Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
I want a baby

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

I want a baby

I started taking birth control pill back of May 2012, and just stopped a week ago.  Being only 2 month of the pills to help with my period being out of control, and to help with finding out when I have ovulation. When I went off the pill I did talk to two different nurses, one was telling me I wouldn't have to wait long to get pregnant, and other telling me would take up to 3 months to get pregnant! Honestly I m super worried, and stressed out I will have to wait a long while to get pregnant!  My wife, and I we are going back to the states to meet up with a friend who is going to help out with getting us pregnant.  So I hoping to get the right facts before we leave!  I m only going to be down for 3 months to visit. Hoping we can conceive in that amount of time.  Please I really need the help to know how long after stopping the pill when will I ovulate?  I had a normal period from aug 13 to 19, and I m back on my period again! Second started from aug 23 to date. One of the nurses said it might be my thyroid acting up.  I plan to go next week to get it check out. just to be on the safe side. I really want to start a family. Hope to hear back from you.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that most women will have a menstrual period within 4-6 weeks after stopping the pill.  At that point you can begin testing for ovulation (use the first day of that period as the first day of your cycle). We often tell women to wait for three months after stopping the pill before trying to conceive, but there is no medical reason for that, and therefore no need to wait.
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you very much!! Really put some worries to rest :)