Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Mirena IUD: perforated uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Mirena IUD: perforated uterus

I just found out that my mirena has perforated my uterus. I was told this is extremely rare. Does anybody have experience with this? Any long term complications?
In rare cases is possible for Mirena to make a hole in the uterus. This is called perforation. If the uterus is perforated, it may require surgery to remove Mirena. Perforation can cause internal scarring (leading to infertility), infection (which can cause death), or damage to other organs. Hence get it removed soon.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.