Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Mirena falling out

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Mirena falling out
I've had my IUD in for 3 1/2 years and a few nights ago it fell out. Should I be worried about a chance of pregnancy and what would cause it to fall out after so long? Also if I was pregnant would it show up on a test?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to do a pregnancy test right away and then repeat in a week for two to three weeks.  Pregnancy IS a possibility and could be a reason for expulsion.  Alternatively, it could have been slipping for awhile now, and just finally fell out.  You will definitely want to use a back up method until you can get another IUD (if that is your choice).
Good luck!
Dr B