Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Implanon and Estradiol

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Implanon and Estradiol

I have had the Implanon implant for 7 months.  Starting last month I began spotting every day.  I contacted my doctor who gave me Estradiol 2mg pills for 14 days.  He said that it would stop the spotting.  I stopped spotting for 3 days and then started right back up again.  I have one more Estradiol pill left.  I have an appointment with him Tuesday to see how I am doing.  
Obviously the bleeding hasn't stopped and as far as I know there is nothing else they can give me to stop the spotting.  I am going to ask to have the Implanon removed if that is the case.  

My question is what is a good birth control?  I have only ever been on the mini pill when breastfeeding, Implanon, and about 2 weeks of Lo Loestrin Fe which made me moody and very bloated.

I need something that has little side effects and is good for women who were diagnosed with PCOS.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would encourage you to consider an IUD for birth control.  The Mirena can be a very convenient and effective method.  If you want a regular cycle though, oral contraceptives are probably your best bet.  You probably need to give then a fair try (two to three MONTHS) if you are going to use them.
There will be some type of side effect with each method, so, you will have to consider which is going to be most tolerable for you.
Good luck!
Dr B
I am going to schedule to have the Implanon removed.  I had considered both of the IUD's and am not comfortable with the idea.

I have family history of breast cancer and ovarian cancer so birth control with high estrogen really isn't an option for me either.  

I will probably end up on birth control pills because my doctor doesn't recommend the mini pill which I loved when I was breastfeeding.