Birth Control (Contraception) Community
If I dont get my period while taking the pill, is it still effective

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

I am currently taking LoLoestrin and its my 4th month on it.  My doctor said its the lowest dose of hormones, so thats why I figured Im not getting my period (and quite happy about it).  But I am sexually active with my boyfriend of a year and was wondering if I dont get my period while taking the birth control, if it is still an affective form of contraception.
The low dose would not explain the absence of your period.  Are you taking the inactive/placebo/sugar pill week in between each pack or are you taking active pills straight through with no break?  If you're doing the latter, that's why you're not having your period, and yes, it is effective.  If you're not, I'd be a little concerned.

Did you have unprotected sex during your first month of pills?  Have you missed more than the recommended amount without using back-up protection?  Either one could lead to a little thing called pregnancy.  Depending on the pill, you may need to also take it at the same time every day to have it be effective.

If you are taking active pills straight through for four months without the placebo pills, again, that is the reason for your lack of a period.

If you are not taking the birth control in the fashion I mentioned earlier (active pills for four month straight with no placebo pills), then I'd take a pregnancy test, and if you don't get a positive result, schedule a doctor's appointment to find out why you're not having it.