Birth Control (Contraception) Community
I need help from a pill expert!!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I need help from a pill expert!!

Anyone out there who knows a lot about how different birth control pills work?
Here's what I'm dying to find out:
1. I thought the estrogen and estrogen alone is what caused fluid retention, but now I'm reading (in reputable places) that depending on what kind of progestin it is it can cause bloating too?  What side effects are from the estrogen and what side effects are from the progestin?
2. I was on Tri Sprintec, which is norgestimate and the level increases each week from .18 to .215 to .25.  I did okay with this for about 12 years, and then I got off the pill for a while.  My skin started getting very oily, so I went back on, but my gyn switched me to regular monophasic Sprintec to see if it would work better for me.  It has the same amount of norgestimate each week, .25.  
Overall it's not a huge increase in the total amount of progestin, but I'm at the end of my second pack and I'm seeing huge differences in how my body responds.  I'm having mood swings and depression, which I NEVER had before, and I'm so insanely tired.  
In the grand scheme of things Sprintec is still a pretty low progestin pill, and it's only a little more than I used to get in Tri Sprintec.  Could I just be hypersensitive to progestational effects, and therefore even a slight increase in progestin is causing me side effects?  

Thanks for any help!