Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Had a normal period, a week after it stopped began to bleed heavily

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

i thought i was pregnant but i was stressed out and my period started two days late. it lasted for five days and was normal. when my period ends i usually start on the active pills in my pack the next day. i was hoping to push my period back a few days for next month so i did not start my new pack right away. so my period ended i had unprotected sex the next day, then the day after i had a small amount of spotting then two days nothing at all then the next day a tiny bit of spotting then the next day i woke up (today) in a puddle of blood and have been bleeding heavily all day today. I took the first active pill of my new pack in hopes that it would trigger my period to stop, however; that was this morning and i am still heavily bleeding. is this because i did not start my new pack of birth control right after my period ended?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
It may be difficult to confirm the exact cause of your symptoms without a complete medical evaluation. There can be many causes of bleeding other than your menses. The common causes are hormonal imbalances, pelvic inflammatory diseases, low thyroid levels, undiagnosed vaginal infections, cervical polyps; malignancies etc.You should see a gynecologist. A clinical examination and tests like thyroid tests, pelvic scan and hormonal assay may be helpful in determining the cause of your symptoms. Treatment will be specific based on the cause. I hope it helps.
Take care and regards!