Copper IUD side effects
I had a copper iud put in a little over a year ago after my second child.  I experienced the side effects I was told could happen, worse cramps and heavier bleeding.  I am fine with these because my choice for birth control is very limited because I get blood clots and cannot take the pill.  

However, I am wondering if anyone has experienced a decrease in thier sex drive becasue of it.  I am only 29 years old, married to a very wonderful and attractive man, but honestly I could care less about sex.  I have been this way ever since I had my last child, which is also when i got the iud.  I just assumed it was because I had children and was so busy with them (I have a 2 1/2 year old and one that is almost 1 1/2).  I am starting to think it could also have something to do with the iud.  

I am considering getting it removed to see if this changes anything.  If anyone has experienced anything similiar to this I would appreciate any feedback.

i would say your right, I would say its from the kids!!
Your busy busy busy  and the bedroom means sleeping
They also say though women's sex drive usually doesnt peak until 30-40
Ditto to Cinnamonheart!  Kids do make sex seem more like a chore.  I found that even more when I was working outside the home and trying to keep the house up, take care of kids etc.  it was chaotic and sex was the last thing on my mind.  However since staying home and having my kids (3-7,4,14 months) on a schedule, I have seen a definate increase in my libido.  My kids all go to bed no later than 8:30 pm (7:30 pm in the Winter) and they sleep until about 6:00 am or 6:30 am.  I found that in that two hours or so I have before I go to bed, I really enjoy spending time with my hubby and if he is not home (works 24 hr shifts), then I enjoy the time alone.  I paint my toe nails, eat ice cream, watch T.V., read, and just gather myself. Hopefully this will help you.  My friend told me when I had my first child "The best thing you can do for your kids is to nurture your relationship with your husband."  I believe her.  Good Luck.
I have Mirena, the plastic one and other than the above mentioned stuff (KIDS) I have had no side effects. The copper one contains no medication at all. The plastic one, Mirena, contains small amounts of hormones, but not enough to cause any changes.

It is most likely due to kids. Especially if you feel hubby isn't helping with the kids, sometimes that turns into hidden resentment and lack of interest or attraction.

Sometimes kids just seems to make alone time impossible. If you haven't already, get them on a schedule and get them to bed around the same time. See if someone can watch them while you and dh go on a date, just the two of you.

Good luck!
Andrea
Thanks for all your feedback, I do appreciate it.  You are probalby right, it is the kids.  Especially since my oldest one has the energy level of 10 of me and runs me ragged everyday.  
Dh and me are actually getting away together this weekend for our anniversary, maybe this will bring a little spark back in me.  Thanks again.
My IUD is gone! Does enyone know if it could have gone upward insread of out? My period has been like clock work before and since I got my IUD and now I have missed one. I was very ill for a week, I could not eat or even function for that matter. I feel better now, but I am very stressed about where this thing is. I cannot be pregnant because my husband has had a vasectomy.

Thanks, Trish
It may not be the IUD. When it comes to losing ur sex drive,i had lost mine after my first child.Just so that i could keep our relationship together,I would give him that kind of attention just to make him happy.Even though i just had my third child 7 wks ago,i still havent regained my sex drive. If i didnt care,we would probably only be intimate maybe four to five times a yr  lol

Kat
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I have the same problem with mine. Since I have it inserted, my sexdrive has decreased, and I have yeast infection all the time.

I'm planning to talk to my doctor, and have it removed as soon as possible.

sit
This year, I am having depression issues...real ones. Now I just had my Copper IUD inserted in august and these symptoms are increasing. I am journaling the week before my menstrual period I get really anxious and depressed. I am seeing a psych, but now I am wondering if it the IUD??? hmm - This was my last call, becasue everything else I have had a terrible response to. Thanks..please let meknow
I am sure deppression and IUD are linked.In fact, look at all of the depressed women in tour 'developed'world today. I do not know about you, but I definitely believe that IUD's not only cause depresion, but since I have put mine in ?mona lisa' my orgasms are not at all what they used to be. Its like i get to a certain level, than I canot go  further. As time passes by I became more and frustated. No wonder I get so depressed. Its not normal. Not to mention that one of my breasts is always aching. I will take mine out this week. There is something truely fishy about all of this.
I had a copper IUD, I definitely experienced cramps, heavy bleading during my menstrual period, acne problem & i've seen a difference with my attitude too. Im always tired and always moody. Im considering of just taking birth control pills an dget rid of this IUD.
i got a copper one inserted 3 weeks ago, its the first time i have had the coil, my baby is 4 months old. i was due my period 7 days ago and im paranoid im pregnant!! which is my idea of hell at the moment, has this happened to any one or is this normal????  i wasnt told my periods would be irregular.
Finally, somone going through the same thing i am, I am 100% sure that all of this is from the IUD, i got the copper IUD when my son was 3 weeks old.... i am a completely different person, i hate myself most of the time, i cant raise my kids right and i am so not interested in sex anymore.... I used to be so  exited about sex, life, my kids, and now my world has seemed to just STOP... i have been fighting with my husband to remove it and we are going to remove it in a few weeks, i am so exited although i dont know what i will do not to get pregnant.... i will never get ANY IUD again... i have had the worst year of my life i am only 21 and my son is13 months.
thanks for all your comments they have helped so much...
I am 37 yrs. old, have five kids ages 18 yrs.- 18mos., and I am a hard-working professional. I have tried almost every type of birth control method out there. I have had the copper IUD for about a year and have gone through monthly mood swings and put on about 10 extra lbs. BUT, my periods are now lighter and lasts only a few days and although my sex drive did decrease somewhat, the freedom the IUD has given me from unwanted pregnancies makes it worth all the bad side effects!!! Ask yourselves what most important to you...if you'd rather deal with a few side effects or lots more kids to raise for 18-21 yrs of your life.
I have no kids, but I have a copper IUD. My sex drive hasn't changed at all since I've gotten it.  In fact, it may be better because I don't have to worry about having any type of birth control on hand and can be more spontaneous.  

However, there is the possibility that people can have a copper allergy or  Wilson's Disease.  This can cause skin rashes, joint aches, and liver damage.  Just be aware of it.  
I am 35 mother of a 13 and 3 yr old,  I was on the pill for along time and one yearly pap visit they offered me a different method I thought too good to be true and tried it (the patch) and thats how I got pregnant with my 3yr old. Right after I had her, I knew that with a preteen and a baby I would remember to take the pill so I tried the shots 1 every three months, after my second shot I realized I was gaining too much weight 20+ pounds, so I got off and went back to the pill.  Then with age and what nots- my mood swings were turning to rage, I think your body can only tolerate so much hormones. So here I am with the copper IUD insert date 5-5-08 the first couple of weeks I was paranoid having something inside me, every ache I though I was getting and infection of some kind.  Then there was sex, I couldn't be on top or doggy style,  it would hurt, I could feel him hitting the IUD and the IUD hitting me, after a couple of tries I started making excuses to him about not wanting sex.  Then after my first period, which was much heavier and longer than the norm( my periods consists of one semi heavy day & two spotting days= 3 total days).  After that sex was great, hell it was better.  But now I just had my second period with it ,  8 extreemeely heavy days & 2 of those days I had fever, migraine headaches & my lower back has been aching tremendously.   And here I am looking up side effects on the IUD and considering getting it taken out.
I am 38 and a mother of 4 kids. 19yrs to 11yrs. I have had an IUD for the last 5 years and loved it. Initially, I bled a lot but then my homeopath, who is a registered GP treated me to control the bleeding. All in all I have had no side effects until last Friday when I had the first one taken out and replaced with a new one. I have been nauseous, lightheaded and slightly feverish for the last 3 days. My gynae checked it again this morning and it is in place. She is running blood tests to see what is wrong.I need answers and checking out other sites.

I had an IUD put in last December (copper one) and I've not noticed too many side effects. My periods have become extremely heavy, but that's how they were before I took the Pill. My mother had Estrogen Receptor Positive Breast Cancer, so I DO NOT need any extra estrogen in my body. That's why I'm off the Pill.

I worry a lot about it becoming imbedded. I often times wonder if we should avoid certain sexual positions (like me on top) so as not to disturb the placement of the IUD. I've never had children, but plan to start trying next summer. I am so worried I am going to mess it up and become infertile.

Does anyone have any info. on this?
I have a copper IUD but have had children. The chances of it dislodging or coming out are slightly greater for someone who has never had children, but still not all that common. You do not need to worry about certain sexual positions. Always make sure you check for the strings mid cycle each month. This is a great way to know that it is where it should be. Heavier periods are normal with this IUD. Mine are very heavy also. IMO, this is a "side effect" that is very easy to deal with instead of dealing with artificial hormones to control my cycle. I love that I still ovulate and have a regular, normal, hormone free cycle. What other side effects do you have?
Other than the heavier cycles and cramps, I really don't have other side effects. I have had it for about 7 months now and the cycles are becoming gradually lighter. The cramps are sometimes unreal, though! They pass quickly, but goodness, are they rough. I do notice that I spot for a week or so after my cycle. It's all totally worth it to me, though. I would much rather deal with this than have all the hormones in me. I didn't realize how much the Pill was affecting my moods until I got off of them. I was never really moody or suffered from PMS, but I noticed a change when I got off the Pill.
Hi, I am a 29 year old, wife, medical student and a mother of a 1year old, I have had the IUD inserted about 5 months ago, and lately I have been depressed and have arousal problmes, for the first few months sex was great, it was just the heavy bleeding that lasts fuive days. lately I have had some discomfort and I can't seem to be aroused, no matter how much I would want to have sex, is it the IUD or am I just stressed?
my women has had it 4 a year now, and all the things i hearing on here its her crazy moods, attitube, cramp, periods are u kinding none but spots we need more awareness to this depression, this iud is not from god so i guess that sums it up! peace
I'm 19, have 2 kids, the last one is only 2 months old. I got the copper IUD put in at my 6 week postpartum check-up. my sex drive has gone up but at the same time, my ability to achieve orgasms has significantly gone down. maybe that's why my sex drive has increased, because i can never satisfy myself anymore, not having orgasms. My husband and i always had a great sex life, never had problems satisfying eachother. Now i always find myself in the middle of the act and not enjoying it, not feeling anything! this in result has started to depress me. I dont think the lack of sexual sensation is due to my kids. i'm a stay-at-home mom and i dont feel they stress me out enough to affect my sexual drive (at least not yet). help!!
also, id like to hear from anyone who has used the copper IUD and had kids after using it... were there any complications in those pregnancies or birth defects?
Well, honestly, I didn't notice a drop in sex drive after the IUD. Perhaps you can't achieve orgasm for some other reasons? It's a tricky thing and it's easy to stress over. The only thing that affected my sex drive was the worrying of whether or not we were messing it up or if I would embed it during sex. After speaking with my doctor about this, my anxieties are gone. I got mine 9 months ago and I finally feel like I am back to normal. I still have horrendous cramps, though.
To the man that posted about his wife: is she using Paragard or Mirena? The only reason I ask is b/c Mirena uses a small amount of estrogen/progestin to act as a birth control. Some women feel this effect and it may cause mood swings, etc.
And this is going to open a whole  new can of worms, but I recently heard something about IUD and I'm not sure if it's true. I was listening to a radio airing saying that IUDs actually can abort a conceived child. It doesn't prevent (like a Pill or diaphragm, etc.), it actually deals with the pregnancy by basically making the environment uninhabitable for an embryo. Is there any truth to this? It seems right to me, but something makes me very uneasy when I start to think that I could have actually conceived a child, but my IUD terminated it. I had a friend get pregnant twice on the IUD, but she miscarried (obviously). Has anyone ever heard of this?
Has anyone had any change in the smell of your normal discharge. I have never had a problem with this before but since I got the copper IUD my discharge smells a little diffrernt. Should I be concerned? There is no irritation with this smell.
I also have the copper IUD and was looking into side effects to see if it was a result of the implant.  I have been having discharge and odor problems as well and they definitely seem cyclical.  I was wondering if they were caused by the IUD as well.
I have had the copper IUD for about a year now, and i am really lookign into finding otu the side effects of it, there is so much the doctor can tell you compared to what other women  like me have experienced. My periods have being hell! however this is not something that aggrivates me since i preffer that than to be pregnant at this point of my life, however, there is something else, i want to know if the reason for my lack of interest towards sex has decreased or if it is true aboyut hte yeast infections that it can cause. i have notices a substance discharse with a brownish color that hightly bothers me and this is probably why i dotn want to have sex cuz im affraid the fluid will be there!!!! i want advice! i dont know if getting rid of it! i cant do hormones.. i am quite frustrated ! :(
I am 25 years old and have an 18 month old, I'm a stay at home mom and I too have been having many of the same symptoms that a lot of you are having... low sex drive, mood swings, depression, heavy periods, discharge with a different odor. I got my IUD put in about a year ago and wonder if this is the cause of everything or could it be post partum depression? ...then again that wouldn't explain the discharge but it could explain the rest of my symptopms. I'm seeing someone now for the depression, but I'm wondering if the copper IUD is the cause??? The reason why I even got that one inserted was because they said it was non hormonal. Is it possible we are all suffering from some sort of depression or is the IUD to blame??? I'm interested to know your feed back...I'm so considering taking it out now!
I saw this posted on a website about side effects of IUDs:

The Mirena IUD can cause ovarian cysts. Some women using the Mirena stop bleeding altogether. Usually their menstrual periods return when the IUD is removed. Mirena can cause weight gain, headaches, increased blood pressure, acne, depression, and decrease in sex drive.

Also, I have repeatedly seen information that states if you have a strange fluid or odor coming from you vagina, you should get in touch with your health care provider.
I had the copper IUD placed 10 mon ago.  I have intense cramping on the first to second day of my cycle.  Especially on the right or left side of where my uterus is located.
I also have noticed a different smell in my discharge but only in last several months.  
My bleeding has gotten heavier since going off the pill.  This does not help the anemia problem that I have been battling for over a year.  
I did want to ask if anyone else with an IUD noticed an increase in the amount and the consistency of their discharge in between their cycles?  I always have clear-ish, thick snotty looking discharge and it is always tinged with blood or brownish.
Also I noticed that I sometimes bleed/spot for a day or two after having sex.
If I am the only one experiencing this I need to call my doctor.  Otherwise is will just be nice to know that I am not the only one.

Thanks Ladies!
I am a 38 year old with 2 children aged 5 and 3 years. I recently had the copper iud removed after having it for 1 year. In this year I experienced weight gain, depression and low libido. What I found was that in the week before my peiod I felt very low, and found myself having very dark, miserable thoughts. I am not an unhappy person in general. Also, little things would really annoy me, and it felt like if I didn't vent my frustration in those moments, I would just burst. It was like a real internal pressure of mood. I am wondering if anybody else has experienced similar restlessness with it. I am happy to say that I have had it out for a couple of months and I feel so much happier. I am not experiencing the lows in that week before my period to that intensity.
Yes! I couldn't believe I hadn't attributed these things to my copper IUD. I have had all the signs depression, horrible acne on my face, neck and behind my ears and low sex drive, and worst of all I have gotten a "spare tire" that I have NEVER had and cannot get rid of. It was driving me crazy, because I wasn't suspecting the IUD. I just kept thinking that maybe it was because I was getting older (which I knew in my heart isn't the reason), stress (which wasn't any different than before) or something else. I wasn't suspecting it because it has "no hormones" so I figured it couldn't cause any problems! I am a smart girl, getting my Nurse Practitioner Masters in Women's Health, how could I not think of this!!! I also notice some people on certain posts saying things like "if you're gaining weight, watch your diet" any snotty stuff like that, which cracks me up because I don't know many women that aren't aware of their diet! You know when you are making bad choices about food and ignoring exercise, and I wasn't doing any of things! Like I said, I am in school for that, so I am aware! I wasn't necessarily gaining much weight, but it was redistributing on my body, to my stomach, and I felt myself getting wider? Am I crazy? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. AK
I had mirena coil for two years and i experienced increasing side effects. I got really bad mood swings, felt tired a lot, lower back pain and my sex drive had decreased. I also had a few episodes when i nearly wet myself because my bladder control has become weak (im 26 and have no kids). My memory increasingly became rather fuzzy and my eyesight started playing tricks on me as well. I also got frequent periods of anxiety that i never used to have. On the plus side my periods became lighter even though they were more painful and I slept a lot better (maybe due to the tiredness). After reading about the experiences of other women, i pulled my mirena out myself. This was a month ago and i am already feeling really great, my sex drive has sky-rocketed, no more back pain and i have lots more energy. Even my memory has improved.
Oh My God! I am so glad I decided to look up on the IUD. I can relate to so many of these side effects. I put in my IUD in June 2006, and by Nov 2006 I had gained quite a bit of weight, a weight I have never been even when I was preggies. I have two kids at 9 and 7 now. And  its time this year June to remove it. I am planning to have my third child and decided to check up on its effect after use.
I can so relate to the heavy bleeding ( I had period for 12 days on the first month and ever since it has been about 7 or 8 days and generally very heavy flow for 2 days) something I am not used to. I also have been gaining weight no matter what I do ( I exercise regularly and watch my food) and its centered around my mid riff mostly. My water retention is also very high. And last year Istarted getting very temperamental and depressed easily. Nowadays I am very demotivated because I am tired all the time and feel weak most days. I will have a surge of energy when I exercise and then the next day will be back to square one.
I have looked for answers everywhere and as far as the medical field is concerned I am in the pink of health but I cant say I feel the same.
I decided to go and remove my IUD this week but worried about unwanted pregnancies, I cant handle anymore abortions. Any effective suggestions?
I had a copper iud put in about a year ago. Im wondering if bloating and gaining weight is a side effect. I always feel like im bloated. I also have gained 15lbs since having it put it. No real changes in my life style and im wondering if this can be from the copper iud. I have an appt. to get it out on mon. but would like some input before then.
I've had my copper IUD for a year and since I stopped breast feeding 8 months ago, I've noticed a distinct decrease in sex drive and a marked increase in mood swings, fatigue and irritability.  I have 2 small children whom I love to be with, a wonderful husband, and, frankly, a fantastic life as a stay at home mom, yet I find I am constantly irritated by the smallest things for about 3 weeks of the month.  The only somewhat good week is the week after my period.  My husband has really noticed the changes and has been very supportive but that hasn't helped at all.  I'm having my IUD removed and I'm going back on the pill, which is what I was trying to get away from.  However, we clearly do not want more children and neither of us wants to do anything permanent, so this feels like my only option.  I was so relieved to read all the other comments about similar reactions from other women, on this site and many others.  Good luck everyone.
i have had a iud and my legs have swelled up so bas ankels. ive got bad anxitey attacks weight gain im know on disabilty for a year they dont know what it is i still have the iud in and i was wondering if maybe this is the problem has any one had any swelling in yous ankels

I am a 28 mother of two. My kids are 15 months apart so you can see why I wanted a good bc.  I didn't want to get a bc with hormone because with my age when I am ready to try for another baby I don't want to have to wait a long time to conceive.  I have had the copper iud for a little over a year, and I have to say it has been pure Hell!! I've gained weight,low sex drive, depression, and I am on my period all the time! I don't know if any of this has anything to do with the iud but I am starting to wonder.  In the begining it was fine a little heavy periiods but nothing i've never experienced before, but about 6 mths ago my periods became really irregular.  I started spotting it lasted for about 3 weeks,then heavy bleeding w/ clots for about a month.  I went to the doctor he gave me some pills to take for a week to regulate and he said they should get back to normal.  I had one normal period and now once again I have been bleeding for 2 mths, I am calling this morn to make a app and possibly have the iud removed.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I too have had my copper IUD for almost 2 years and I have no sex drive either, I have also experienced depression, I have gained about 10 lbs and my period never comes on time, I usually get every 35 days or so.
I was someone who always had my period on time, didn't gain weight easily, and generally loved myself. It has been 37 days since my last period ....... I get the bloating .. worse then ever before, but the period just doesn't come and when it does it is either so incredibly bad I have feel like I'm going to pass out from blood loss or its so faint, all I use is a light pad for a day or two. I am really considering having mine removed.
I have had my IUD for like 3 years and it has never caused me problems until now. I have not had my period in ten days, I rarely bleed at all when it comes. I just have big clots. My sex drive is gone and I cannot seem to have an orgasam. Also, I have had a UTI now for like 2 weeks

I've had my IUD now for just under a year and i am freaking out because i am 2 weeks late, i have pregnancy like symptomps such as tender breasts, nausea, and feeling tired all the time...i can't get a doctor's appointment for another few days but i'm stressing out now about the possibility of being pregnant...did anyone find they had these side effects including late periods??? HELP!!!
Hi everyone, I have been on IUD for over 3 years and have experienced heavier periods and unberable cramps.

However, even worse, I have just heard from a few ladies that IUD can cause ectopic pregnancy.I am soon going to get my IUD removed.

As for sex drive, I think it comes from having a child rather than from IUD as I have never lost my sex drive since I had IUD.

Biologically, sex is for reproduction. Once a woman has a baby, the purpose of having sex is finished. So off course, we should/could feel less like having sex.

It could also be caused by not being with the right man. I have been in a relationship with a man for 1.5 years and a few months ago, I realised that he was not the right man. Not long after that, I stopped enjoying having sex with him. So I stopped having sex with him.
I've had my copper IUD in for about 4 months--I've always been ridiculously skinny, but I've started to get a really weird "spare tire" that I can't seem to get rid of. I attributed to getting older (though I've only just turned 24) and started running 6 miles a day and nothing helps. On top of that I've started to get crippling anxiety, and although I am the happiest that I have ever been in my life, I find myself insanely depressed. I need to get this IUD out! Thanks for sharing all of your stories, I wouldn't have put the pieces together without them.
im getting my iud out to day (YOOOOO ) hate this thing in side me im havin al these problems but the thing that bugs the hell outa me i have a real bad oder (down below) an cant let me hubby of 10 yrs near me as im inbarresed no matter hi many tym i wash its ther, i kept putting of geting it out as i dnt want any more kids but jus cant cope the it geting me down an gaining weight ,,,,,,,,,,,,DRIVES ME UP THE WALLS  
i have the cooper IUD for 7 years and it works beautifully. I'm 29 yrs old with 3 children. my cramps hurt more i bleed alittle longer but it's work not pushing out no 7pd baby.
I've only had the copper IUD for 2 weeks now..and already i'm beginning to worry. Since the day of insertion i haven't stopped bleeding..and its ALOT of bleeding. i was previously on the depo for 1.5 years and therefore i am not used to having such intense periods. The cramping is unbearable and lately i have been depressed...a bit suicidal...and my best friend and i have had our first real fight due to these depressed feelings (if that has anything to do with the IUD). The doctor was worried about the placement of the IUD so i have an ultrasound scheduled in 2 weeks..i dont know if its even worth waiting that long with some of the stories i've read on here. All i've heard is bad news..is there any positive outcomes (other than not getting pregnant) that i can maybe look forward to? otherwise i'm getting this thing out and i'll have spent 160 bucks for nothing. The doctor said no side effects other than heavier bleeding, cramping, and longer periods..she never mentioned anything about depression. I thought that was the point of having copper instead of hormones..it wouldn't cause stuff like that! AND I've only had it for 2 weeks!
I am 32yr old and had the copper IUD for 3 days.  It seems unbearable.  Doc told me to take 4 Advil every 6 hours and come back in 2 weeks.  Before the six hours is up I can bearly walk from the cramps.  Not sure I can handle this.  From all your comments only seems like it gets worse.  I think I am going to get it removed and take my husband up on his offer to get himself fixed.  It just does not seem natural and it *****!  Best of luck to you all (and myself).
To everyone with a copper iud. I have to say that i have had this for 4 years now and i was always a healty weight of 120 pounds even after having my son. And healthy in general since getting the iud i've noticed worse allergies and i get sick more often, and i have not changed my diet and i excercise regularly also i've had skin rashes. I recently looked up some info on excess levels of copper and the effects it has on your body and i now believe that the iud is the cause of my immune system being compromised along with other side effects. It was the only thing that changed and i don't know how i didnt put it together before! Your body is in perfect balance with the certain elements it needs and when you throw an added unnatural element in that throws the whole balance off! hence the yeast infectons and bacterial infections.  I must add i had NEVER had either before getting an iud, and the first year i got them all the time...I urge you to research copper toxicity and get your iud removed..As i am going to as soon as possible! Although i dont know what i will use for birth control after since i do not want to have any more children at the moment. But also my health and wellbeing is most important at the moment.  here is a link to excess amounts of copper.....http://www.arltma.com/CopperToxDoc.htm
I am 37 years old and I had IUD (COPPER) jun 7 2009 ,and i am having  problam trable of hart beet from last month,if some one having a same proble.
i am 32 w/ 2 kids after 2 months of my delivery i have a copper iud inserted. few weeks i expereince severe lower back pain the following month i had my period very heavy which my Dr. told me its normal but my problem after 2months i expereince severe abdominal pain in my upper right quadrant are anyone of you expereince this after iud insertion? is iud can cause liver damage please let me know coz i'm planning to take out my iud as soon as possible. what family planning is best i dont want yet to pregnant again.
Today is my 2 weeks after my iud insertion. When I had my insertion done, I was on my 5th day menstrual period. Right after that my menses prolong and it hasnt stop till now. I am prepared because the gynae has told me that I may have heavier bleeding and cramps. But I dont suffer cramps but yes a little heavier menses.
Few hours after my insertion of IUD, I immediately had sex. My partner seems dont mind with the bleeding and we have it almost everyday. I am glad that our sex life is normal despite my prolong menses and its definitely worth sacrifice to this iud insertion and main concern is to those unwanted pregnancies.
So far I have not experienced low sex drive, gain weight or mood swings.
For those women out there, hope its just stress that these changes occur!
Ladies, thank you so much for sharing your stories!  It's great to know  I am not alone in this!

My copper IUD was inserted almost three years ago after bad reactions to hormonal birth control.  The first few months were not easy.  Adjusting to the feeling (it seemed like I could always feel it) and the heavier bleeding was rough, though my cycles are now like clockwork.  I have also experienced a HUGE decrease in ex drive (age 27 with no kids).  I have developed some acne, and always feel lethargic.

Here's the strangest part, though.  Shortly after the IUD insertion, I started getting hives regularly, and developed several food issues-  including gluten, lactose and mild nut allergies.  Because of this I've actually lost 35 lbs, but that's due to a severely limited diet.  Has anyone else experienced what could be considered an autoimmune reaction to their IUD?

I'm making an appointment tomorrow to talk to my doctor about the copper issues described above.  

Once again, thanks for sharing!
Had my copper IUD removed two days ago in order to get pregnant again.  No pain during removal - just like a pap exam.  Slight spotting afterwards.  However, I'll never use it again.  I thought my low sex drive was just me but perhaps there is a connection there based on the large volume of reports here.  The piece of advice I'd give women is try NFP - it takes time but extremely effective when used properly.  No hormones, chemicals or foreign objects messing with our bodies.  That's our plan for the future after God hopefully blesses us with another healthy child.  Good luck to you all.
dear regina, please advise what is NFP? i am also experiencing problems with my IUD (copper) after 8 months and thinking about getting it removed......yet the whole reason for using this device for contraception was so i did not need to use artificial hormones, something i wish to avoid. i would much appreciate any information or leads to information. Regards.
I have been using an IUD since 1997 (had it changed about 3 times during that time.  In 2006 I had part of my cervex removed due to abnormal cells and then had my IUD re-inserted a few weeks later.

At the beginning of this year I had my IUD removed due to several reoccuring infections.  I have been on no contraception since then. However, I have never fallen pregnant.  Also, I have only been a regular 28 day cycle on about 2 occasions since the removal.  Most of the time I have been overdue anywhere fro 2 - 13 days overdue.

What is the reason as I used to be like clockwork before the IUD and during?

Ive done pregancy tests last week and says negative.
I've heard that all the side effects everyone is talking about can be caused after you have a child too.  Having a baby severely upsets your hormones natural balance.  Naturally a mother's sex drive can go down and there is a high chance that the depression is postpartum.  If you have had the IUD inserted right after you have had a baby, you could easily mistake certain 'side-effects' for what the body is naturally going through.
This is sooo confusing and it feels like a coin toss at the end of the day! Cause some are happy some are very unhappy but i guess the unhappy would report more often than the Happy ones! So how many are happy and how many arent? Mystery?
Ally
Wow, i didnt know that anybody had the same side affects as me!!! Lets see ive had it in a year... and i feel sick and tired and moody all the time!! The only great thing about it is that i havent gotten pregnant. I have a 2 year old and at times i just cant handle dealing with someone else exspeacially when im on my period or about to start. Before i got the iud i dont really remember being sick or feeling tired or just unmotivatied. My sex drive has not gone down, but there are certain positions i can not do.. I have to take iron pills when im on my cycle.I feel like everytime im on my period, its like im losing as much blood as i did when i gave birth. My migraines are so bed im in bed for days. I always tell the doctor that when i have sex i can feel it polk my pelvis... but she says it not possiable.. But honestly after reading all these comments i am definatly taking it out. Im tired of feeling like **** all the time. I have no motivation and my mood swings are really bad. I feel like i hate everyone and everything when its that time of the month..
I had the most AGONIZING cramps with the copper IUD. I never got cramps before, and I haven't had them since. They were so terrible. But the worst part was, the IUD destroyed my vagina's bacteria, so I had a yeast infection for EIGHT months. Countless prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines, douching, etc. didn't work. I got the damned IUD out and the infection cleared up on its own a week later. Try other options, cuz I don't think that much copper is good for us.
i belive it is the iud that made me loose my sex drive. I just got the iud a month ago and i have not been in the mood to do anything i have also been have really bad pains so i belive i made the wrong descion in have the copper iud inserted in my body.Oh yeah and most important i took a pregnancy test and i am pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!worst choice ever
Hi all, I have 4 kids age 5-12 and I had the copper IUD fitted a year ago, after the doctor recommended it as the pill was causing me seriously heavy periods and i had tried numerous pills. Ever since my periods are bearly there, which i suppose is a good thing but I am snapping constantly at the smallest things, my sex drive has virtually disappeared, (which is putting a great strain on my relationship) and I have also gained quite a lot of weight (only around my middle though) that i cant seem to shift at all.  At first the idea that the coil could have caused this never entered my head as the copper coil doesn't release any hormones - but everything else in my lifestyle has remained the same and after reading all your comments on here im starting to believe it is the coil that is causing all this and im seriously thinking of having it removed!!  Does anyone truly believe the coil is to blame??

Thanks for reading
Lisa
It is a DEf* known fact that after pregnancy all women suffer some type of Postpatum depression.

•Postpartum depression is depression that occurs soon after having a baby. Some health professionals call it postpartum nonpsychotic depression.

◦This condition occurs in about 10-20% of women, usually within a few months of delivery.

◦Symptoms can include inability to sleep, agitation, and mood swings.

◦Risk factors include previous major depression, psychosocial stress, inadequate social support, and previous premenstrual dysphoric disorder (see premenstrual syndrome for more information).

◦Symptoms include depressed mood, tearfulness, inability to enjoy pleasurable activities, trouble sleeping, fatigue, appetite problems, suicidal thoughts, feelings of inadequacy as a parent, and impaired concentration.

◦If you experience postpartum depression, you may worry about the baby's health and well-being. You may have negative thoughts about the baby and fears about harming the infant (although women who have these thoughts rarely act on them).

◦Postpartum depression interferes with a woman's ability to care for her baby.

◦When a woman with severe postpartum depression becomes suicidal, she may consider killing her infant and young children, not from anger, but from a desire not to abandon them.

•Postpartum (puerperal) psychosis is the most serious postpartum disorder. It requires immediate treatment.

No specific cause of postpartum depression has been found.

•Hormone imbalance is thought to play a role.

◦Levels of the hormones estrogen, progesterone, and cortisol fall dramatically within 48 hours after delivery.

◦Women who go on to develop postpartum depression may be more sensitive to these hormonal changes

Postpartum could effect your sex life in a major way ... you lose all sex drive and the ability to perform as useual ... this also might effect your relationship with your mate and cause marriage problems.. it also can effect work and your employers..

All Maynot apply to you but believe me a lot of women is goin through these symptoms right now...so if you kno someone who feels like this contact there doctor ASAP..
I have had my copper iud in for four months now, and I have experienced very similar side affects.  My sex drive has disappeared.  I had a baby 6 1/2 months ago, my third child.  Prior to the iud, our sex life was the best it has ever been.  No issues with orgasm, a healthy desire, etc.  Now, I want to have sex but my body doesn't seem to get aroused, and if I do, the orgasm seems to disappear before it occurs.  I have had bloating and terrible PMS for up to two weeks before my period.  And the depression, nasty thoughts, just general feeling terrible and getting irritated at every little thing! Thank God my children are forgiving!  I did experience a little bit of depression post partum, but a lot of it had to do with fears of moving to a new stage in life and possibly not having any more kids. It was going away, and this is definitely different.  Cyclical.  Seriously praying about getting this thing taken out.  Right now I have had spotting for the last week, one week before my period was supposed to come, so we will see how long it lasts and if a real period starts.  Also the heavier bleeding (which was bad enough) I have 3 or four days where I will go through an ultra thin regular or overnight pad AND super plus tampon in an hour or two, tapering to four hours in the middle of the period.  Lasts about 8+ days too.
Hi everyone - not sure how to post on this forum (hoping I'm doing it right) but I had the copper IUD for 3 years and while on it I loved it - I never had any problems other than heavier than normal bleeding for the first 6 months and painful cramps but after about a year the cramps had decreased in intensity.  I never had painful or heavy periods before and my sex drive never decreased, I never gained weight or became moody and I never felt it while having sex, nothing.  I also haven't had any children yet.  I had it removed in September of 09 because my husband and I wanted to start trying.  About a year ago (Nov 08) I did start having some abdominal pain in the upper right hand part of my stomach and I went to the doctor and over the course of many months I had a CT scan, abd ultrasound, blood tests, a HIDA scan (where they test your gallbladder) - doctors were positive it was my gallbladder but everything came back normal.  It was an intermittent type of pain that came and went and decreased/increased in intensity and was sporadic - basically no rhyme or reason for it and I was worried because I wanted to start a family but didn't know where this pain was coming from and worried I had cancer.  After getting my IUD out in September 09 I haven't experienced this pain since and I suspect it had something to do with the IUD and the copper in it.  I've read that it can cause an excess of copper in your body so perhaps thats it.  I'm relieved its gone and I just wanted to post my story in case anyone else experienced it.  

Also I'm a proponent of natural birth control.  Its called fertility awareness and if you're interested in it just google it.  You don't need hormones or condoms or IUDs or diaphrams.  It is so easy and simple and I really don't understand why they don't teach it in health class in junior high school.  Basically all you need is a thermometer and you need to take notice of your fertility signs (which for me is just checking my cervical fluid every day).  I've been doing this for 9 months and I can pretty much predict when I'm going to have my period and from there I can tell when I'm most fertile.  

Here's a quick synopsis: Day 1 is the first day of your period.  A woman who has a regular 28 day cycle will ovulate 14 days after the first day of their period and from there she will have her period 14 days later (28 days from day 1).  For me I ovulate 21-22 days after the first day of my period because I have a longer cycle (anywhere from 32-38 days).  So for the first part of my cycle (days 1-21) my temperature will be low, anywhere from 97-97.5 degrees.  Then around day 21 or 22 my temperature goes up to 98-98.5 degrees because I've ovulated and that causes a rise in temperature.  The day your temperature goes up means you've ovulated and you can't get pregnant anymore. From the day your temperature goes up approx 12-14 days later you'll get your period and your temperature will go back down to 97 degrees (approx).  (Now keep in mind this is if you are ovulating).  And you must keep in mind that sperm can live in your body for up to 5 days when you're fertile so if you had sex a few days before you ovulated you could get pregnant.  Also interesting is that sperm will die immediately in your body if you aren't fertile but when you're fertile they can live for 5 days, crazy huh?  The best rule of thumb is to take your temperature and chart your cycle regularly and you'll get a sense of when you're "fertile" and you just can abstain from having sex or use a condom during that time period.  I've been taking my temperature every day (to be reliable you have to do everyday at the same time every day and try to do it before you get out of bed in the morning) but ever since I've been taking it I feel much more control of my life and my body.

Good luck :)
Oh and one more thing - if you're sick with the flu or a cold and have a fever that will cause your temperature to rise too so you have to keep that in mind for charting purposes.  Also I have an i-phone and they have fertility applications you can buy which all you do is enter in your temp and your 'signs' and it will show you the days you're fertile.  
I am 21 yrs and i just had my baby girl 7 weeks ago; the thing with IUDs is that they might have many side effects that doctors will not see as bad as we all do, 2 years ago i had an spontaneous abotion, and as soon as the doctors "clean me up" they inserted the IUD on me and kinda explain to me the risks and side effect but i put no attention to them because i was feeling really bad inside, so after a few months i stared to experience really bad headaches, crampings out of the blue, light periods or no period at all, painful sex and depression, i went and google them and it happen to be related to the IUD so after 9 months with those simptoms i had it removed my doctor told that the IUD had been missplaced and because of it, the IUD was starting to be part of my body! i was scared, my doctor told me i got lucky not getting pregnat and not having more serious complications. After that i had no other contraceptive because i wanted to have a baby, 4 months later o got pregnant again and thanks to god i have a healthy pretty baby girl, 2 weeks ago i reinsert the IUD again and explain what happen before to my OB and she told me i should not have any complications this time since the first IUD was Mirena and this time is the cooper one, but so far i been having bad headaiches and crampings, but im not sure if it is normal to have this simptoms again!...
I got my Copper IUD in Aug...I have one daughter age 3..everythings been fine, i even lost 15 pounds, and no mood swings like the pill.. I thought everything was perfact...Well friday night my boyfriend and i were having sex and all of a sudden i felt this horrable stabing pain, i got up and walked to the bathroom where i started to see thoughs spots you see before you pass out..I hurried up and laid on the floor, still in stabing pain, i started cold sweating, and could hardly breath..i laid there for prolly 30 min not being able to move..The next day i went to the er and everthing came back normal, they said it had to be the IUD..I thought i was going to die..has anyone been though this??? I called my ob doc and i cant get in till dec 7th..although the pain has gone away it just the most freakiest thing iv ever been through..
i just got mine 4 days ago and im cramping so bad i have tried every pain killer out their.   any one know how long this discomfort will last i cant take it any more?????/
I am 33 years old and have 3 kids...i have had the copper IUD for almost 8 years now and have had the worst bacterial infections ever since...It never fails every single month just right before my period i get one..i have been to my gyn so many times i have lost count, she runs test on me every time to find out the problem and it is always the same ol' bacterial infec, so she keeps treating me with flagyl but it always comes back. I finally decided to see if it might have something to do with my IUD and im thinking from reading all the stories that it sure might. I'm also depressed most of the time and have no desire for sex. I think my only solution is to have it taken out although i really enjoy having it knowing i don't have to worry about getting pregnant. I wonder why my Dr. never has said anything about my infections being related to the IUD. I wish i would have known a few years ago the side effects because i have suffered from this burning and itching for way too long and i just cant take another month of this...Please let me know if anyone else has this same problem
I've had my copper iUD for 5 years and I've been on my period for two months now. I don't know what is wrong, does anyone have the same problem?
I have the mirena I have had it for a year now and for the longest time all the doctor that i have seen have said that my symptoms that i have are probably not from the iud and had a few pevilc exams which showed that the string was there and the doctors assumed everything was okay it has been exactly 1 year now and i finally got a new doctor who for the first time did an ultrasound that showed that the iud was improperly placed and may need surgry to remove it. For the last year i have experienced multiple ovarian cysts that have burst and are very pain ful. These most likley developed because of the heavy bleeding every month that last 3 - 3 1/2 weeks with 4 - 7 days off. This month i have been heavy bleeding for a month and 2 days and have not gotten my week off. I also have fatigue which may be caused from the sever blood loss. Also am suffering from some major depresion and severe cramping. I plan on getting it removed as soon as possible. I am worried because i have not had good experience with birth control in the past and have tried just about everything. (got pregnant with my son who is now 16 months when using the nuva ring) bleed for the whole three months when i tried the depo. Have a terrible time remembering to take pills so that would just be setting my self up for a disaster (considering i have 3 children as it is) and also tried the patch but is not as effective because there is a weight limit for it. My only other option may be to get my tubes tied which is a very hard decision for me to make but may be my only choice. My side effects are very rare, and have heard many great things about the iud which is why i had it placed but just thought it would be nice to share my experience and to see if there is any other woman who have experienced any similar symptoms.  
Hi, very scary stuff reading all this. I have no children, but had the copper coil inserted bout 4 months now, and have found it amazing. I have spent most of my life celibate due to the horrendous effects hormonal contraception has had with me. But you cant help falling in love and obviously that area needs to be sorted, as I dont want kids. Tried mini pill (o my god, hell, acne, weight gain, depression, constant crying), So came off  it & asked doc bout copper coil coz no hormones, and any reactions would be my own, and I cant blame it on anything else. Obviously it takes time for the pill to come out of your system, up to 6 months with some, but now I feel like me again which is ace. I get the normal pre-menstrual feelings, but nothing like the constant PMS feelings which the pill made me feel. Yeah I bloat couple of days before period (I have always done this & its normal for loads of women), on pill would be bloated all the time. Yeah the periods are bit heavier, and the painful cramps do ease in time. It sounds like some people are getting iud and ius mixed up, and also if you have been on hormonal contraception, or just had babies, your normal hormone pattern is going to take time to adjust, the copper coil has no hormones so can not attribute to the side effects felt. Everyone needs time to adjust & allow natural hormones to balance themselves out. Stick with it (easier said than done I know, but it is worth it).
After the birth of my son my doctor reccommended an IUD. Don't know where I have been but I never hear of these before. Now I do. I got the Mirena IUD and liked how I did not have a period and did not have to rember to take a pill every day. Also I did not gain weight- like the pill does to me. BUT the worst side effect was that I broke out in the worst acne immaginable. Huge horrible acne all over my face, chest, neck, shoulders, and back! It hurt to even sit up against a chair. I was covered in it, I mean covered. I am 28 years old and all my life I have never had acne, an occasional breakout but never ever so horrible as what I was experienceing with the Mirena IUD. Mortified I could not wear a tank top, let alone a swim suit, and my face was so bad, no amount of make up or acne creams could hide or get rid of this awful problem. My doctor tried to tell me this was my body reacting to having a baby, etc. Well my son was a year old by now and I new from the begining it was this IUD. So perhaps the hormones in Mirena were way off for me. The doc prescribed an acne cream which dried out my skin so, so bad and bleached all of my clothes since I had to put it all over me (and I could hardly reach my back to apply it). I got it removed and went on Yaz birthcontrol pills. Of course a litlle weight gain came but the skin all over me started to clear up. Thank God! Now, I still hate taking the pill, for so many reasons... So time went on and I decided to do more research. Apparently there is a copper IUD without any hormones. Hmm sounds interesting. I like the idea of no hormones, and not taking a pill, and it is supposed to last a long time (10 years or so). So talked to my doc. and got the ParaGuard copper IUD. I thought this would be completely different than the Mirena IUD. Well it didn't take long before the horrible acne started again! This time at least it was smaller- if you will. The pimples were not as huge, and slighlty (only slightly) less abundant. But still they cover my entire back, entire chest/neck, shoulders, and face. This time I seemed to be able to control the acne on my face a little better and thus could cover up the rest of me with clothing (still no tank tops, cute dresses, or a swim suit). I thought it would get better. It has been almost a year since I've had the ParaGuard IUD, my son is 2.5 years old now and I am still having this acne problem (so it is not post pregnanct hormones acting up at this point, and it can't be my body still adjusting to the IUD)
As for the other side effects I do experience migrains a day or two before my period, but they have gotten better too I must say. I can have very, very, heavy periods sometimes, but other times it will be light or normal. And also the mood swings are definately there. I thought I was jsut very stressed out all of the time but this is just not me. I continue to give the IUD the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I shouldn't anymore. I still have the ParaGuard in and I'd have to go back to birth control pills (augh) if I got it removed. Another factor is..theses things are not cheep and insurance pays for some of the cost but not all, and I have now had the Mirena and the ParaGuard in the course of 2.5 years, I am still making payments on them. So that finacial waste makes me want to keep it a while more. But now I am supposed to be in a friend's wedding wearing a cute strapless dress. I will be mortified by the look of my skin! I cannot keep hiding it. I even try to hide it from my husband, unsucessfully of course. To make matters a little worse I will be switching health insurance to a more expensive plan and this make s me not want to take out the IUD and go on the pill. I think great, I don't have to pay for birthcontrol pills any more, at least for the next several years. Oh, what to do?
Ahh. Are there any great birth control methods out there!!?? (forget abstinance :) )
Well anyway, long-winded but I wanted to post this because after reading about a lot of the side effects other ladies have been having I did not see much, if any about this horrible (to say the least) ance problem. I hope this will help someone else either make a sound decision or realize that this is not normal post-pregnancy (or anytime of your life) hormones acting up.
I highly recommend researching "copper toxicity". I've had my Copper IUD for a little over 2 months and have experienced many of the symptoms shared here: mood swings, depression, irritability, low sex drive, a fainting spell, lower abdominal pain, terrible cramps, etc.. I'm normally a very positive upbeat person but now I just feel plain blah most of the time.

So I did some research and found that too much copper in your system can create the exact symptoms I experienced and so many of you here have indicated experiencing. We're not going crazy!

Here is a great article that sums it up really well: http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

Please check it out, it may answer a lot of questions.

I'm getting my IUD removed on Monday... not soon enough!
does any one knows why are the iud cause vaginal infections.?
I have read all of these comments because I have been thinking about having one placed. After reading all of your side effects it made me want to look into what Copper does to the body. I found a great website http://www.acu-cell.com/crcu.html . This website basically explains all of these side effects of depression,mood swings, and general adrenal and mood abnormalities. I would highly recommend reading this. I think that the negative side effects of copper can be counteracted with other minerals and foods.
I am 30 years old and have always used condoms since the hormones in the pill make me very moody. I had an IUD (copper coil) fitted in August. Since then I have gained over 10lbs but I had put it down to going on holiday and over-eating and figured it would come back down. Instead it has steadily increased. the extra weight is predominantly around my midriff - a spare tire effect. My libido drastically dropped about a 6 to 8 weeks after the IUD was fitted. I also began to have fairly dark, depressing thoughts and feelings of hopelessness and fatigue that is very unusual for me. The lack of libido caused issues in my relationship and we nearly separated. It is slightly better now but I think it is more of my own perseverance than anything else.

I'm making an appointment to have mine removed on Monday.

If I lose weight, get my libido back and feel happier and more capable of dealing with life I will re-post to let you all know in a few months (or sooner).

best wishes
I have had one of these since October. My DS was born in September. I had completly natural childbirth, no drugs no ripping., But I did have slight lacerations on the side from delivery. Here is my delimma. I cannot have sex without severe pain! I am wondering if this is something to do with childbirth, or if it is the IUD. I don't necessarily feel like my husband is "hitting" the IUd. My pain starts upon "insertion". Worse than the first time we had sex! Anyone else have this problem??
I got my IUD put in last may and since then i have gained 20 pounds and my sex drive is there mentally just not physically, my partner can feel it when we have sex and it feels like he is pushing it. I get dry really fast during sex and he is starting think that i am not sexually attracted to him. I am going to make an appointment to have it removed as soon as possible... does any one else have the same sex issues that i have?????
I have read everyone's posts and agree with everything. I have had my copper IUD for almost 3yrs. and have dealt with the many side effects of it. But here lately I am at my wits end. I have been lightly bleeding just enough to have to wear a pad for 3wks straight. And the weird part about it, not that that isn't enough, is that I only bleed during the day when I am moving about. I do not bleed at night when I am asleep. So when morning rolls around and I have a glimmer of hope that it has finally gone away, I wipe and there it is.  Somebody tell me what in the world is up with that?!!!

I am 32yrs old, and have no children. I intend to keep it that way, hence the whole reason for an IUD. And like many of you I wanted something that would prevent pregnancies but yet be hormone free. For many years I was on the depo shot and EVERYONE told me how unnatural it was and I was soppose to have a period, blah blah blah. The only reason I went off of the depo was because my hormones were so out of whack that I was about to snap.

So now here I am looking up all the side effects and realizing I am not the only one going thru this madness. I have made an appt. to remove the IUD and perhaps look into either getting my tubes tied or having some sort of coils put in my fallopian tubes...I'm not sure what exactly that is. Read about it and thought it sounded wonderful!

Btw, my sex drive never decreased. Increased actually, but then again I like think that I am at that age where it is starting to peak! Just getting revved up! ;-)
Hi, I am happy to have come across this site and just decided to repost this on here, instead of retyping it all. I was reading all the way from the beginning, then skipped lots in between..just too much women all with the same issues. I have had my Nova-T copper IUD(canadian kind, but only good for 3-5 years) in for 1 1/2 years now. I have had abnormal periods in the past, but since I had this IUD inserted, I have had a very heavy 7 day period at least every 4 if not 6 weeks when it was late.....but always very very heavy from the IUD. Now concerns have risen, since my last period was in the end of December. I have been waiting patiently, just thinking it will be a little late, but will come shortly. So, in the beginning of this month I had no cramps, but very light spotting for four days and also some dark brown blood at times...very little though. After that it just never came. so I was unsure if to consider that a period or not. Definately not the heavy period I am use to since the time I had the IUD inserted. I have two young boys, 2yrs and 5yrs, so I know spotting can happen when u are pregnant. I have been having sore breasts and eating lots, so just too confused. ON the 18th of this month I went in for my 6 month pap(6 month follow up after having a leep procedure done in August/cutting off bad cervical cells) I told my doctor my conerns, so they just did a urine test and she said it is very odd chances of getting pregnant, almost none. She said to have missed or no periods are normal, but then I told her my IUD was not a Mirena with hormones as I knew she thought mine was. She said the strings I had on this IUD, look like a mirena IUD, so that is why she probably said that..knowing the hormones in the Mirena may cause no periods. I told her( I am in states now by the way), that in Canada the copper IUD is not the same as the one here. She just said the urine test was negative and not to worry. I asked her if I could come in a month. She looked at me annoyed and said if I feel like I want to, but the strings are still there and there is no chances of pregnancy. I am paronoid, esp. in 2003, I had an ectopic pregnancy, but had no IUD at that time. I am so confused and sleepless at nights. I am worried and not sure if I should take her word, or start going out and buying my own pg tests and do every few weeks to make sure till a period returns. It is just too strange. I was thinking, maybe it was just too early and I will for sure rebook an appointment with her in a month to make sure, and ask her to do another pregnancy test or even better, a blood test. I can tell she does not appreciate me telling her what to do, but I feel she just does not take me seriously enough and see the chances are there even if I have an IUD and really thinks I am over board. Has anyone else had a copper IUD, missed a period like me and showed up negative on the urine test? Do you think it may just be too ealry? I will pray, and either way me and my husband will have to deal with it.
hi all,

so glad I looked this up on google! I had copper coil fitted 5 months ago and have had depression, severe mood swings to the point I know I am going to blow, tiredness, bloating, weight gain, acne, the list is endless. I too never thought this could do this to me as it contains no hormones etc but after reading these posts I think I will go and get it removed. I was on the pill for 10 years but came off it due to increased headaches and my doc automatically blamed the pill. Apart from the headaches, I didnt have a single problem when I was on it- my skin was clear, my weight was stable, no mood swings and definately no depression. Some days I dont even want to get out of bed and never thought an IUD could cause it! thanks so much to all of you who have posted your comments, its reassuring to know I am not going mad!!

hope you all get sorted!!
I read through most of these posts and all I can say is how I CANNOT believe women would try these methods! I did research on all types of contraceptive methods and I am so shocked at the things women will do out of ignorance. Look at what those IUD's are doing to these women. They seem so destructive. I have 3 kids, am 30 yrs old, married, and use natural family planning. There are several methods and I use the Marquette method which also works with the 'clear blue' easy ovulation test kit, and its awesome! I not only feel so healthy and confident about this method of spacing our children and bonding with my husband, but I have that control over my fertility rather than having a doctor control it with some 'artificial' method that can f-up your body! and your most precious part as well!

The NFP methods require some kind of abstinence OF COURSE such as during menstruation and during the ovulation time which is at most 6 days. But one needs to "learn" NFP to be accurate. It is natural it doesnt intrude on a womans most prized 'organ' that makes her a woman.......her fertility.
All artificial birth control methods still at some point will require SOME kind of abstinence for whatever reason....and of course it drives hormones WAKKO! It comes down to the man-husband to respect the woman's cycle, her body, and realize there are moment they should not have sex because it will result in a baby, and at the same time, they will recognize WHEN tis baby time, so that they may conceive. So simple!
My suggestion....Get off those artificial and destructive IUDs!!!

enough is enough am only after looking at recent photos and then compared them to before when i didn have the copper idu in. i dont recognize myself my boobs r huge and my face looks like a full moom i look as if im all bloated up am so depressed over this am geetting it out ave gained 19lbs within 2 yrs can anyone please tell me how soon they noticed the weight loss after removal as i ave a family wedding in 4 mths time this would be sooooo appreciated a no?one posts if they actually lost weight after removal and how fast?
Hello, I have had the (copper)iud for six years now! I cant really say that i lost my sex drive at all... its still there exspecally around that time of the month! Is that normal? No real complants, just the spotting for like  two weeks after menstration, and course the cramps can be annoying.  But the reason im here 2day is Ive heard horror stories of tubal pregnacies. A co-worker w the iud got pregnate twice, and up ended up in the hospital. Has that happened to any one, and what was ur choice to keep it or take it out?.
ALL copper IUD users IMPORTANT- I just read the book "Why Am I Always So Tired" by Ann Gittlema and you can all be suffering from overload of copper in your system! I had never heard of it but I also had a copper IUD for years and am tired! Also check the levels of copper in your vitamins too.
I got inserted IUD 3years ago. At the beginning I did not have any problems with that at all. But after a year I started noticing discharge with metallic order and color, decrease in sex drive. Also, my thyroig gland in my throat started bothering; even breathing is sometimes difficult.  Then I researched its side effects online. You would not believe, I found a website about copper imballance stating the same problems I am having now.  I am planning to get it removed tomorrow. No waiting.  I am also going to ask my hubby to use condoms from now on.  Here is the link, hope it is helful for all.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm
Wow, I really wish i had searched further when decided to get this copper IUD. I assumed no hormones=no problem, i was perfectly fine with having heavier periods and cramps; but not acne, unexplained weight gain, moodiness, daily bloating, heaviness in my lower abdomen and constant bladder problems the list goes on. I never had any of these problems before the copper IUD, and cant believe that all these women could have similar symptoms and the doctors still say it isnt caused by the iud.
I am 18 years old, and am a virgin. I have been with my boyfriend, who is 19, for a year and a half now, and when I graduate in a month, we've decided that that will be the time which we can start having sex (he goes to college in town and I am going to one elsewhere in the state). We did some research and found out that the IUD is the most effective at preventing pregnancy. I am really bad about taking pills, and I looked up the NuvaRIng and am too nervous about accidentally pushing it too far in. So we were considering the IUD because of the price and how long it lasts, but after seeing all of these side effects, we're not so sure. Will the doctor warn me about any of these? We just want to be safe and not have to put way too much stress on ourselves.

Also, I have a nickel allergy. I'm not sure about copper, and I'm not sure if it's usual for people who have nickel allergies to also have copper allergies. But, at any rate, is this something I should worry about?

Please help, and thank you so much.
Hi all,

I would like to share my feelings after getting removed the copper IUD.   I simply feel great;  I can sit next to my husband again on the couch without any cramps, without metalic smell. My enxiety subsided, and I feel much more relaxed.  

Dear brittybear,  I understand your concern.  Although I am the one who had side affects and complained much about copper IUD,  I do not want to stop you from trying it out. Not everyone has the same body reaction.  Thus, doctors do not tell you the side effects which all the women on this forum has been experiencing or had experienced.  If you really would like to check it out, please, test the copper's effect on your outer body first.  Buy some copper bracelets and wear them for one or two weeks.  If your body does not react negatively; no brown discoloration of the skin, no pimples on your face,  no metalic smell on your wrist, it means that your nickel allergy is not the main concern.

Hope this helps,
Best luck

I have had this copper iud for a little of a year and my sex drive has decreased i am angry most of the time cant deal with my kids or husband and for the past couple of days i've had very severe back pain. I also been having a fever and legs are getting numb. sometimes my grip isn't so tight and my arms are numb. I also get joint pain and everytime i have sex i can feel my husband hitting the iud it is painful. I am 25 with 3 kids age 7-2yrs old. from what i am reading I know it's not just me it is this iud getting this thing out asap.
I had really high hopes for this method. I'm over all hormonal options, don't ever want biological children, in my 30s, ready for the IUD. Er, not so much. It irks me each time I see a vehement denier of the horrible side effects of this horrible product. I have had health problems since I have gotten the thing. It was a HORRIBLE procedure to get inserted, and I guess I should have known it was a bad sign when the doctor said "oh, so you've never had a vaginal birth?' after all the instruments were already IN MY UTERUS and they basically had to fight with my insides to get the thing in.

As for now, four/five months later? Basically, from what I can gather, my body is acting as if it's preg, puking 24/7, acne, weight gain only around the belly,  isanity, dizziness, you name it. Oh, and don't forget the constant cramps and feeling it inside me all day everyday. I get to sit at work wretching with the garbage can next to my desk. Awesome.

I've seen all the writers that say it's MY fault that my belly got puffy (?  ONLY my belly??), have these changes, etc. but, you know what? I KNOW MY BODY and I KNOW that I am not normally nauseous all day, everyday, I KNOW that I don't have a hard, distended belly for no reason, I KNOW that my vagina doesn't normally smell like a dirty penny when it is perfectly healthy!!

This thing ***** and I wish I could rip it out right now. Anyone who defensively argues otherwise has a stake in pharmaceuticals or something, cuz this things IS NOT GOOD for women's health! I'm going for ADIANA ASAP!!
I've been through all types of contraception out there, I was on the pill from when I was 14 to treat irregular and painful periods - the hormones really messed with my head and caused weight gain. I've tried injections, can't tell you how AWFUL that was, I had continuous periods and cried and cried. Tried patches, which also gave extended periods, moodiness and were uncomfortable and caused rashes. After the horrible experience of going through an abortion, I vowed something more permanent was needed, although I still don't want to have my tubes tied as I want to at least have a choice at a later date. I have a copper IUD, I've had it 5 years now since I was 25. It was the best thing I ever did. Yes it was uncomfortable when I had it put in, but not unbearable, and it was over very quickly. I'm now at the point where I have to have it removed. I'm a bit nervous about that, but I'm going to get a new one put in. I'm very surprised to read all the stories above about people being tired, depressed and lacking libido - I think the cause of that is just life in general. I get depressed every now and then, but not more so because of the IUD. I think they are great, and I would recommend them to everyone.
i've had the nuvaring in for 4 years, never put it up too far, its physically impossibe. you might want to concider that first if you are worried about the reaction you may have to the copper.

as for all the IUD ladies, i just got mine in about 3 weeks ago, got it in, got my period 3 days later, then had no period for a week. now i got my period again thats lasted for about 5 days. anyone else have their period twice? this is no spotting.
I have had my copper iud for 2 years now. This passed December I was diagnosed with a vaginal bacterial infection. My obgyn put me on an antibiotic and it seemed to get better, then about a week before my period it came back  . I had never had a bacterial infection before however now I can't seem to get rid of it. Every month like clockwork it comes back but worse no matter what antibiotic I take,it won't completely go away . It is affecting my relationship with my husband. Any similar cases out there?
thank you for this thread!

I can't use any hormonal methods, instead I have had copper IUD now 2,5 years and I have gained 13 kilos. I have suspected that it has something with the IUD to do only couple of days, and now I know I'm not just imagining things. All the time I have tried to sleep well, eat well, exercise and think positively, and nothing helped.

The reason I started to suspect my IUD was that 2003-2005 I also had copper IUD, and I gained 11 kilos. After I removed it I easily dropped all my overweight in less than five months. But at the time I didn't make any mental connection between those two things.

I also have other symptoms described here: tiredness, deppression, excessive bleeding, back pains, pains in joints...  

I'm having mine removed in two weeks, and I hope that after that I have better relationship with my body and my emotions. Back to using condoms, it's nice to share the responsibility with my partner!

It would be really nice to know if life has turned to better to those who have their IUD removed!

br, Lisbeth
Hi I've had the copper in now for about 4 months my regualr cycle wen i first got it as a child at 9yr old was 7 days long then went to 5 days from the age of 18 yr old to age of 25 yr old . Iam 25 now I have a 1 yr old, now with with the iud i am bleeding for about 2 weeks straight heavey bleeding cramps and lots of blood clots. I am more tired then ever before I know I am not pregnant. I am actually thinking about having it removed. Has anyone been experincing this problem now or before and if so what is your thoughts about having it removed?
I had the IUD Copper for 5 years and experianced 5 years of heavy bleeding, vaginal discharge and constant yeast infections.  It was horrible sometimes, I finally got it removed and feel much better already!  NO headaches, no fevers, no discharge, I feel like my old self again!
I had the paraguard and noticed that my orgasms wern't 'deep' and fulfilling like they were before it. I thought I might be crazy, but I had it removed today and finally had a 'deep' orgasm again. Those things are the female version of castration I swear on it don't ever get an IUD they will make you moody cause you won't get any and plus you won't want any.
There's a stack of anecdotal evidence here from real people who use the end product known as the IUD. It can have awful side effects.

After my second baby, I got one inserted and had it for 2.5 years. I believe my symptoms were:

- extremely heavy, uncomfortable periods
- painful sex
- very low sex drive
- poor orgasms
- inexplicable vaginal infections
- more irritabilty and mood swings than usual
- sensitivity in my pelvic area (had to guard pelvis when children jumping around)
- decreased immune system

It is now 2 months since removal, and I feel normal, and all symptoms have abated. I am happy to report my partner and I are back to using condoms. And while it may be somewhat of a drag for him, I feel FABULOUSLY MYSELF again.

My advice: do your research and weigh up the pros and cons. Not everyone will have the reaction I had.

Good luck with your contraception and sex life!

Annie

I can't believe that I have spent so much money (E350) on a copper IUD. I really had high hopes for it as it was a hormone free alternative. Now i have really heavy periods, really bad mood swings, horrible acne and extreme irritability. I want to get it removed but I am also afraid of relying on condoms and really don't like the pill at all. What can I do??!!!

Any suggestions would be brilliant! xo
I had the copper IUD for five years before I had it removed about two months ago.  My periods got worse with it over time; I thought I was going through early menopause.  The last month I had it in I had three heavy periods!  At that rate I would've ended up in the hospital!  I never prior to having the IUD did I have any menstrual issues.   I had cramps, heavy bleeding to the point of not being able to leave my house at times!  I became real angry at my partner because I the hell I was going through, so it affected my relationship and my sex life.  

He decided to get a vasectomy because I was not planning to have any more children.  I love him for it....so out it went!  I called it the little alien.  It was a instant relief!  My periods are back to normal.  I will never recommend it to anyone, it was an awful experience!  My body is back!    
Please anyone that has no problem with IUD please do not say it is in your head.  That is invalidating to them and their experience.  I have done research and there are some real issues out there with IUD.  Women are not truly being informed.  We tend to be sensitive to our body changes and we need to listen to them instead of doubting ourselves.  If you choose to IUD if you have these negative side effects listed above then you validate it for yourself.  Take care of your body.  What about men taking more responsibility for birth control instead of women always messing up their bodies and then getting blamed for being bitchy, angry, tired, sad, and depressed.  Our bodies are different than men.  
Hi all

I am from England and had my Copper IUD fitted on February the 25th.  I had also started WW on the 23rd of February having gained weight previously from using Cerazette (Progesterone Only Pill).  I only needed to lose half a stone at the time and did Weight Watchers specifically because I KNOW it works if you follow the programme as I did.  I had asked my GP about potential weight gain and she said it was rare but that it can happen!

When I initially went to my first Weigh in, I gained 3lbs.  I had never experienced this when I had embarked on WW before and was dismayed but put it down to teething problems with the Coil.  However, since February, my weight has further escalated despite sticking ridgidly to the plan and incorporating exercise.   I went back to my Dr's recently as I had begun to feel demoralised continually paying out money for no reward.  My leader at WW has also been at a loss to know how to help me either.  Despite showing my GP my stats for WW she refused to acknowledge that the coil was a contributor.  She sent me away for thyroid test (which I knew would come back negative).  When I pushed and asked whether I should make an appointment to come and see her again she said 'only if the test is positive'  Where would this leave me if the test was negative I wondered?  I went home and pondered and then asked for her to refer me to a dietician.  You see, my weight gain is such that I am above a healthy BMI for my diminutive height of 5ft.  I now weigh nearly 10 stone!   I am also sure that I am retaining a lot of water too.

As for my skin, I have been plagued with acne for months and my mood has been so low, even moving into a new house has done little to boost me.  

I am now waiting for my cycle to begin and cant wait (something I never thought I would say :-) as I will then be having it removed.  This should happen sometime this week.  

Meanwhile I have continued with WW and will continue to do so until this excess weight comes off.  I have in the meantime discovered a love of running which I intend to do until my hearts content.

Would love to hear from those who posted previously or have had similar side effects in the past, particularly the weight gain aspects that have now prevailed and overcome.

Regards

Sassy C
I have had my IUD in since January.  The first couple months my period was heavier than normal and my cramps were a lil uncomfortable. I never got cramps before & my period lasted 3 days tops. I have always had hormonal acne but not like i do now.  My acne is painful. It seems as tho I am constantly PMSing.  I am always tired with no burst of energy.  I wake up tired!  My stomache is HUGE!  I watch what i eat and running after 2 kids under 2 I am always active.  I go in and out of depression (i never did before) and I just have an over all feeling of unhappiness. I did feel as tho it was related to my IUD. My tummy isnt fat just big and bloated all the time.  My ovaries are always hurting me. I feel so ugly.  I am thinking of having my tubes tied instead and taking this device out.  Its refreshing to hear others with these same issues and mine isnt even the copper one.  It paraguard mad out of plastic.  I wish everyone luck!
I had a copper IUD inserted in May2010. Since then I have noticed mood swings, depression, fatigue, heavy periods, and cramps. Before I never had these symptoms. By nature i'm ususally always happy and have never stuggled with cramps or heavy periods. Now everything rubs me the wrong way. I have no energy or motivation to do anything except for what I have to do. My attitude ***** and I feel bad for people who are around me right now. This so not like me at all. I can't take birth control pills because I get migraines with aura, I won't take the shot bc I don't want to gain weight. I guess i'll try herbal remedies like yogi tea and siberian ginseng to help regulate hormones...

Have you guys tried any herbal remedies to help?
I am a 32 year old mother of 2. I had the ParaGard copper IUD inserted in October of 2009. I'm happy with it. Please understand ParaGard and Mirena are very different IUD's. ParaGard being non-hormonal, Mirena being hormonal. I used birth control pills and received Depo injections previously and on and off since I was 18. Synthetic hormones are terrible for your body, at least I believe so. Well, they certainly are for me anyhow.  Therefore, I do not and will not use hormonal pills or the Mirena IUD and do not recommend the use of them to anybody. This is not to say nobody will have satisfying experiences with hormonal methods. I'm sure many do. I experienced many of the symptoms women have been describing throughout this thread when using hormonal methods of birth control. I have not experienced the SAME side effects since having the ParaGard inserted. However, I have experienced different side effects with the ParaGard such as heavy flows, severe cramps, occasional uncomfortable intercourse, and longer periods. I would still rather deal with all of that for a week and a half every month or sometimes instead of remembering to take a pill or getting a shot that makes me feel like total crap, causes acne, weight gain, headaches, mood swings, possible blod clots and heart attack, decrease in libido, and alters your hormones so that for crying out loud your ENTIRE body is effected, maybe even permanently. Forget that! But that's just me. IUD's are not perfect either. Moving forward, if you are experiencing unexplainable mood swings,
increased acne, a decrease in sex drive, and noticeable weight gain, etc. it shouldn't be from your ParaGard if that's what type you have inserted. However, it could be from your Mirena if that's the type you have inserted. Although the hormones in Mirena are minimal, that's all it takes for some people to have a remarkable change in mood, libido, weight, acne etc. I do believe if you are allergic to the copper, you may have reactions to the copper in your ParaGard but should not experience changes associated with hormonal methods. ParaGard is NON-HORMONAL! You should however, consider your age, if you have given birth before or recently, whether or not your weight normally fluctuates, diet, exercise, stress factors, environment and even other possible health issues as reasons for experiencing changes that are more likely to be and normally are associated with hormonal methods. If you have experienced such effects following insertion of ParaGard, it is more coincidental in my opinion than actual. That is not to say, i think its made up or in your head. Go see a doctor! And this is not to say you definitely WILL not experience side effects not uncommon with hormonal methods of birth control when using a copper IUD because nobody can claim that to be a fact. Let's be truthful, ALL forms of birth control are not completely understood. Everybody is different, bodies react in various ways and some people will be content and others will not be happy with their current use of a particular method of birth control. And to address another concern regarding how ParaGard works: ParaGard is still mysterious and its magic is of course not completely understood but it is true that indeed this method changes the environment of the uterus in that it should not allow an egg to become fertilized (although that has happened before) and if it does, it cannot survive in your womb. However, yes, an embyro can result. There are key words here: "should not, if, has, cannot and can" Remember that. The following info was taken from a .org website: Clinical studies with copper-bearing IUDs suggest that fertilization is prevented by killing sperm. However, it is also known that the ParaGard IUD does not prevent ovulation. Some sperm may in fact reach the egg, resulting in fertilization. When fertilization does occur, ParaGard is thought to act as birth control by preventing the embryo from implanting in the uterus. So yes, again, an embyro CAN result (rarely) but is not likely to implant. If this bothers you, as you are not cool with the idea of your own body attempting to rid itself of an embryo, don't use ParaGard or maybe you should have it removed if you do have one. And pregnancy CAN result but it is usually terminated by the body although not always. Keep in mind your options and beliefs, it can be dangerous to remain pregnant if you are using any method of birth control, including any IUD, other than condoms. And remember, only you can decide what works best for you; not a doctor, your husband, boyfriend or mom. And finally, just to let all women that use any type of birth control know, you're certainly not alone or unique. I too have experienced side effects such as feeling like "a fat, ugly, bitchy chick that no man would ever want to touch and I don't want to be touched any way because it hurts to have sex anyhow and I'm bleeding like a stuck pig kinda gal"...

Peace to all and good luck with your choices!!
I have just finished reading the post by Lulu78.  

'I do believe if you are allergic to the copper, you may have reactions to the copper in your ParaGard but should not experience changes associated with hormonal methods. ParaGard is NON-HORMONAL! '
&
'You should however, consider your age, if you have given birth before or recently, whether or not your weight normally fluctuates, diet, exercise, stress factors, environment and even other possible health issues as reasons for experiencing changes that are more likely to be and normally are associated with hormonal methods. If you have experienced such effects following insertion of ParaGard, it is more coincidental in my opinion than actual. That is not to say, i think its made up or in your head. Go see a doctor! And this is not to say you definitely WILL not experience side effects not uncommon with hormonal methods of birth control when using a copper IUD because nobody can claim that to be a fact. Let's be truthful, ALL forms of birth control are not completely understood. Everybody is different, bodies react in various ways and some people will be content and others will not be happy with their current use of a particular method of birth control.'

When you say 'that is not to say I think its made up or all in your head' what do you mean by this as to my mind, your post contradicts all that has been said by others who feel that they are experiencing these symptoms since having the IUD?

It is good that despite as you say suffering theses symtoms you are willing to solider on with the Copper IUD however, for others, these side effects are more prevalent and interfere with day to day life for more than others.  

I spent the first 4 months with this wondering what the heck was wrong with me, weight gain - despite following WW, acne, discomfort, extremely long periods and despite saying this to my G.P she refused to see a connection between this and the Coil even though she was aware of my medical history etc.  She didnt even want to address it when my weight gain became such that it became a health scare.  Why, I dont know.  In retrospect, when I initially talked to her about different forms of birth control she wanted me to have the Mirena and was very knowledgeable about it but she was very vague about any details to do with the Copper IUD and whenever I asked questions about it such as weight gain and spots she kept saying 'its rare but some women can, some women do' etc.  

In the end, I had to book an appt with a nurse who extracted it and said that she uses copper coins for gardening to deter weeds!  She was not at all surprised that I wanted it taken out.  

The issues you state people should consider are in my opinion, questions that Dr's should consider before inserting any IUD/IUS.  

I wonder why so many people on here are on a quest to disprove those that feel that they have been affected by the IUD?  

We none of us are medical practitioners and even those of them that are in this field are unable to accurately ascertain how different people will react to these things.  
Its been three months since removal of  IUD. I was wondering how long do copper ions stay in the uterus and how do you get rid of it, like is there special food one should eat or medicine to use to neutralise the uterus??
I have had the Copper IUD for 3 yrs now. When I first got it put in it was REALLY Bad.. When I got my period my stomach would blow up.  Heat just made it worse and it wasnt low like you would think. It was higher up.  I would get sick to my stomach right before my period and the cramps were amazingly bad.  I can take pain and this was Unbielevable. That went on for a year or so.  Now I dont get sick to my stomach and the cramps are better but I keep getting Vaginal infections and the smell is BAD just after my period. It doesnt matter what I do it keeps coming back.. Mood swings and I forget things all the time.  I am getting my IUD out today.  I am sooooo Happy. I have read all these posts and it brings everything to light...Now I wonder why I put up with all the symptoms for so long.

If you are thinking about getting an IUD just read up on it and everyone is different.  I have friends that dont have nearly the problems that I did.

I had an IUD put in in the year 2006. I had for 3 years and I removed it 4 months before its due. I was slightly lucky in the sense that whatever side effects I felt in that 3 years it was not so bad. My periods became very heavy and I started cramping but not majorly.
But what I noticed is that it took me almost 3 years to notice the eroding of my health that has been taking place slowly but surely.

I had become very tired, depressed, lacking in sexual drive, losing hair, had bad acne, developed astig, gained weight and was not myself at all.

Like myself I am sure there are thousands of women who actually experience the side effects of the IUD, but they are not aware of it. They probably thinking that all the symptoms are caused by lifestyle.
This is because there is nothing linking it directly and the time period it takes to happen we can pin it down.

If women with IUDs start to journal from the time they put it on then they will be aware of what is happening to them. However I believe the IUD does not affect everyone. There is a small group of women who do not experience any problems. Well they are the lucky ones.

ON the other hand, the unlucky ones like me suffer a long term cause and it might even claim our marriage and relationships. Some women are willing to live with the side effects as long as they dont get pregnant but they should re think whether their overall health is worth throwing away to avoid pregnancy. Not wanting to get pregnant is a two way decision and both the man and woman should be responsible for it,not only the woman. While the man refuses to do anything but gain only the pleasure, the woman goes out and puts her whole self at risk to keep him happy. I dont think it is a fair deal.

Anyway, I let my guard down and got myself an IUD again in June this year. In the first month itself I got terrible side effects like acid reflux, headache, bad cramps, nausea, bloating, and water retention.

I waited for two months but went and got it out this week. My gynae does not want to believe me when i say I am experiencing all these symptoms only after the IUD. She keeps assuring me it is something else because the IUD does not release any hormones.

I think the doctors should listen to thousands of women telling them that something is wrong with the IUD, whether it releases hormones or not. We as the ones having it inside ourselves, know when something feels right or wrong. These doctors cant assume they know everything just because by theory and a few tested women they feel its all right. We are not lab rats. We are individual women with different lifestyle and make up. We cant all fit one size or int his case gadget.

So I think it is time the doctors looked into this matter more seriously and only prescribe the IUD to those who can have it without side effects. They should also monitor closely the changes in physical matters to determine the problems. Instead of just dissing them!

So those women out there with problems please take it seriously and do somehthng about it before it is too late, and those with no problems, KUDOS to you!
I have had the copper IUD for almost a year and a half and am still suffering horrible side effects. My period was so heavy the 1st year that I had to use super plus tampons and wear overnight pads if I went out in public. I have always had bad cramps with my cycle, however the cramps I have now are unbearable. I not only cramp during my cycle, but also during ovulation now. Over the past couple of months I have had the thick clear/white mucus like discharge. I think I am ready to have the IUD taken out and would not reccomend it to others. People always told me I need to give it time for my body to adjust, but after a year a half I don't think there is going to be any adjusting.
OMG!!!! im am sooo happy to finally see that i am not the only one!!!
i have had the copper IUD for about 7 months now and my systoms are
-poor sex drive
-anxiety
-depressed for no reason
-heavy bleeding 12 day period and spotting between periods
-disgusting odor following period for about 5 days
-bacteria infection
-discomfort during sex
my fiance and i have been having problems because he feels i am not attracted to him or even love him anymore because of all these side affects. i have a doctors appointment first thing tomorrow morning to have it removed and am sooo glad that im not the only one who has had this horrible experience. good luck ladies!
I have had a copper IUD for 3-4 cycles now. I chose it because it did not have hormones, but my last 3 cycles have been the worst of my life. I never noticed my PMS previously. But I have been a crazy person while on my period since it was inserted. The difference is remarkable. I have spoken to my nurse and she was convinced the copper IUD couldn't affect me emotionally. I'm not so sure.

Also, I have had heavy bleeding for 10-11 days, and spotting as well. But this seems to be expected. I haven't lost interest in sex and haven't experienced depression, other than the extreme mood swings during my period.
I have had my IUD for 3 years now and having it removed this next Thursday. 9/16/10.  I have been debating this for the last year on whether or not to remove it and finally decided that my life is worth doing a test.

I have had backaches, headaches, anxiety, mood swings, depressed becuase of how i feel, bacterial vaginosis, reoccuring discharge, strong odor around the time I would normally have a period. I wake up in the mornings with a flat tummy and after being awake for a little while I look 4 to 5 months pregnant. I feel this heaviness in my lower abdomen like I'm carrying around 100 extra pounds and tired. I'm always tired.  I can't lose any weight no matter what i do.  energy? I have none. Sex? what is that?

The last 3 years I've ingored it, denied it when my husband tells me I'm moody and awful.....I've had no patience with him or my kids....and I know me well enough to know that isn't me.....I will fly off the handle quickly then think "what the h***"  it makes me stop and think when I do that as in 'what made me go off like that?"  My life since child #2 has been a train wreck.  I did not have an IUD after having my first one and had none of these experiences as I have now.

and yes I have said to myself or asked myself "Am I going crazy?"  Each of us know deep down inside when something just isn't quiet right even if we don't fully understand at that moment what it is.  I'm searched every possibly of what it could be...and I've been to several doctors and gastro docs to find out what's going on and they all tell me everything is fine.

The only reason I have not taken this out sooner was the fear of getting pregnant again.  yes, some of you that are new to this won't even realize the changes that will start to take place. I didn't.  I just blamed it on other things, and no the OBGYN is not going to tell you about all the side effects or the number of post he/she may have seen online themselves about it.

we reached out to get this  "little monster" to give us peace of mind when needing birth control, and instead we get this alien invader that starts to slowly morph us into something else.  I'm a real ***** lately and I just want to have the old me back, if the end result is another child then so be it.  I will post back and let you guys know the results and the changes I'm sure I'll start to see in getting back to the old me.

Best wishes to all of you out there. We only get one life to live and I don't want to live mine this way anymore.  

Trisha
I wrote here earlier about side effects of my copper IUD. I had it removed in June. I noticed immediately that I had more energy, not waking up tired every morning any more, and my orgasms are definitely stronger.

Now I just wonder why it took me over two years to notice that I wasn't feeling well. My condition changed for the worse so slowly I didn't notice what was happening.

Now we have been using condoms, and I just wonder what's the big deal with them? I takes only couple of seconds to put on one, instead of a woman feeling not good all the time because of some kind of contraception.

The difference is so great, that I'm a little angry at myself not changing our method of contraception earlier. Now I can at least make a difference in my well being, that was not possible with copper iud, how much I even tried.

~ Lisbeth
I have had it for only 2 months and have no kids. I am also feeling no interest in sex. I feel depressed as well. I get very bad cramps all the time. but i dont think its kids because i dont have any and feel the same.
I wish I would have read these before I got the Iud. I have never felt depressed until now. I don't want anything to do with sex or any type of affection. My orgasms are not even close to how they use to be. It is coming out as soon as possible
I considered for a minute to have an IUD, but after reading all this I think it's actually not a good benefit after all.
I have endometriosis  and some internal bleeding that has cause scar tissue in my uterus and other areas. I took the pill very young but only for 6 mths and it cause me a lot of hormonal problems. After that depression and all the menopause effects came! So I do not take in consideration anything that has to do with hormones!
Why do we women always have to be the ones that suffer after having a child.
I did have severe cramps before having my 1st child but after that nothing bother's me anymore! I'm so happy not having to deal with pain every single month, and now after reading that it causes more cramps, low sex drive, depression, etc.
I think we'll be using the rhythm!  
I am 31years old and I have had the IUD for a year and a half.  I have no children, but lost a child last year, which caused me to get the IUD.  At first it was great.  my periods were lighter and my sex drive was thru the roof.  Although I really love it more than any other birth control, the side affects are taking a toll. Now, my periods last longer, and they are heavier.  I never had cramps before the IUD and now they are so bad i can hardly move.  my sex drive has decreased significantly.  i get acne now and  i do get depressed more than before, but i am able to control it.  i was not sure if all this was the cause of the IUD, but after reading other people's experience, i am convinenced.  so, i am taking it out.
I got the IUD 10/10/08 and never thought twice about side affects. It is true that my periods are more regular (before I never had a regular period, maybe 4-5 times a year). I began experiencing horrible cramps and bloating a week before my period. Before the IUD I never experienced any of the negative things people complain about periods. Never bloated, cramped, mood swings, etc. Course, Now I have them all. I don't know if it's the IUD though. At the same time I basically had two kids in a row and then the IUD so I couldn't say if it's from kids or IUD. I was also diagnosed as Bipolar before I became pregnant and post traumatic stress disorder seems to run in my family. My sister got it pretty bad with her third child. Also, after the IUD I began working pretty hard towards my goals and thought that was why my sex drive dropped. I'm a full-time student and work full-time graveyard plus a couple overtime shifts a week. I have a just turned 3 and 2 year old. My husband is a full-time student and stay at home dad.

I am pretty sure though that the IUD is the "culprit" for the way I am before my period. I bloat about 8 pounds, my face breaks out, i get super angry, and the cramping is terrible.

I've never tried midol, i keep saying I will try it next month. I'm hoping that will help
http://www.mineralysis.com.hk/medicalnews8.html

It's excess copper in the system, try taking zinc supplements..any type of birth control, especially the copper IUD causes copper to accumulate in the body, so I would recommend to go off of it.
I have had the Multiload Copper IUD for 2 yrs now and I have noticed a number of side effects like heavy menstrual cycles, cramping, back pain and my number one concern HAIR LOSS. Apparently copper has that side effect in some women. For the last 2 yrs I have noticed my hair getting much thinner and falling out constantly. I have got blood tests done and checked my thyroid and everything came out ok so the only other logical explantion is the copper in my IUD.