Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Irritable Bowel Disease/Syndrome and birth control effectiveness?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Hello, my g/f has described symptoms that sound like Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Irritable Bowel Disease.

She has more the constipation that the diarrhea.

Does it all matter if her colon is irritated for it to be Irritable Bowel Disease vs Syndrome?

And if she has IBD vs IBS will it make her birth control less effective due to absorption. I ask because she doesn't have diarrhea really and is a little overweight, so maybe it isn't Irritable Bowel Disease.

But is the major thing to see if her colon is irritated whether or not she has diarrhea or not?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Hormone imbalances, hormone replacement therapy, psychological stress or birth control pills all can act as triggering factors for IBS. It may be possible that since most oral contraceptives are being absorbed at the level of the stomach it would not be affected by IBS diarrhea since IBS is a disorder of the large intestine. If a person is suffering from chronic diarrhea due to IBS it is suggested to discuss it with your gynecologist and clarify your concerns with her about the most suitable birth control method for you.I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!