Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
How does an ONGYN visit change with sex?
About This Forum:

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How does an ONGYN visit change with sex?

I'm 18 and I'm currently on birth control for heavy and irregular periods. However, I recently started having sex with my boyfriend. So my question is, how will the ONGYN visit change if I say I am sexually active? Will it change enough to tip off my parents?
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that since you are 18 and no longer need parental consent, your parents can't have access to your records unless you give permission.  Your doctor can't speak with your parents without your consent. If you are planning on taking mom along, though, the good news is that you don't need a pap until you are 21, and unless I am doing a pap, I can't tell if someone has been active or not.
IDEALLY you could mention to your doc that you are active so that the two of you can discuss testing for STIs etc, but it is not necessary to mention something you are not comfortable saying in the presence of others.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank