Birth Control (Contraception) Community
I want to stop using Nuvaring

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

I want to stop using Nuvaring

Hello Doctor
I've been on Nuvaring for 10 months. And lately I have been feeling all strange and awful, so I've decided that I will end my relationship with my nuvaring. I was due to take it out yesterday, Wednesday 16 at 8pm. I'm suppose to reínsert it on Wednesday 23 but Ive decided that I won't anymore. However, yesterday I tired having sex with my boyfriend but sex has become so painful and my libido is extremely low because of nuvaring so it ended up being a disaster,that we immediately stopped because I was in too much pain. He did not ejaculate in me. But I'm afraid that I wasn't suppose to even try having unprotected sex, even if it only lasted 2 minutes because of the intense pain.  I do not want to get pregnant, so is there a possibility of precum and maybe getting pregnant right away if I decide to stop using the nuvaring? Or will I be fine, I know I will have to start using condoms immediately after the 7 day break but should I be worried that all of this could cause me to become pregnant after stopping the ring?
Can I go ahead and stop nuvaring, because I really want to feeling like myself again.

Thank you.
Chances of pregnancy with precum are very very less. If you are apprehensive regarding the status of pregnancy then the status of pregnancy needs to be made clear. To confirm the status of pregnancy, I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. If pregnancy status is clear then you can switch to birth control pills. But ensure to have protected intercourse with condoms till you start with a birth control.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.