Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Micronor or "mini pill" while BF'ing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Micronor or "mini pill" while BF'ing

My 6 week check up is in 9 days and I'm thinking of getting on micronor or the "mini pill" because I'm EBF'ing my daughter, I've read some things online about it causing terrible mood swings and breakthrough bleeding, and it not being as effective? I have the option of an IUD, which I don't want, this pill, depo, or OTC BC options like condoms, etc. The pill is what I'm used to and honestly I'd rather have a pill, but I'm scared this pill is going to cause terrible symptoms, has anyone been on it? I've also read from a few BF'ing moms that it DID cause a decrease in supply although it shouldn't. I just need some experienced opinions!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
Each contraceptive method varies in degree of effectiveness. It may cause side effects in few women. The few common side effects of Micronor are changes in menstrual bleeding, depression, breast tenderness, headache, weight gain etc. It does not affect the production of breast milk. It is not necessary that you will have all the side effects. There are few birth control pills containing  Ethinylestradiol and Drospirenone.Their side effects are comparatively lesser compared to other pills. You may consult your doctor about which method will be most suitable for you. Keep me posted.
Best luck and take care!