Depo Provera Withdrawals
I am wondering if any one else is going through Depo Provera withdrawals? I was on it for 9 years and recently me and my husband decided to go off of it since we knew that this form of birth control can take up to 18 months if you are ttc. i was due for my shot in April and when the time came I went to my doctor to discuss getting off of it and the possible side effect or problems that I might encounter. He basically assured me that nothing will happen because I did so well while I was on it.*only had mild side effects while on it but was great.
Well I was ok until 3 months later, when I believe that's when it started to leave my system. I went to bed completely fine, in fact i was on vacation and was out to dinner the previous night, and I woke up to throwing my so bad. I just assumed maybe that it was the dinner we ate or some bug so I treated it as such. Well 6 days later I still didn't really feel that great, so I went to the doctor, he gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way. Well a week later I still didn't have an apatite, could tell something was wrong, so I went back to the doctor and asked him if he was sure this wasn't anything to do with my depo, he told me no, and said that he wanted me to go to a GI doctor. Well after a month and a half of just about every test under the sun, blood work, endoscopy, ultrasound, cat scan, brain scan, gastric emptying study and about 8 different medications to treat everything from acid reflex to gastropersis, EVERYTHING came back normal, doctors keep looking at me like they had no idea because everything looks great, but I feel like crap. By this stage {almost 2 months later) I was waking up every day nauseated, some days better than others, but have lost a total of 20 lbs, no appetite, really gassy in the mornings, and had to sit for hours before I would start to even feel a little better, missed almost a whole month of work because of the nausea. I finally told my GI doctor that I wanted to see a specialist in a major hospital around my area. When I saw him he said well we have done just about every test we do and everything is ok, are you on any birth control? I started crying and laughing at the same time, I explained my story about coming off of depo from 9 years and he said this was defiantly withdrawals from it, he even called in 2 other GI doctors that we there at the time and they all agreed. I couldn't believe it, really??? And no other doctor that I saw even gave it a second thought because "no one else has ever told them of these symptoms". I then went to a OBGYN and she said this is withdrawals from my depo also and since there has not been that many studies done on women who took it for as long as I have she doesnt really know what to tell me to do but just ride it out, so now 3 months later, I still am waking up with this weird feeling in my stomach every morning, but it has been going away within about an hour, but still ***** waking up at 5 am every morning with this, and my apatite is still a little messed up but getting better. and it seems to get better every week so I'm hoping here soon it will go away soon.
I have gotten some bleeding also, in May it was only a day, June it was 3 days, July it was 5 days, and then in August it was 6 days and then after a week it came back for another week and then in September I didn't have anything so I am hoping it comes back sort of normal this month.
So sorry for the long story but just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this with coming off of depo? Or any other bad stories of coming off of any other birth control?
sounds like after to got my 3rd injection of the depo shot... which i got in feb and i still feel like crap......... i wish this shot was out my system