Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Implanon and Spotting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Implanon and Spotting

I have had the Implanon rod in for over 2 years now and I've only had light spotting twice during that time. About a month ago I started spotting again and it has continued for over 3 weeks now and gotten slightly heavier.
I have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks but I was just wondering if anyone else has experience something similar? I've heard that changes after 2 years can be because the implant is becoming less effective.
This spotting that you are having can be due to hormonal imbalance. Other causes can be hormonal imbalance(can be due to PCOS),hypothyroidism,cigarette smoking or underlying Chlamydia infection while on birth control,ectopic pregnancy. You should get it evaluated from your doctor and start with the treatment.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you very much for you advice and information. The spotting and stopped about 4days after this post but I visited the doctor anyway and he didn't do any tests or investigation really he just prescribed a progesterone pill to take to see if it improves. My breasts have been hurting the last 2 weeks with darkening and red nipples so he is hoping the pill will balance out my hormones. A dosage of half a pill everyday for a week, if no improvement then up to a full pill then further investigation if it doesn't improve. So far its the same.
If you have any other suggestions or advice I'm all ears.