Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Medical advise from a doctor professional in gynaecology

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

I had mirena coil fitted jan 2012.after 2 months had to have it removed and refitted as it had dropped 2cms. 2nd time round its stayed in place and periods stopped after 6-8 weeks. I had it fitted due to having enlarged blood vessels all over my uterus and also small bit of enmaditriousis which my gyny removed.i was in a lot of pain.so after rough start its been great up until the last couple of months.ive been feeling sick as a dog.i feels like morning sickness when I think about it also really sore boobs which my nipples get really tight and are erected so much they hurt like hell.also I have put on lots of weight and can't seem to shift it.the worrying thing is this morning I went to the toilet and had quiet a bit of blood.after being to toilet I started to feel soreness in my ovaries, but soreness that I've never experienced before.it feels like my ovaries are bruised.feel very drained I'm jus concerned as I haven't been having intercourse with my partner as I've had 2 ops on ankle since 28th oct 2012 but jus over the last couple of weeks been having it much more. I don't know if this is a sign that my coil has slip again??? The feeling pregnant has been for few months on and off but especially 2weeks ago more so. But this bleeding has concerned me as the last week I've had sex everyday.
Amenorrhea during and after using Mirena IUD is a side effect of this contraceptive. According to an estimate nearly 23.9% women were having this side effect after using Mirena. But it is necessary to rule out any pregnancy as well. For confirming the status of pregnancy by urine for pregnancy test (UPT),the most accurate way to test for pregnancy is to wait until after your period is due. First appearance of pregnancy hormone, HCG, due to implantation occurs 6-12 days after ovulation. So if you don’t want to wait for your periods and test for pregnancy then you can test at 9 or 10 days past ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test.

I sincerely suggest you to do a urine for pregnancy test and if the test comes negative, then please wait for your periods and repeat the test after 1 week of your missed periods date.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.