Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Intentionally skipped periods using birth control

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Hi !
I've been using levelen Ed birth control tablets for a couple of years now and I've skipped periods before with no problem.
However this time round I have break through bleeding which is normal, like brown discharge stuff.
But it has intensified to a proper period which has now lasted nearly 3 weeks.
What is happening/what should I do ?
Thanks !!!
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
It is ok to skip the pills occasionally for convenience. It is best to talk to your health care provider about the real risks and benefits of skipping placebos or shortening the pill-free interval. It is possible that you are having hormonal fluctuations resulting in heavy bleeding. Heavy bleeding can result in weakness, anemia so it is best to see your gynecologist about it. She may start you on hormones to control bleeding and iron supplements. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and take care!