Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Does missing the pill cause periods to be light and short?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

I often miss a few pills a month. It has never really effected me. Periods still come on time and usually last around 5 days and can get reasonably heavy.

However, this month I missed the last active pill (along with a few more at the begining of the month) and took it the day after (the day that should have been the first day of the placebo pills) and so my period came a day later than usual and lasted only 1 and a half days.

The first day it was very light and didn't even fill up a tampon. The second day I used a pad but it had gone totally by midday. Then a day later it came back again, just a little spotting. It is now a week after it started and I have been getting very mild cramps, like I get around ovulation (which isn't for a week).

Could a light period be a result of missing pills? I know the pill in general can make periods lighter, but this has never been the case for me before and since I have missed some does it still make it light?

I hope someone can answer me :)
Thank you
Regardless of which active pills you skip or miss, there is a danger of pregnancy.  

You should take a pregnancy test, preferably a sensitive one, using a first morning urine and following the directions.  If it is negative, repeat it in a week.

It could be a light period, or you could be pregnant.  I can't say which, and no one else can, either.  

Be sure to start putting your pill pack where you see it every day.  Some ladies rubber band it to their toothbrush, or deodorant bottle, or something they use every day.  

Missing pills frequently could likely result in an unintended pregnancy.  
Well said Peek!
Thanks peek. Yes I was aware of missing pills causing pregnancy. I certainly don't feel pregnant and that is why I was wondering if a light period is just a result of the pill and messing up my cycle. Or if not, then I would consider getting a test just to be sure. Thanks for your help.