013. Till then- I want know, but I will say that over these past 13 yrs. I have experienced extreme mood swings, anxiety, irritability, panic attacks, and the obvious heavy periods that last for weeks. I never had a decrease in sex drive or an issue with weight gain/loss. I weigh the same as I did then. hum.....I'll be back!!
Thank you SO much for this suggestion. I've been having such serious PMS and depressive symptoms which are SO unlike me. I've had my copper IUD for a little over one year.

I'm struggling because I just cannot think of another birth control option that doesn't come with it's own set of issues, and condoms alone just doesn't seem smart or practical. I don't want to continue feeling this way, as I think it's starting to cause issues for me emotionally that will eventually effect my relationships, and I have such amazing people in my life - that's just not fair.

I'm going to give the B-12 a shot and cross my fingers!

Thank you!
K
Irritability, Anger, acne, severe mood swings despite the antidepressant I am taking on a regular basis, higher blood pressure, weight gain and hair loss..I would never have thought this may be resulting my IUD I had inserted about 2 months ago!!! And I was sick and tired having my boyfriend not come into me, and now that he is I don't even feel any sex drive !!! This is insane!!
I got the Paraguard inserted in June 2012 and have had weird issues ever since.  I started having gastro/entestinal problems a few months after insertion.  I feel like I'm having period cramps all the time... not just when ovulating or on my period.  My periods and discharge during ovulation are extremely heavy.  I also have discharge at random times of the month, a lot of times tinged with streaks of blood.  The bloody streaks just began a few months ago.  My question is, is this related to the IUD or could I have cancer?  I am beginning to worry now.
I had Copper IUD for about 3 years. Not a good experience. I so identify with a lot of the ladies that posted depression, horrible PMS forgetfulness. It really was not me at all. I also had extreme emotional ups and downs crying ect.. I had a hard time concentrating.. I have been without IUD for almost 2 weeks and feel so much better. I really hope I help someone going through symptoms.. I am so grateful to feel like myself again,,,,,,
I had the copper IUD inserted on July 4th 2013. I have experienced cramps (never used to get them) and excessive heavy bleeding for a few added days. My hormone levels haven't been any different from before the IUD. The discoloured discharge and yeast infections can bugger off..the joys of being a woman..we get the ****** end of the stick. The only good thing about this means of birth control is, I haven't gained any weight..I've lost it (and there isn't alot on me to lose as it is) and my sex drive has increased, I feel like a rabbit sometimes..

What are the symptoms of BV?
symptoms of BV : thin, grayish, foul smelling vaginal discharge(fishy smell). typically caused by imbalance in vaginal PH. Can be treated with antibiotics. Prevented by using condoms, avoiding harsh scented soap to cleanse vagina and eating yogurt with live active cultures(if your not lactose intolerant)  not an STD. Hope this helps
I wonder if anyone can shed any light.... I had  copper iud fitted 8 yrs ago. I was told any side effects would soon disappear.  Now looking back Ive struggled with fatigue. Some days I cant function... brain fog. Anxiety. Panic attacks these past 2 years unbearable.  For the last yr I notice  scary palpitations around the time of my period. Hair loss and dizziness are my latest symptoms. My gp keeps saying its stress. Which I totally did not accept as am extremely happy. Gp ran tests came back neg for bloods. So gp said maybe I should go see a hypnotherapist!  Maybe I hiding bad deep feelings?? Laughable and totally dismayed and angry gp wont listen. I found online several symptoms caused by the copper iud.  I had it removed today. Am I going mad? Is my gp right? Or can it poss be the copper iud. i want to feel normal again.
Hi I was exactly the same :) no pain on insertion and couldn't feel it (nor could my partner) this had me worried that maybe it wasn't in place, had my 6 week check and the nurse said everything is fine, she could see the strings. maybe some of us are just lucky :)
Viewing 201-251 comments: