Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Had a normal period, a week after it stopped began to bleed heavily

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

i thought i was pregnant but i was stressed out and my period started two days late. it lasted for five days and was normal. when my period ends i usually start on the active pills in my pack the next day. i was hoping to push my period back a few days for next month so i did not start my new pack right away. so my period ended i had unprotected sex the next day, then the day after i had a small amount of spotting then two days nothing at all then the next day a tiny bit of spotting then the next day i woke up (today) in a puddle of blood and have been bleeding heavily all day today. I took the first active pill of my new pack in hopes that it would trigger my period to stop, however; that was this morning and i am still heavily bleeding
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
There can be several causes of vaginal bleeding other than periods. Implantation bleeding, hormonal fluctuations, low thyroid levels, undiagnosed vaginal infections, medications, malignant cancers etc are common causes. Pelvic infections, cervical polyps, cervical erosions can cause bleeding after sex.You will need a clinical examination and blood tests to check thyroid and ovarian function, cervical biopsy, pap smear and pelvic ultrasound .Consult a gynecologist. Keep me posted.
Best wishes and luck!