Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Minocycline & tri sprintec combination

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Minocycline & tri sprintec combination

I take 50mg of minocycline once a day, and have for a couple years now. I am also on tri-sprintec birth control. I was just wondering if the minocycline would reduce the effectiveness of birth control and if so, how much does it reduce the effectiveness?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you not too worry too much.  The actual data seem to indicate that only a select few antibiotics actually interfere significantly with the effectiveness of oral contraceptives, and minocycline is not one of the ones that typically does.  HOWEVER for anyone who wanted absolute certainty, I would recommend a back up method such as condoms.
One thing to consider is that often birth control pills keep your complexion clear, and you may not need the minocycline (I'm assuming that you are taking it for acne--disregard if this is not true).  You could stop it for awhile to do the experiment, and re-start if needed.  Just a thought--discuss with your personal doctor.
Good luck!
Dr B