Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Losing my libido while on the implanon?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Losing my libido while on the implanon?

I'm 19 and up until now I have had a pretty good sex drive. I used to want my boyfriend just about every day, and now my sex drive is just...gone. I've also had problems with lubrication. I've only had the implanon for 3 months and I would hate to take it out because it is kind  of costly, and I also kind of love it because I haven't had one period since they inserted it. Is there any kind of alternative that anybody can think of?
Thanks for your help!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Every birth control method has few side effects. Mood changes, nausea, weight gain, menstrual cramps, vaginal itching, low sex drive are few of its side effects. These effects are usually common in the first few months of using implanon. Usually there is no physical disorder that causes lack of lubrication in a young woman. A positive attitude and communication with your partner can help. If the problem is severe seeking the opinion of a gynecologist will be helpful. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!