Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Mirena - Black Blood for 7+ Days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Mirena - Black Blood for 7+ Days

I got a Mirena in 2 months ago.  I have had unusual bleeding off and on that whole time.  I had a regular period when I was expecting it last month.  2 weeks after that period, I had heavy bleeding for only a day.  Immediately after that I started to have black or very dark brown blood that was light but significantly more than just spotting.  This has been going on consistently for the last 7 days.  Is this normal?  Does this fit under the category of usual bleeding? Or is it a sign of something else?
I had that with depo and my doctor told me it was old blood.
With the copper IUD I had heavy bleeding for a year.  Two months may be normal for Mirena, but no reason you can't call your doctor and ask if its normal.  They expect to hear when you have concerns.