Birth Control (Contraception) Community
IUD strings??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

IUD strings??

Hi there, I just got my IUD in today and I cant seem to find the strings. About 3 hours after I felt for them and I did find them but now its about 8 hours later, and I cant seem to feel them. I am 20 years old and 6months post partum. I'm pretty sore and swollen so I'm wondering if that might be why or is it something I should worry about or get checked out right away? Is this normal??

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
If you are not able to feel your IUD strings it may be best to contact your doctor. She can visualise it with a per speculum examination. It may be possible that the IUD is in situ, but the strings are curled and have retracted into the endocervical canal or uterine cavity, or they are broken. If it is not located clinically an ultrasound may be done to locate its position. Do not be worried. Discuss your doubts with your doctor. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!