Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Mirena Removal Nightmare!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Mirena Removal Nightmare!!!!

Hi Ladies!

I have a question/advice for all of you all that have had what they call the "mirena crash" and for women considering the mirena.

Q: I feel like I'm dying at this point. I have been to ER. Twice because of the EXTREMELY heavy bleeding, bad cramping, and blood clots about the side of baseballs. It has been seven days since it has started,(had mirena taken out last Wednesday morning and the bleeding started that night) and it has only gotten worse. They gave me provera to try and stop/slow bleeding but it is doing nothing!!!! I went in today for a doc visit and they wrote me another script for 5 day provera again. Let me explain how bad it has gotten. At the moment I am actually wearing an adult diaper, and 2 overnight pads like they give you after you have had a baby, and changing those every 45 mins. 30 if I try to pick up my daughter or stand too long at work. I am FREAKING out!! Do you know how degrading it is when you have to wear a diaper at only 21 years old? I have been taking iron pills and eating lots of spinach, tuna and everything trying to NOT DIE. When they took my levels at the doc my iron was at a 10. I have always been told it is supposed to be 15. They have done an ultrasound and say I look normal but I feel like my insides are RAW and I feel empty inside, like I've had a miscarriage or something. Any suggestions as to if something else may be going on besides just the removal of the mirena?

ADVICE: This is my 3rd mirena. One expelled itself, the second one cause me to have costs that were doubling by the month so I had to have surgery for fear of it busting my falopian tube or vary, and not this one has been hell. I have gained 60 lbs in one year, and actually ate less. I had absolutely no sex drive and it got to the point where my man has accused me of cheating. All my hair is falling out of my head bit my hair has become thicker and darker in all other areas. Acne that will not go away, and my migrants are 1000 times worse. I was also very polar/depressed. I literally felt like I was losing my mind. So please take in all precautions before you get it my doc kept pushing the mirena and I kept giving in. THEY DON'T TELL YOU ALL OF THE SIDE EFFECTS AND WHAT CAN/WILL HAPPEN. It may be right for some women, but do your research before you ruin your body!!!

Thanks ladies!!!
To control heavy bleeding, you may need to get oral contraceptives and ethamsylate and tranexemic acid prescribed. This will control heavy bleeding. Apart from iron supplements, eat raw dark-green leafy vegetables (like spinach or kale), liver, yeast, beans and citrus fruits, and in fortified cereals and bread. This is must to prevent any anemia.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing