Copper IUD side effects
I had a copper iud put in a little over a year ago after my second child.  I experienced the side effects I was told could happen, worse cramps and heavier bleeding.  I am fine with these because my choice for birth control is very limited because I get blood clots and cannot take the pill.  

However, I am wondering if anyone has experienced a decrease in thier sex drive becasue of it.  I am only 29 years old, married to a very wonderful and attractive man, but honestly I could care less about sex.  I have been this way ever since I had my last child, which is also when i got the iud.  I just assumed it was because I had children and was so busy with them (I have a 2 1/2 year old and one that is almost 1 1/2).  I am starting to think it could also have something to do with the iud.  

I am considering getting it removed to see if this changes anything.  If anyone has experienced anything similiar to this I would appreciate any feedback.

I have had my IUD for like 3 years and it has never caused me problems until now. I have not had my period in ten days, I rarely bleed at all when it comes. I just have big clots. My sex drive is gone and I cannot seem to have an orgasam. Also, I have had a UTI now for like 2 weeks

I've had my IUD now for just under a year and i am freaking out because i am 2 weeks late, i have pregnancy like symptomps such as tender breasts, nausea, and feeling tired all the time...i can't get a doctor's appointment for another few days but i'm stressing out now about the possibility of being pregnant...did anyone find they had these side effects including late periods??? HELP!!!
Hi everyone, I have been on IUD for over 3 years and have experienced heavier periods and unberable cramps.

However, even worse, I have just heard from a few ladies that IUD can cause ectopic pregnancy.I am soon going to get my IUD removed.

As for sex drive, I think it comes from having a child rather than from IUD as I have never lost my sex drive since I had IUD.

Biologically, sex is for reproduction. Once a woman has a baby, the purpose of having sex is finished. So off course, we should/could feel less like having sex.

It could also be caused by not being with the right man. I have been in a relationship with a man for 1.5 years and a few months ago, I realised that he was not the right man. Not long after that, I stopped enjoying having sex with him. So I stopped having sex with him.
I've had my copper IUD in for about 4 months--I've always been ridiculously skinny, but I've started to get a really weird "spare tire" that I can't seem to get rid of. I attributed to getting older (though I've only just turned 24) and started running 6 miles a day and nothing helps. On top of that I've started to get crippling anxiety, and although I am the happiest that I have ever been in my life, I find myself insanely depressed. I need to get this IUD out! Thanks for sharing all of your stories, I wouldn't have put the pieces together without them.
im getting my iud out to day (YOOOOO ) hate this thing in side me im havin al these problems but the thing that bugs the hell outa me i have a real bad oder (down below) an cant let me hubby of 10 yrs near me as im inbarresed no matter hi many tym i wash its ther, i kept putting of geting it out as i dnt want any more kids but jus cant cope the it geting me down an gaining weight ,,,,,,,,,,,,DRIVES ME UP THE WALLS  
i have the cooper IUD for 7 years and it works beautifully. I'm 29 yrs old with 3 children. my cramps hurt more i bleed alittle longer but it's work not pushing out no 7pd baby.
I've only had the copper IUD for 2 weeks now..and already i'm beginning to worry. Since the day of insertion i haven't stopped bleeding..and its ALOT of bleeding. i was previously on the depo for 1.5 years and therefore i am not used to having such intense periods. The cramping is unbearable and lately i have been depressed...a bit suicidal...and my best friend and i have had our first real fight due to these depressed feelings (if that has anything to do with the IUD). The doctor was worried about the placement of the IUD so i have an ultrasound scheduled in 2 weeks..i dont know if its even worth waiting that long with some of the stories i've read on here. All i've heard is bad news..is there any positive outcomes (other than not getting pregnant) that i can maybe look forward to? otherwise i'm getting this thing out and i'll have spent 160 bucks for nothing. The doctor said no side effects other than heavier bleeding, cramping, and longer periods..she never mentioned anything about depression. I thought that was the point of having copper instead of hormones..it wouldn't cause stuff like that! AND I've only had it for 2 weeks!
I am 32yr old and had the copper IUD for 3 days.  It seems unbearable.  Doc told me to take 4 Advil every 6 hours and come back in 2 weeks.  Before the six hours is up I can bearly walk from the cramps.  Not sure I can handle this.  From all your comments only seems like it gets worse.  I think I am going to get it removed and take my husband up on his offer to get himself fixed.  It just does not seem natural and it *****!  Best of luck to you all (and myself).
To everyone with a copper iud. I have to say that i have had this for 4 years now and i was always a healty weight of 120 pounds even after having my son. And healthy in general since getting the iud i've noticed worse allergies and i get sick more often, and i have not changed my diet and i excercise regularly also i've had skin rashes. I recently looked up some info on excess levels of copper and the effects it has on your body and i now believe that the iud is the cause of my immune system being compromised along with other side effects. It was the only thing that changed and i don't know how i didnt put it together before! Your body is in perfect balance with the certain elements it needs and when you throw an added unnatural element in that throws the whole balance off! hence the yeast infectons and bacterial infections.  I must add i had NEVER had either before getting an iud, and the first year i got them all the time...I urge you to research copper toxicity and get your iud removed..As i am going to as soon as possible! Although i dont know what i will use for birth control after since i do not want to have any more children at the moment. But also my health and wellbeing is most important at the moment.  here is a link to excess amounts of copper.....http://www.arltma.com/CopperToxDoc.htm
I am 37 years old and I had IUD (COPPER) jun 7 2009 ,and i am having  problam trable of hart beet from last month,if some one having a same proble.
i am 32 w/ 2 kids after 2 months of my delivery i have a copper iud inserted. few weeks i expereince severe lower back pain the following month i had my period very heavy which my Dr. told me its normal but my problem after 2months i expereince severe abdominal pain in my upper right quadrant are anyone of you expereince this after iud insertion? is iud can cause liver damage please let me know coz i'm planning to take out my iud as soon as possible. what family planning is best i dont want yet to pregnant again.
Today is my 2 weeks after my iud insertion. When I had my insertion done, I was on my 5th day menstrual period. Right after that my menses prolong and it hasnt stop till now. I am prepared because the gynae has told me that I may have heavier bleeding and cramps. But I dont suffer cramps but yes a little heavier menses.
Few hours after my insertion of IUD, I immediately had sex. My partner seems dont mind with the bleeding and we have it almost everyday. I am glad that our sex life is normal despite my prolong menses and its definitely worth sacrifice to this iud insertion and main concern is to those unwanted pregnancies.
So far I have not experienced low sex drive, gain weight or mood swings.
For those women out there, hope its just stress that these changes occur!
Ladies, thank you so much for sharing your stories!  It's great to know  I am not alone in this!

My copper IUD was inserted almost three years ago after bad reactions to hormonal birth control.  The first few months were not easy.  Adjusting to the feeling (it seemed like I could always feel it) and the heavier bleeding was rough, though my cycles are now like clockwork.  I have also experienced a HUGE decrease in ex drive (age 27 with no kids).  I have developed some acne, and always feel lethargic.

Here's the strangest part, though.  Shortly after the IUD insertion, I started getting hives regularly, and developed several food issues-  including gluten, lactose and mild nut allergies.  Because of this I've actually lost 35 lbs, but that's due to a severely limited diet.  Has anyone else experienced what could be considered an autoimmune reaction to their IUD?

I'm making an appointment tomorrow to talk to my doctor about the copper issues described above.  

Once again, thanks for sharing!
Had my copper IUD removed two days ago in order to get pregnant again.  No pain during removal - just like a pap exam.  Slight spotting afterwards.  However, I'll never use it again.  I thought my low sex drive was just me but perhaps there is a connection there based on the large volume of reports here.  The piece of advice I'd give women is try NFP - it takes time but extremely effective when used properly.  No hormones, chemicals or foreign objects messing with our bodies.  That's our plan for the future after God hopefully blesses us with another healthy child.  Good luck to you all.
dear regina, please advise what is NFP? i am also experiencing problems with my IUD (copper) after 8 months and thinking about getting it removed......yet the whole reason for using this device for contraception was so i did not need to use artificial hormones, something i wish to avoid. i would much appreciate any information or leads to information. Regards.
I have been using an IUD since 1997 (had it changed about 3 times during that time.  In 2006 I had part of my cervex removed due to abnormal cells and then had my IUD re-inserted a few weeks later.

At the beginning of this year I had my IUD removed due to several reoccuring infections.  I have been on no contraception since then. However, I have never fallen pregnant.  Also, I have only been a regular 28 day cycle on about 2 occasions since the removal.  Most of the time I have been overdue anywhere fro 2 - 13 days overdue.

What is the reason as I used to be like clockwork before the IUD and during?

Ive done pregancy tests last week and says negative.
I've heard that all the side effects everyone is talking about can be caused after you have a child too.  Having a baby severely upsets your hormones natural balance.  Naturally a mother's sex drive can go down and there is a high chance that the depression is postpartum.  If you have had the IUD inserted right after you have had a baby, you could easily mistake certain 'side-effects' for what the body is naturally going through.
This is sooo confusing and it feels like a coin toss at the end of the day! Cause some are happy some are very unhappy but i guess the unhappy would report more often than the Happy ones! So how many are happy and how many arent? Mystery?
Ally
Wow, i didnt know that anybody had the same side affects as me!!! Lets see ive had it in a year... and i feel sick and tired and moody all the time!! The only great thing about it is that i havent gotten pregnant. I have a 2 year old and at times i just cant handle dealing with someone else exspeacially when im on my period or about to start. Before i got the iud i dont really remember being sick or feeling tired or just unmotivatied. My sex drive has not gone down, but there are certain positions i can not do.. I have to take iron pills when im on my cycle.I feel like everytime im on my period, its like im losing as much blood as i did when i gave birth. My migraines are so bed im in bed for days. I always tell the doctor that when i have sex i can feel it polk my pelvis... but she says it not possiable.. But honestly after reading all these comments i am definatly taking it out. Im tired of feeling like **** all the time. I have no motivation and my mood swings are really bad. I feel like i hate everyone and everything when its that time of the month..
I had the most AGONIZING cramps with the copper IUD. I never got cramps before, and I haven't had them since. They were so terrible. But the worst part was, the IUD destroyed my vagina's bacteria, so I had a yeast infection for EIGHT months. Countless prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines, douching, etc. didn't work. I got the damned IUD out and the infection cleared up on its own a week later. Try other options, cuz I don't think that much copper is good for us.