Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Lost Libido and Implanon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Lost Libido and Implanon

I am a 28 year old engaged mom of two, with a huge problem.  I have lost my libido, I have no interest in sex most times.  Some days I might get a fleeting time of arousal but more times than not, I'm just not in the mood.  This is a recent problem, I would say only starting after the insertion of my implanon. The only other change that has happened is that my fiance and I have moved in together.  I don't know what to do, I consulted my doctor and didn't get any answers there. This issue has been causing fights between us, he doesn't seem to understand that it is not my lack of attraction to him, it's just how I feel.  His thinking is that if I do love him, I should want to have sex as a way for us to be closer and nothing should make me not feel that way.  He's starting to believe that it's him, and no matter how much I tell him it's not, it does no good.

My first question is, whether or not anyone else has gone through or noticed this after getting implanon?  Second question, could it really be the implanon ( as in has it been documented to cause loss of libido)?  And third is if I get it removed, how long should I give it before things kind of go back to normal?  Like I said, we hadn't had an issue before with this.  In fact it took very little to turn me on... Sorry if TMI.  I'm just tired of the fighting, but I don't want to be unrealistic when it comes to getting this thing removed...  

The other side effects I can live with, but this one is making my life hell literally!!
Yes it could be the implanon. One of the side effects a lower sexdrive. The implanon reduces free testosteron levels in your blood due to higher SHBG levels. This causes a number of side effects more. Like moodswings, chronical fatigue, headage and more. After taking it out your body has to restore normal hormone levels, but that takes a while. There are even studies that suggest your body would not even recover after taking it out. This is a major problem with hormonal anticonception.
I have the EXACT same problem as jjsangel! I went from having sex 5-6 times a week to maybe 2-3 times a month!  It's horrible and I am only 24! I have two kids and we didn't want another one for a while and my Dr said this would be a great thing, and at first it was, but now it is causing some serious relationship issues, and I no longer think it is worth it. Do I have the right to get it out asap, or do I have to wait another year before the 3 years is up?
@nkuhns Nope, it can come out whenever, I'm getting mine removed next Tuesday.
Hormonal birth control (especially ones like implanon) have around a 60% chance of you losing your libido completely or at the very least a little.  The doctor probably didn't tell you that, did they?  They usually don't.  GET THAT THING OUT OF YOU.  Once those hormones are out of your system it should only be 4-8 months before your body goes back to normal and you get your sex drive back.  Although just to warn you, it might have affected you long term and even after taking it out your body may not adjust back to how it was before.
Of course they didn't tell me that the way this thing works is that it makes the mere thought of sex revolting, so much so, that you won't want your partner to touch you and they would want to break up with you...lol  It's out Tuesday and I'm not going back on anything with hormones....

***** a whole lot.... 4-8 months?  Geesh
I have lost all sex drive, to the point where i don't even want my boyfriend to touch me.. I love him to death and couldnt figure out why i was feeling like this...  In discussing this with my girlfriend pointed out the fact that it might be my implanon... I never even gave that a thought!  So i did some reasearch and found several message boards similar to this!!!  

Has anyone else had theirs removed and recovered from this?  Does your sex drive return?

and is there anything i can do / take to help this along?
I have an appointment to take mine out tomorrow.  I  can let you know... I'm (and he's) hoping that it doesn't take long.  wish me luck!
I am only 19 years old and i have used implanon for more than a year now, i have also been experiencing a very large decrease in my sex drive. This is very scary especially when i should be at my peak. I have had no sexual problems before but since using implanon i have a problem getting aroused and vaginally lubricated. I have also been suffering from headaches and extreme fatigue. I never contributed it to implanon until now.. i need help and answers.
You are not alone sweetie. Myself and several other woman that have it that I have discussed this with have the same side effect. I initially got my implanon @ the end of april of 09 and by the beginning of july i had no sexual desire @ all and I am a VERY sexual person, so I know it was because of the implanon. Me and my bf just moved in with each other in october and i decided to take it out soon after because our sex life was close to non-existent, just him touching and kissing on me is annoying because I just dont feel sexual. Anyways I had it took out the 2nd week of october and although I have had like 2 spurts my sex life is STILL NONEXISTENT. FYI, I had 2 previous appts to get it taken out earlier than october but planned parenthood kept having to reschedule me because (although they conveniently forget to mention this) the procedure to remove it is delicate and most ppl who r licensed to insert it DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TAKE IT OUT. I've been trying to find out how long does it take before my libido starts to kick back in again because its been causing major arguments between me and my bf.
Oh my god, I am so pleased that i am not the only person feeling like this. No amount of sleep ever seems to be enough. Which in turn is stresing me out. Even falling asleep at work. On top of this i have no sexual desire at all. In facty i can honestly say my partners touch makes my skin crawl. This makes me feel terrible but i really have no libido.Tonight my partner basically said i have changed and he relates it to having implanon fitted in october. he says my mood swings are terrible and im un approachable. Im going to make a appoiontment tommorow to have it removed. And hopefull in time things will improve. Thank you to all that have posted comments and made me realise that im not going mad . lol xx
I hear you everybody i have been breastfeesding so no bleeding and i thought life was great but like many of you said i dont even want to be touched so from my opinion now it can take 4-8 months for it to come back but im not waiting 2 yrs thank you guys i dont feel so alone
i have had the implanon in for about 2-3 weeks. i am coming up with problems of having massive stomach cramps the one time i tried to have sex. Now i have no drive to have sex. i have a great boyfriend who is telling me that i should look into the causes and i found this message broad. I am 21 with no kids and i don't want any so i thought this was a good idea. Has anyone stayed with the implanon and had their sex drive come back. And if i do get it removed will everything go back to how is was. My boyfriend is being really great about all this, but i really feel bad not wanting to have sex when i love him to death.
so glad i am not the only one.
Had a look on the implanon-usa site, which reports that only 5%(of study) had libido problems......lucky us hey!!!
I had mine removed 4 weeks ago (after 12months) and almost instantly noticed a massive improvement in libido ( and general clearness of my moods). we are about to start ttc for #2, but still waiting for period... don't think I'll have it again, spent a long time trying to convince myself it wasn't the implant, but feel relieved that it was and its out!!
I have had my implant in for over 2 1/2 years got to the stage hubby and I split because of mood swings loss of libido and such was only a few months back realised it could be the implant causing the problem, I have bouts of when my libido is almost back to normal and then the next day I could just slap my husband if he even mentions sex LOL getting mine out Tuesday all I can recommend to all females do not get implant in the first place find different method of contraception the side effects I have are itchy skin no matter how hard I scratch no relief, food intolerance, mood swings, major fatigue some days don't even have the energy to get out of the bed and depression and due to the food intolerance my iron levels are extremely low and to top it off when the Dr put it in he cut the string to short so have to go under general to get it out I was told it was the best thing since slice bread well if i had of known all this then I would not have had it put in it literally has been slowly destroying my life and I cant wait after Tuesday I might start being on the road to gaining my life back
Wow! I'm glad to see so many people are experiencing the same things I have been! Why dont the doctors inform you of this stuff??
I've had mine in for 6 months and have just started having arguments with my partner about me never (and I mean NEVER) wanting to have sex.. I thought it was just my crazy working hours making me tired! I'm gathering by the dates on this post that most of u have had the implant removed, how did u go? Everything back to normal? If so might make that appointment to get mine out!!!
i was on implanon for 14 months. i did loose my sex drive and my husband is a fanatic.. but sex should not be the reason you break up, i mean we had arguments but we love each other and its not just about sex so why would it dictate whether we stay married. I have had implanon out for 2 months, 30 days after having it removed i got a period(had no period while on implanon) and my sex drive is back to normal, i dont have as many headaches. oh i was also on the depo shot for 5 years before the implanon with no period so, i would say it has a very fast recovery rate!
I am 24yrs old and always had a very high sex drive - I had the implanon in october 2010 I have really irregular periods, either not bleeding or bleeding for weeks on end. I can't stand having my fiance near me - forplay, full sex - it all makes my skin crawl , its ruining my life. However things have happened in our relationship that have caused me severe stress - but nothings changing and its just getting me down so much so I just want to be on my own all of the time. It hurts when I do give in and let him make love to me (my skin crawling all of the time) but I have had so many problems with pills etc, this was a last resort - its going to have to be condoms if I do have it out. And my partner is extrememly fertile!! Its all such a worry. I see u guysa have all had urs out now an u give me more info about it. So many thanks in advance from a woman @ breaking point... Like u wouldn't believe$
So, I've read through all the responses and haven't found an answer as to how to regain libido other without having to take out the Implanon altogether.  Has someone found a way to keep in the Implanon in and gain back their libido?  

The reason I settled on Implanon was because I have horrible issues with the pill, can't remember to take them, and Implanon was the only other contraceptive that allowed for spontaneity (besides Mirena, which I'm terrified of).  But now that I have absolutely NO desire for sex after having Implanon implanted, it completely defeats the whole purpose of having it.

I don't know what to do.  Arrrgghh.
Sorry for all the typos.  I didn't check it before posting.  
angeleyez111979, I had the mirena, and had many problems. I have two children and thought it would be a great way to not get pregnant, because i have a hard time remembering a pill, but I had irregular periods while the mirena was implanted, had NO sex drive at all, and on top of all of that, it fell out of my cervix without me knowing, and I am now pregnant with my third child. if you are having troubles with the implanon and sex drive I would definitely not recommend mirena. the ten year one with no hormones in it may be a better choice, but I've never tried it. just keep checking to make sure it's still there! I had no problem at all with the patch, though, so I think I may go back to that after I give birth to my son.
I had the implant fitted the beginning of 2008 and  got it removed about 5wks ago as It really started to mess my periods up, to the point were I'd bleed for 8wks, stop for 2 and start again! Within the time of having the implant I had NO sex drive at all! Didn't think about it, just didn't want it! Now since Getting it removed I have noticed that my sex drive has certainly come back! I did like the implant but the side affects definitely ain't worth it. I now have the coil which is fab! It lasts for 5yrs and has no hormones in it! Would definitely recommend.
i thought i was going maaad...implanon had totally messed up my sex life and oh the headaches are a nightmare...ive had it 3weeks and in 2days its OUT!.ill now try the iud and am praying it doesent mess me up...my man is the greast lover...i sued to orgasm even kissing but now i cant stand his touch...am through with implanon....ladies thank you thank you thank you
I had the implanon put in June 2010, about 12 months ago. It has completely ruined my life. I had NO sex drive whatsoever. Always moody. Always tired, I was just a horrible person. It has even split me and my boyfriend of 2 years up because it made me feel so low that all i wanted to do was be on my own. I always wanted to sleep, and sleeping long hours wouldn't make much difference. I have just had it removed 2 nights ago. obviously, i'm not feeling much of a difference yet. has anyone had it removed and how long did it take for your sex drive to get back to normal? thing is, as i am now single, will i even notice my sex's drive's got back to normal (as i am not having sex)?

i've put my name on the waiting list to have the mirena coil fitted... am i doing the right thing?
i have the same problem!!....i have had implanon for 2 1/2 yrs..and it is causing major problems with me and my husband...i have 2 kids and im getting mine removed in jan and am NEVER getting it again...i would rather have another kid than deal with the crap implanon has caused!!!!!!
WOW!!! I am lost for words. I, like many others obviously, thought that my lack of sex drive was due to other life factors and not Implanon. I have had mine for 3 months now and I can count the amount of times my partner and I have had sex on ONE HAND! It has not only caused problems within our relationship but also contributed to the onset of depression. I am constantly in a personal battle - I just cant bring myself to want to even think of having sex yet I love having sex with my man!! I can see it hurts him and his self esteem is taking a beating as a result. He feels it's that I am not attracted to him and that breaks my heart. In addition the loss of my own libido and everything ive mentioned has left me in a space where I am now becoming suspicious of my partner - constantly thinking he is seeing someone else to get his fix or that he is even just wanting to or considering it! I know he would never EVER cheat but even just the thought of him considering it kills me. I am 26 and prior to IMPLANON I had my dream life - sex was awesome and I actually craved it - relationship envied by others it was soooo good - never ever EVER been one to be suspicious of my man and all round PERFECT relationship and having the time of my life. Since Implanon - complete opposite. I am seriously considering having it removed as I cant stand this **** anymore and want my man back!! I need some help though as I need to believe it will be the right choice - any thoughts PLEASE
I was exactly in the same position but unfortunately,i had my implanon for 3yrs because i didn't run into a forum like this so i just literally thought it was due to my own sexual problems. However I can confirm that exactly 5wks after I was back to normal with a vengeance! My husband even has to come home from work for lunch to satisfy my urge, he's been dragged all the time we're in the house and we hardly get a sleep but we're both loving it. Implanon is the worst contraceptive ever made. I'm on natural remedy now so wish me luck.
DECISION MADE - It's coming out!!!!
I'm 17, had it in since October and I am so unhappy now, I want to have sex but cant because I cant get lubricated properly anymore which causes painful sex. I have had The worst cramps ever for about 2-3 months, constipation, lack of self confidence and sleep loss I can be so tired but not sleep. Should I get the implant out? Do you think this would help?
omg this is madness!  this is my second implanon (had the first in for the full 3 years) and it willl have been in for a year in august 2011. i have been going slowly mad thinking that ive turned into a freak! i have had no libido for almost the entire year, but oddly enough i did loose it slightly before the last one ran out, infact it ran out and i was 2 months late getting it removed and a new one put in, and in those two months i had a lust for bedroom gymnastics like you wouldnt believe, so there is hope that  ladies that the sexual desire does come back.
im off to the doctors tomorrow to get it removed, they (the docs) get a little stressed if you want it removed so imm saying im trying for baby number three. then im off to the family planning to get something else, they are fully up to date on thier knowledge there of whats good.
but guys ill keep you all posted on the libido front.
i feel so relieved that im not the only one who has been feeling like this.
my poor fella! he's been going slowly insane, bless him!
OMG I cannot believe it!! I went and got my IMPLANON taken out 6 days ago and since then my partner and I have not been able keep our hands off eachother!! The exact opposite of what I found myself to be whilst i had the IMPLANON implant. I havent been this happy in months!! If you are questioning whether to have it removed or not because you are experiencing the side effects most others have - I cant give you a personal suggestoin - GO GET IT OUT!!! I feel so strongly about IMPLANON being an unsuitable form of contraception now - its not good for anyones state of mind at all. Definitely get it out if you are already considering doing so!!!
I (23 yrs old) have the Implanon for 2 years now and have only come to the conclusion that it is the reason for my complete lack of sex drive. I have continued having sex as normal, although not in the mood, as i got it when me and my boyfriend just moved in together and i thought maybe this had affected my sex drive and didn't want anything to change with our sexual relationship but i actually am finding it hard to orgasm with it because i am not in the mood to begin with.
I am going to have it removed as soon as i have the money and options to replace it with some other contraception.
Can anyone tell me of some similar long term contraception that doesnt do this to me!!
Thanks, aisling!
Hi, I had mine put in sept 08 and since then have enjoyed a wonderful sexual relationship with my partner but for the past few weeks as it's coming near to be taken out, I have totally lost my libido and feel so utterly devastated about it. I want to make love and have him close and touching me but it almost feels like a chore and I really don't know why. I just can't feel like I used to and an orgasm is a thing of the past!! My partner like many others feels it's his fault but in no way is he to blame. We did wonder if it was due to the implanon coming to the end of it's cycle and coming on here has made me realise that not only could it be down to the implant but it's probably also to blame for the extreme moodswings, headaches and depressional bouts i've been so prone to since having it.
If anyone else is the same please post!!
I had been having similar symptoms when I read this forum last week. After one three month session with depo and only a few weeks with the implanon in, i was moody, depressed, and didn't want the love of my life to look at me! It was horrible! As someone going in to a career in medicine, I am so disappointed no health care practitioner thought it was a good idea to warn me about this VERY important side-effect: relationship death. After reading all of your comments and doing more of my own research (understanding the science of why this happens--and how it could be permanent!!), I decided to take mine out right away. And I am glad I did it early on--it was still at the surface and hadn't moved around making it relatively easy to take out. It healed up fast and within 4 DAYS I was already feeling more like myself. I had my patience back and I was no longer depressed. AND I actually wanted to kiss my fiance!! Unbelievable. We have been through A LOT and I can't believe this crazy hormone almost put all that in jeopardy. I am so glad that not all women have this side-effect, but if you do, I say, get it out. It was not worth it for me and I was having zero periods. And fyi, if you DO want to start the pill after getting implanon out, start it RIGHT AWAY. I have been doing my research online and that is the only way you will be covered immediately. Otherwise you have to use another form of birth control during the first 7 days, at least.  I wish my doctor had gotten this one right too!  
Anyway, thank you ladies for sharing your experiences and good luck with whatever you decide to do! If it wasn't for this forum I never would have known and I am SO happy with the decision I made. XX
My GF has had the implant for two yrs and thats the last time we had real sex. Since then, I have been the only one that has tried. and I honestly dont even want to have sex with her anymore. Her body his mad killer hot, she's beautiful, way out of my league, BUT ITS NOT WORTH THE F@CKEN  WORK  to get her into the mood. I swear, all politeness aside to all the readers in here, I just jackoff b4 she gets here, then we just hang out as friends, eat dinner whatever...I guess no sex and misery is better then getting knocked-up. we have tried every other type of B.C but the various side-effects are too much. There are two types of couples that have this implant: The ones that are not reading this because they are too busy having great natural bare-back sex (ohh... the memories and the sensations) or the other ones that bicker and the guy's forearms is stronger than the relationship itself. OH god it was good to vent...... idk what to do now......
i have had the same problem, but i have my implant in for 3 years then got it again but after 6 months it stuffed my body up i was not myself so i got it out...but i never really notice that i lost my sex drive until my parnter and me got together and he thoughs i was just not into him...but i am and love him so much we have a baby together and love each other so much but i need to get my sex drive back...i want sex but not as much as i did and i get a little bit of the natural lub but then it goes and its *****
Snap mate, im in exactly the same boat as you, and to top it off, shes miserable and moody too, but you know its not her. My g/f has just had hers taken out (last night) and shes called me up telling me she feels fantastic and really happy, which is possibly the best part! roll on 5pm to see if her sex drives back yet ;)
sorry meant bluemonster not you :D
omg !!! after i read this post i feel drop dead on the ground lOl!!! i honestly thought i was the only 21 year old going thru all these emotions i have been on the impolan for 2 yrs now and its coming off next week.. sex its like once a week which is ridiculous i thought it was the stress and the long hrs at work!!! i also have a daughter with my hubbyy.. its also come to the point of seperation!!! but hopefully once its taking out everything goes back to normal.. im even scared to get any other birth control anyone know if the iud has the same symtoms (symptoms)?? please help thanks
Returned Libido!

I was due my second implant in July this year. My doctor reluctantly took my first out without replacing it... and put me on the mini pill- one month later I was hating being on the pill and decided I would put an implant back in.

About 6 months after my first one was inserted I felt that my libido was decreasing- it got worse and worse and in September this year it was really affecting my 4 year relationship. We rarely had sex and when we did I wanted it over as quick as possible. I didn't even want my boyfriend to touch or kiss me.

My doctor strongly denied that this was anything to do with the Implant and told me we needed sexual counselling. At 21 we weren't prepared to subject our relationship to this. I went to the local sexual health clinic and asked their advice.
The lovely nurse could see how much this was affecting me and told me she would take it out. She said that although the implant is not proved to cause libido loss- there is nothing proving it doesn't.

I have had the coil- (copper: no hormones) fitted 3 weeks ago and the only problem I have had is uncomfortable cramps. And I have had the implant out a week today.
I'm not sure whether it is all just in my mind but I feel that my relationship had begun all over again and my libido has now returned.

Its only been a week but I feel so much happier and my boyfriend has noticed a complete difference to!

I would recommend that you GET THE IMPLANT REMOVED IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY!

These forums really helped me and I hope this helps you to!
I had the same problem happen to me, I was on the implanon for 2 years and after 2 years I finally decided it was time to take it out for a few other reasons on top of the loss of libido and how much me and my boyfriend were fighting because of it. He thought that I wasn't interested in him anymore and I think his self-esteem had dropped because of it. I think the hormones in the implanon or any birth control for some women have that effect no matter which kind you are on. I am currently on the Nuva Ring and I love the Nuva Ring but I think the same side effect is chasing me with this birth control as well.
Of course I am quite late with this, but I had implanon in 2009; inserted in March and out by september for the same reason. Now its 2012 and I am still in a rut. No doctor has helped. I've tried everything under the sun that can be purchased. My husband is feeling horrible bc he thinks its all him. I can't keep doing this. I miss the way it was. I just don't understand why I didn't get better. I'm desperate at this point bc my marriage is void an important passion. Has anyone found anything helpful? Doctor or otherwise?
OMG I am 18 years old and have had implanon for 8 months. I thought that i was the only person haveing a low sex drive  i hadnt really noticed until i got married 3 weeks ago and didnt want it at all   i am going to talk to my dr and see if there is anything they can do to counteract it without having to take it out. ill post back if anything works . wish me luck!
i just had mine removed after two yrs of it in. you can have it removed whenever you like. i lost all sex drive, to the point i didnt even want my husband touching me. it was making our relationship horrible. i went to my gyno and she told me i had no idea what i was talking about and how bc doesnt lower ur libido that there was a deeper problem between my husband and i! i freaked on her and i left crying, she was so horrible! our realtionship is great except for the sex. i also gained 20 lbs on implanon, i kno it was implanon bc i dropped all baby weight after i gave birth and stayed my normal weight for 5 months and then i got implanon and next thing you know i packed on 20lbs in 4 months. i work out evry dam day, we buy nothing but fruits veggies and lean turkey or beef and we only have water and milk in our fridge, we stay healthy. so i know that implanon screwed my body over tough, my gyno put me on sprintec bc pill about almost two weeks ago and im waiting to see if the sex drive comes back, if it doesnt then im gonna get off bc competely and just buy condoms. my husband will be deployin again soon so i wont need any bc so ill see how my body adjusts again and see if i lose the weight and whatnot. i pray tho bc im 23 and i want my life back!
U have no idea how relieved I am. I got the implanon in 2010. Since then it's been a struggle. Unusual bleeding, headaches, mood swings, could sleep all day. As for the sex it was a case of wanting it and not enjoying it due to the fact I could not get arroused fully or become vaginally lubricated. I love my boyfriend so much even his touch used to send me wild. Tat changed with the Implanon. Now booked in to have it removed. Can't wait to get back to my old self. Problem is now I've tried most contraceptives and nothing really agrees with me. Don't trust condoms fully.Any suggestions would be great. I can't take the pill cause of other medication. Mirena just made me bleed constantly. Depo made me very bloated.
I'm soooooo relieved to see that I'm not alone. I'm 22 and I had Implanon in Set 2011, since december I have been without libido.. My Bf started feeling very bad thinking that I was rejecting him, I do want do give him pleasure but I don't feel like...at all!!!  besides that, I was just loving Implanon.. I don't bleed anymore.. I though it was perfect until I figured that this could be the reason of me loosing my sex drive...

I don't like the pills, I always forget them... It's there something I can do to have my sex drive back without taking off? or does it exist some birth control similar but that doesn't make us feel this way?
I, too, was tricked and lied to by doctors about Implanon. I am 29, married, with a 3 year old special needs child and just wanted a good long lasting birth control. I had been on depo for 2 years and it was messing with my weight and mood swings, so I specifically asked doctors at Planned Parenthood for something that didnt do that to me. They recommended Implanon, claiming it was wonderful. Bull. Ive been moody, depressed, fatigued, and every other negative thing you can think of in the 9 months Ive had Implanon. Ive gained 20 pounds, lost all sexual desire, and bleed for two weeks at a time. The side effects are way worse than depo ever was. When I initially asked to have it taken out, the nurse denied Implanon would be the culprit, saying my stressful marriage and family life was causing all of the problems. I know my marriage isnt the best, and special needs kids can take a toll, but I also know I didnt feel this way until that stupid Implanon. Im having it taken out next week, and Im going to slap the next nurse that tells me I should keep it because it's "the best on the market." Ladies...DONT be fooled. Research all birth control, and dont let doctors make your decisions for you.
This is the third implanon I have had. So for a total of nearly 8 years! I have suffered from a complete lack of sex drive like you would not believe! my poor finace thinks that it is him. We have being together for nearly 5 years! In the beginning of our relationship as usual the sex was amazing and very often if not a few times a day as it is in a new relationship, as the months went on things soon turned crap! during that time a new implanon was due in which was the second one since then it has being like a tap has turned off my sex drive! This will be the last implanon I ever get. I get married this year in 6 months and will get it taken out after the wedding then not take anyting.  I am only 25 and having no sex drive ***** big time! My hubby to be totally understands though and has said a relationship should not be based on sex! Sometime I feel like it (sex drive) but seriously for a brief second then its gone, its almost like size is GROSS! I am worried that because I have had this type of contraception for nearly 9 years I am worried about bouncing back after it! So glad that I am not the only one who is suffering!
I am about to get implanon removed after some bad side effects. I was just wondering if anyone went on the pill after their removal?
If so, what pill? What pill would be most effective so that it doesn't cause the same effects as implanon?
wow having just read alot of everybody else's symptoms has explained alot for me, i had the implanon inserted seven months ago now, nd for the first three or four months everything was fine, after that ive started feeling really low mood wize, never got any energy to do anything, no amount of sleep seems to change that either and completly lost my sex drive cause lots and lots of rows between me and my partner nd only today ive decided to reasearch into things like low sex drive nd come accoss this i had never even taken my implanon into consideration before now, being as i took on a new job in january i just put it down to stress, after reading everyones comments im definatly considering removing it asap!! im only 19 nd really dont want this to affect my sex life and relationships doctors really should warn you about this kinda thing
I have the same problem and I am on Implanon also. I've had it in for almost 2 years now. I got the put in before my husband and I even met. We've been together for about 1 year and a half. The last time we had sex was about 2 months ago. I do ever feel like having sex nor feel like being touched. Nothing turns me on. I don't even fantisize about other woman or other men. Everything else is slowly start to break due to ou lack of sex. He thinks I'm not attracted to him anymore. I totally am I mean you should see him, damn. I just don't want to lose him from this. Its lame.
I have the same problem and I am on Implanon also. I've had it in for almost 2 years now. I got it put in before my husband and I even met. We've been together for about 1 year and a half. The last time we had sex was about 2 months ago. I dont ever feel like having sex nor feel like being touched. Nothing turns me on. I don't even fantisize about other woman or other men. Everything else is slowly starting to break due to our lack of sex. He thinks I'm not attracted to him anymore. I totally am I mean you should see him, damn. I just don't want to lose him from this. Its lame.
hey lol do you by chance remember how long iot took to feel " normal " after removal?? Ive had mine since April  2011.. and well i still feel crazy..lol.. lost libido..totally..longgg excruiating menstrual.. please help lol
Hey guys, i know im a little late, my girlfriend is actually on implanon and has been for the past 4 months. In this 4 months shes changed almost completely, short tempered, i say one wrong thing and shes pissed about it for days, she has no libido whatsoever. We were being intimate maybe 7-8 times a week, now maybe once a month if
Im lucky. Iv even been putting more effort into being romantic than i used too, at one stage filling her whole room with balloons, to find a painting that for her, and an invitation to dinner, movies and new clothes and jewelery to wear. I know sex isnt everything. But its nice once in a while. I was wondering if she will return to normal, with tempers, libido and a whole lot of other things once its removed, and how long
It usually takes :/ cos at this point its pretty hurtful the things she says sometimes even after all the effort i put in, thankyou to anyone who replies! Ps, sorry for the life story >.<.
Heyya guys, i know im a little late on this forum,
But if anyone replies im really greatful. -sorry for the long story-My girlfriend is on implanon and has had it for 4 months, in these four months shes turned from somebody who would appreciate everything i did for her, but now i can do the most romantic thing that i can think of, for example,
Waking her up to breakfast in bed, going along in the day, going home while i got her friends to take her out shopping. I hid a new outfit, complete with new jewelery under balloons on her bed, with an invitation to take her out to the movies, afterards going to dinner, roses, etc etc.. To cut a long story short. I said one wrong thing 'it wasnt even that bad' and bam. Everything that day accounted for
Nothing. And we used to be intimate alot before she got the implant. Up to 8 times a week if
I was lucky. Now maybe once a month if
Im lucky. I know
Sex isnt everything, but it does mean something
To us guys, iv even started doubting shes even attracted to me anymore
Even though i go to the gym atleast 3 times a week. And dont look too bad. She swears that she is but we havnt been intimate in a while
And it wears you down >,< anyways. Shes getting it out this weekend. I was just wondering how long it usually takes to return to normal... I really want
My old girlfriend back :/, i almost walked 15kms
Home the other night at about 11pm because of her mood changes. Any replies
Would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
OMG I wish I had've known about all this before getting the implant.
I got it a few months ago & my sex drive basically has decreased to nothing...I was hoping it would be due to exams & stress but now I'm worried it's not & it's not going back to normal.

Has anyones gone back to normal after they've taken it out?

nightmare :(
omg this is how i feel too i broke up with my boyfriend and i have had my Implanon for about a month and i don't get lubricated either it actually kinda hurts and it ***** to think their doing something wrong when really I'm not attracted anymore this is scary should we get it taken out ??
HELP!! ahha
i had the same problem with the implant my sex drive went and me and my husband were arguing all the time, after 2 years i had to have it removed and my sex drive came back after 1 week its fab i cant leave him alone :)
I've had my implanon in since 2006 1 year after I got with my ex, i never really knew why things changed in our relationship but i changed and not for the good, my sex drive disappeared into aladdins cave and never to be seen again, I became really cold and quite honestly horrible towards my ex and for another 18 months I thought all our relationship problems were due to him not caring for me enough ( emotional, moody wreck ) he was an angel and put up with me but I ended it all 2 years ago and I've been single since as my sex drive is still gone and I'm still moody, I have acne issues, weight gain and just everything that I didn't have have before I had this put it. Anyway I've been doin my research over the last few months as the dr's were just putting me on antibiotics for my acne which i knew wasn't right. The amount of info I didn't know about the implan has amazed me and if i knew all of this at the beginning I would have noticed my symptoms and had it taken out earlier and I might have been able to save my relationship but now it's too late. I'm going to have the devil stick taken out on monday and have the hormonal free coil put in as I finally found a Dr who knew all about my situation. She also wants to test me for PCOS which she can't do until i've had the implanon taken out as this can alter the results! I feel like finally i'm getting somewhere and i have every finger and toe crossed that it helps my mood swings, acne and sex life to go back to normal. I feel so terrible that I didn't know about this earlier.... maybe i lost a diamond in the rough and he's gone forever now.... :( I'll input when i have my coil fitted next week. fingers crossed!
The same thing is happening to me and i hate the fact that i dont want my bf to touch me however trying to explain this to my mum would be hard as i am only 18 and still live with her i am not sure she would understand due to falling preg at 15 and having no choice but to have an abortion and she dosent want me to get it taken ouy but its breaking my heart because i love my bf to bits what should i do? Someone help
Have you thought about changing to the hormone free coil? it lasts for 5 years.... I've just had mine put in today and wasn't half as scary and painful as I had read on other forums, it took 15mins and now just have period type cramps but some paracetamol should take the edge off... xx
I have had this same problem also! My boyfriend is very understanding, but we have had sex once in over a year, wich is ridiculas! We've been together 6 years and he is my life, but I just do not feel sexual at all. Its really getting me down, I think I am going to get it removed, afterall what is the need for it if I am not having sex anyway?
I'm 20 years old and I have had the same problems with implanon. I'm so sad to hear all these stories because I love not having to take the pill. But I have had the implanon since november of 2011 and now I have no self-lubrication... Seriously what the heck, I'm 20 years old.. My boyfriend and I still have sex as much as we can but I'm usually not in the mood and we always need to use lube... It's embarrassing and he will ask if I'm not "in the mood" but a lot of the times I am but still can't get wet... :( sorry if it's TMI ... It's just frustrating. I wonder if I should just take it out?
Omg,you don't know how far back all of you have taken me,I was a sexual person and that's why I think my fiancé lovedme for most,but before I put the implanon in 2008 we had a few problems in our relationship & he is the one who opted for it,he convinced me how the Dr,had convinced that it's the best on the mkt without any side effects.I accepted tho I wasn't that happy & when my mood swings changed & my low sex drive,I always blamed it on him thinking he didn't give me much attention that he used to give me before.So we decided to keep running our lives that way thinking thats how things have turned out to be,I even replaced it last year but I have made an appointment with my Dr,to see what he tells me,but this totally made me low and at some point I cried,thx to you all for this forum,its a blessing to our lives.
Just wanted to update you,you can't believe I went to see my gyna & immediately he removed it.So he gave me 1 month to see whether my hormones will stabilize,get my periods then see what better BC to use.
Hi everyone!

Don't use drugs, use a computer that tells you which 2 days you are most likely to be able to get pregnant!!! For example Lady-comp, I ordered one yesterday.

Just had my implanon removed yesterday around 11 am. Today, about 24 hrs later, I had a "rush" of nausea and therefore desided to look for side effects after removal. Interesting to find so many people who have experienced side effects during.

I see now that I probably have unknowingly experienced side effects during use as well. I had it put in about 7 yrs ago, during a time in my life when I was depressed and didn't feel good or normal anyways, so didn't notice anything new after the implanon was inserted. Regular menstuation. That I didn't have very much sex drive at all I thoight was "just me, the way I am". But it surprised me a bit because I used to have a very strong sex drive. And sometimes I have to say that iteven made me question if I was even straight....because my perfect boyfriend who I love doesn't turn me on....this thread has made me hope for a fabulous libido, now once the implanon is removed!

Girls, get of the drugs, ALL kind of pharmaceutical drugs! Aspirin, paracetamol, nasal spray, everything! I got tinnitus (ringing in the ears) a year ago. Found out that most drugs, even aspirin, can give you this. I found a book "Natural cures they don't want you to know about" by Kevin Trudeau and after I had read it I knew I could cure anything. I stopped everything. I eat basically only organic food now, no more pain killer (used 3 times a week) no nasal spray (used every night before bed time) and now the implanon is gone  (surprisingly I wasn't as much in a hurry with this...kind of thought it was almost natural and almost safe...but now I believe it is perhaps the worst one by far). Anyways, my tinnitus is almost completely gone!!! And tinnitus they tell us is "incurable".

Take control of your health, and stay natural!

Best wishes from Sweden :)
Ive had the same problem & im  20 yrs old with 2 kids. I had the implanon inserted august of last year & since then i been having issues with my husband he is wanting to consult it with a physcologist but i totally disagree plus is an xtra waste of money. I opted for this anticonception because i thought it would be the best option & i prove myself wrong. Its causing alot of problems between hubby & i but Beside that side effect i kindof dont want it removed because i dont feel like takin pills or having anything else put in my private parts. Help please, what to do?
My wife had this stupid implant inserted in her body towards our wedding in July 2012 but since then i have tasted its wrath. fromthe day until now she has never stopped bleeding, leave alone that but kur bedroom is like a wrestling ground. we even fight from the dinning table, church, market place...name it. 2 days ago we had to remove it but it effecfs have intensfied.  I have never had good sex since our wedding and actually for 2weeks i havent been able to taste my wife. she is so depressed but am silently dying too. guys,i wouldnt want to lie to you but the implanon is the worst measure to choose.Better get children than going through this!
I have been wondering the same thing for a while now just haven't given much thought to it being the implanon. Mainly because I enjoy not having my periods (always painful n heavy) I've been reading that the libido loss can b permanent. I have had mine going on yr 4 ( just had it really inserted ) is it possible that the damage for me is permanent
Life has never been the same with my wife since after she put on that Implanon thing. She is dead fridgit and do not even want any touch. Anything that will take away the sex drive like this, from a sexually vibrant woman, must be crude indeed. That thing is affecting our marriage in more ways than one. It is worthless!
I looked this up because i am in the same boat. Its been two months since i had sex since putting the implonan in. I had run out of options pill ruined my hormones and exaggerated my endodemetriosis, depo failed and due to trauma i cant have anything like mirena. I am newly wed (12mths ago) my husband is great at understanding but i miss wanting it and he misses it! Any tips for the libido?..
Hello everyone, I'm a 25 yo guy who is very worried about my girlfriend, she had the implanon implanted before we got together and it seemed to be normal for a time and she quickly became the center of my world. We went out, had great conversations and loved being close. We are both military and while she was out of state she started have an long menstral cycle. When she came back it continued for a total length of one month. Her sex drive before that was normal but while she was away she started saying that she was getting angry with people and felt like she didnt want to be touch. That feeling has contined for almost 2 months now and she is easily set off, we argue about meaningless thing and she has started to push me away. I never though it was the implanon i figured i was just messing up time and time again and found myself hating life. there is no more hugging, kisses have turned into me requesting a kiss instead of it natually happening and cuddling is dead. she doesnt even want to be in the same car as me, she rides her motorcycle to resturaunts when we go out for dinner. I want to sit and talk with her and ask if she would give some consideration to having the implanon removed especially since i and moving out of the country in a few months. I want to propose to the the woman i fell in love with but im being pushed away by a chemical in a 3in plastic tube. Any advise is appreciated
This has been most helpful, I got implanon after the birth of my second child as it was a no worry full proof contraceptive and didn't need to bother with taking pill every day etc so thought it was great, I have no mood swings (PMT) no cramps and have about 2 periods a year so thought it was great, but my sex drive is non existent, I am NEVER in the mood, I put it down to giving birth and a traumatic delivery as I heard this can cause loss of libido but my son is now nearly 3 so I starting thinking I should be over it by now, it was my husband (who has been very understanding) who suggested it could be implanon and I had never even considered it before so I typed it into google and found loads of people complaining about it, I can't believe I've been putting up with this for nearly 3 years, appointment will be getting made to get it removed asap, thanks for all the comments they've really helped me make my mind up
This rod has almost ruined my life. I've had such horrible mood swings/depression while on this that I tried suicide a few times. It made me not want to be touched or around my husband. Sex or romantic notions never were instigated by me and if happened it was because I tolerated it. I loathed him and deep down I knew I didnt. What was wrong with me. I felt horrible and disgusted for letting a great man and father think I didnt love him anymore. This only added to the depression and self loathing. We have had domestic incidences and even caused harm to one another.  I figured maybe I had just fallen out of love with him. Thinking that maybe I was bi-polar we started looking online for answers to my feelings. Nothing was like this 2 yrs ago so we backtracked. Pregnancy? nope. Breastfeeding? Nope.Then it hit us. Implanon? So once we looked online we found this site and after reading all these comments I feel a lot better. It wasnt me! I'm not crazy I do love my husband still! I have an appt to remove it friday 7th. So happy! My life will resume to normal.
I wish I hadve had mine out ages ago as I've had the same problems for near 3 years I'm due to have it changed at Feb but I'm getting it out ASAP an hopefully I get my sex drive back or ill be splitting with my bf as he doesn't understand either!
I feel scared. I had my implanon placed in February of 2012. My sex drive has disappeared and I am so worried. I feel like sex is nasty! I don't want to feel this way! Will my sex drive return if I have it removed?
I have had my implanon out since March 2012 and my libido still has  not returned......... has anyone any solutions to what could help ?? If this is permanent i don't know what i'll do.. desperate at this stage. Only married 4 months.. it shouldn't be like this !!
I bet they also didnt tell any of yall that not only does it make you lose your sex drive like i have lost mine but can also make you bleed for months at a time. They told me that i could bleed for maybe a month or even stop haven a period completely but they didnt tell me you could bleed for three months at a time if not more. I hate this thing and i want it out I rather take a pill everyday but i no longer have insurance on me so i have to deal with it. And like most of yall i got it because i thought it would be great. i have two kids 16 months a part and they told me it was the best out on the market boy were they wrong.
I agree,I have never felt so depressed, my partner thinks I have no desire in him, my bleeding is just or wrong,and definately no sex drive,but after another arguement last night i started trying toremember what I have done that may have causedthis to happen. IMPLANON, and then I found this site,and it has so many simuliar stories. Booked in to have it removed this Sunday. Hope things go back to normal.Thanks everyone for your posts.IM not INSANE after all
This forum has been a life saver for me today, a fue of my friends had the implant in and havent experianced the same symptoms as me, and like many ive read after finding this page and know that we are not alone with all this im ringing the docs in the morning to have mine out. Since being on the implant ive had no sex drive at all, i was late getting it change and those 2 weeks it had run out i was like a dog on heat. Like many of you my relationship is suffering because of this, not because sex is the main thing in a relationship but when it isnt a natural thing and im knackered all thetime ven after 8 hours sleep, and my stress levels towards everyone have sky rocketed, the loss of my grandad weeks after my birthday last year made me depressed but was alot more depressed then i have been as have had depression before. Me and my bloke have been together 8 years this april and have 2 beautiful children, were going through a tuff time at the moment and i think that the problems i am having with this implant are and have added to where we are right now.
Just an update to my previous post, I got my implanon out in early December last year so that's nearly 2 months ago and I would say things are improving slowly, within a couple of weeks I noticed a difference and my sex drive has definitely improved, not back to normal yet but my husband is much happier and so am I.  I just went back on the pill, slightly more inconvenient but will never get Implanon again,  It's just not for me.  I hope you all manage to find a solution as well.
My Wife also got her Implanon out in December, it was her second one and shed been on it for four years. She got off of it because of a low sex drive, mood swings and most other side effects other people have complained about on here. Everything was fine for the first two years but after that her sex drive went way down. Two months later she got her period back and shes alot more  affectionate with me. We switched to condoms which we used to hate, but we found Trojen Bare and they don't bug us at all.
OMG I'm 22 now in this July wud of been my 3rd yr n this thing has really messed my sex life up n my Guy is not happy I really have no desire for sex. I just got it took out last week n started BC pills should I have waited?
Is there any other remedy for it?

horse adventure
I just got home from the doctors.  I asked them to take out my implanon.  They wouldn't!!  I got Implanon one year ago and since then I get two periods a month and I feel my sex drive decreased.  So my doctor tells me that she never heard anyone having a sex drive decreased and that we just go through times in life where we have different sex drive levels and maybe I should seek counseling to find out what works for me to relax me and enjoy sex.  She put me on the pill to help get rid of my period irregularities.  So now I don't know what to do.  Reading the posts on here I feel maybe I am right and Implanon could be a factor.  I feel like why not take it out just to be sure but I don't know how to convince her!!  So I don't know my next step.  
Maybe back to the pill.  I don't mind taking it every day and I am scared of the IUD's.  I never been pregnant and worried the IUD may move and I just don't like the idea of it.   Maybe I will try condoms for awhile just to give myself a break!
DO NOT GIVE UP, call every week, or even every day, telling them how you feel and tell them that you won't give up calling until it is out. I am having mine removed in 2 weeks as im fed up of feeling repulsed when my fiance tries to even touch me. I love him more than anything but cannot stand the thought of sex. So don't give up and you will get it out eventually!!
And I have had mine 2 years and the decreased sex drive has never gone away. Some people get it some don't. If you don't feel comfortable with it, you have every right to have it removed :)

GOOD LUCK XX
I had mine out 2 weeks ago due to weight gain, tiredness and loss of libido! And now I've lost 6lbs , I'm more energetic and I'm back to having sex 5-6 tes a week!! It definitely caused problems for me!! My husband is using condoms at the minute but has an appointment to have a vasectomy x
I began my first relationship and my period around the age of 18, and after I dated my ex for about 9 months, I got the depo shot. During that time while I was on my period regularly and in my first relationship, I had a very high libido although we did not have sex for the first time until I was on the shot. When it came time to get the second shot, I opted for Implanon because I didn't want to worry about making an appointment to get the shot every few months and I'm terrible at remembering to take pills. I have now had the Implanon for nearly two years (it was put in in August 2011) and my life has been an emotional roller coaster. My first relationship ended after a year and a half and after reading some of these comments, I think the Implanon combined with an emotionally abusive relationship based on physical activity have caused a significant decrease in my libido and my emotional well being.  I am now in my third relationship but still have the Implanon, and although I adore my boyfriend and am in a much healthier relationship not revolved around physical activity, I do not have the same sexual desire that I had when I was getting my period naturally.  I also have been going through periods of depression for no reason, which also is not my normal disposition as I usually am cheerful and happy.  Looking at the timeline of my emotional roller coaster and the insertion of the Implanon, I can definitely see where it has likely affected my hormones. I have been driving myself crazy trying to think about why I don't have sexual desire or fantasies and why I feel depressed even though my life is completely normal and relatively stress free. I have wondered if it was Implanon, if I just wasn't attracted to men in general, if I have clinical depression, SADs, you name it, and that in addition to me overthinking everything and being a worrier anyway, I don't know how I have coped with it all. Reading these other experiences is finally giving me an answer and I plan on getting Implanon removed. I hope that this solves everything that has been affecting me since I had it put in because I can't take this anymore! Thank you all for your experiences because I am so relieved to have an answer!
I've had implanon in for about 7 months and I'm crazy tired all the time, moody and I have zero sex drive. Even the discussion of sex annoys me since I never had an issue before. It's getting worse too... I've had non stop periods for 7 months... And as threse are easing up a little, my moods are worsening. Doctors won't tell you this stuff. I'm getting mine out next week.
So pleased to find that I wasn't alone in my experience of Implanon. Had the implant on the advice of the sexual health clinic in 2010, at first my periods were every two weeks and lasted anything from 3-5 days...surprised I didn't get anaemic but stuck with it as I was told it can take anything up to a year to "settle down".

During this first year my sex drive did decrease, probably mostly due to the fact I was always on my period.

Eventually, things did "settle down" with my periods although I wasnt clockwork regular like I always was before. However as the months went by the idea of sex physically started to repulse me. My boyfriend couldn't do anything right, I didn't want to be touched, kissed and couldn't bare the thought of more. I felt like a prude. Like it was dirty and wrong.

The other side affects I had from the implant was sore acne on my upper back and arms, and I noticed how it almost regulated my mood swings, admittedly, I have always had pretty bad mood swings during my periods but I didn't get these while on the implant. Nothing bothered me, I just didn't care about anything really.

I finally had it removed in May of this year after multiple arguments with my boyfriend. Unfortunately for us the damage was done and we broke up in June as I still didn't want sex.

I'm pleased to say however that my feelings towards sex and anything sexual now are not one of revulsion. Things still aren't 100% normal but I'm hoping things will improve in the next half of the year and I thank you all for sharing your experiences, its nice to know we aren't alone :-)
No matter what a doctor says "will be good for you" when it comes to birth control (especially) ALWAYS DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! Before you even go in to discuss BC with your doctor, look up info on any bc's you are thinking of using and weigh out the pros and cons. Ask as many questions as possible that you are concerned with. This should help you to chose the right birth control that works in YOUR life, not just what is suggested. Good luck!
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem I got the implanon in January me and my husband had our first son in Oct and wanted to wait for a while to have another one so my Dr said this would be the best thing. Soon after I got it I had no sex drive at all and I'm only 22 and had no problem before and me and my husband fight all the time and we was prefect before now  it's making him want to leave. Does taken it out help?I just want my sex life back and for the fighting all the time to stop. I stay stressed 24 7
I know EXACTLY what you are going through!!! I have had my Implanon for several years and I have absolutely ZERO libido as a result... My boyfriend, who I have been with for about 4 years now, doesn't understand it at all and thinks that something is wrong with me for not wanting to have sex ever (he's even suggested that I might be gay!). I am SO TIRED of the constant fights over sex and really want to know if there is anything that can be done about it... I hate taking birth control pills because I can never remember to take the pill when I'm supposed to, which is why I was drawn to the Implanon - it's something that I don't even have to think about. But this whole loss of libido is taking a serious toll on my relationship and could possibly be the end of it if I don't find a way to fix this soon  :(
hey @jjsangel.....i know you made this post years ago..but i have had this horrible experience also (& im a 21 year old newly wed) :((....It causes so much trouble between me and my husband. i NEVER want to have sex. I just got it taken out a couple days ago. I pray that you will see this to give me an answer...did you ever get your normal libido back and how long did it take?
So did you get your libido back? and if so, how long did it take to come bck?
hello.. does anyone of you feel pain while on sex? and lower abdomenal (abdominal) (puson) pain sometimes? while on implanon....
I got mine taken out 12 days ago. My sex drive was at zero. It took about 3 days and I am all over my husband. He seems so much happier. It was affecting his confidence and our marriage negatively. He didn't believe me that it was the implanon. I'm hoping it will taper off a little as I want sex more than him now! Try to get something without hormones like the copper IUD.
I'm 25 and have had mine in since 2009, 4 years, just got mine out, I had been experiencing fatigue, extreme headaches, and worst of all NO SEX DRIVE!!! My fiance keeps thinking I want nothing to do with him I don't want him to touch me even though the implanon has been taken out, I'm worried my libido will never be the same again!
My girlfriend had a coil fitted because of very heavy periods to the point it was causing anemia. As everyone above has found, my girlfriend has no interest in sex anymore. I would rather she was in good health thou not losing so much blood with the periods. Do feel like our relationship isn't as close anymore thou.

My girlfriend has been on this for a few months now and we have gone from having sex almost daily to having sex once a month. Literally, it's been three times in the past three months (only once sober). I can't take it. I'm being as supportive as possible because I know that Implanon is the only birth control she can take due to a bunch of other problems (she gets horrible migraines with most of the other birth control methods, amongst other things). Reading the comments above, I fear that our relationship is going downhill because of this. As one of you said, you don't even like your boyfriend kissing you or hugging you anymore, and that's exactly where we are right now. And yes, I do feel like she is repulsed by me even though I know it's just the side effects. My question is, since she can't really use any other form without worse side effects, is there anything we can do to increase her sex drive while she's still using Implanon? If not, I'm not sure how much longer we're going to last. The tension has been causing us to fight almost every day now
My girl had the Implanon put in when we were in the UK at the end of 2009.  I didn't really realise it but all the times I thought she was being so difficult.  Its this implant as at night she pushes me away and I know she loves me but she just doesn't feel comfortable.  

Her periods are very irregular.  We have sex when we get the chance but then she is straight back on another period which can last for weeks.  Please guys and girls reply to me, it seems that this is not just a minority here.  We had a new implant inserted in Thailand and no doctor mentioned these side effects (lack of sex drive).  

I am a man, and I have felt so guilty as I need to get off during the periods of no sex, so when when she is ready for sex often, I have let one go the day before, then she thinks I'm not performing well anymore.  Many of our problems could be down to this implant.  

Her periods are very irregular.  We have sex when we get the chance but then she is straight back on another period which can last for weeks.    We had a new implant inserted in Thailand and no doctor mentioned these side effects (lack of sex drive).  

Please get back to me on your feelings.

jamey
The same is going on for me non-stop but with implanon I'm not having any period pains where as before hand I almost fainted from them.
After reading some comments above it has confirmed my fears but also helped me understand mine and my girlfriends situation.

We got together November of last year and from the off had an amazing sex life and became incredibly close so quickly. She has had the implant for about 2 and a half years and around December/January she started bleeding irregularly over the course of 2 weeks. She went on the pill to stop this and for a period of afew days/ a week, we were back to normally and managed to have good sex in that time...then the bleeding started again. We presumed in was that the implant had lost its potency and got it changed.

Since having it changed the bleeding remained irregular so was given a pill of a lower dosage of hormones to be taken 3 times a day to combat the bleeding, which she was told there would be no side effects that would effect sex drive, depression (she's had a history of depression fyi) etc. Since the change we have had little to no sex over the past month. Were currently trying to ween her off this pill to just having the implant to see if its stops the bleeding and that she regains her sex drive back, but naturally I am extremely worried. At the moment she doesnt want to hug me, kiss me or even hold my hand, let alone have any kind of sex with me. This leaves me feeling horrible and helpless, as I know its not my fault but is leaving me feel like complete s***.

We love each other so much but the tension and upset that this is causing its getting unbearable, however I am willing to wait as long as it takes and do what ever it takes to get us back to having a healthy relationship and the strong sexual relationship we once had.

Any help, advice, words of wisdom would be great!