Mirena problems
I've had my Mirena for nearly 8 months. I've made an appt. with my doctor for a week from now because I've been having issues. Since I got the Mirena placed, I've noticed a very unpleasant odor on and off (gross, I know) and sometimes get a thick white discharge. Last night I woke up very itchy around the opening of my vagina and around that area.

I'm assuming that this is some sort of infection, but I just want to hear other opinions and know if anyone else has experienced this. I am going to try to have it removed when I see my doctor too...
Hey, I haven't yet got the Mirena. My appointment is June 13th to have it inserted. What exactly did your doc say about the issues you were having? Please keep me posted on this.
I wouldn't suggest getting the mirena. I loved it the first couple months, but it's been awful the last four or five months. Out of my 6 friends that have it, only one of them hasn't had problems with it.

I haven't gotten it removed yet because I got BV (bacterial vaginosis) from it and need to get rid of the infection before I can get it taken out.

When I first got Mirena I had horrible cramps that subsided after a couple months. Then I was okay with it, but started to notice a bad odor (which I now found out was probably a yeast infection or the BV). What happens is that your body sees it as a foreign object and tries to fight it off, which causes infections, weird smells, discharge, etc.

You're also more likely to get acne on Mirena than any other type of birth control too. I've NEVER had trouble with pimples or acne before I got this inserted. Now I have it all over my chest and forehead. I've also noticed more hair growth on my upper lip and chin.

My suggestion is to try a different type of birth control, because this one definitely hasn't been worth the acne, cramps, pain during sex, and infections (which are very likely and most health care providers don't warn you of).

However, I do like that I haven't been moody or gained any weight, which I usually do with birth control. And I like that my periods have almost completely stopped because they were so heavy before.

I'm getting mine removed in two days though and I hope it doesn't hurt like when I got it inserted. I can't wait to have this thing out of me.
I have gotten Mirena in March and i got some discomfort that day and 2 days after a lil cramping but nothing severe... i actually love it ..my periods were lighter right away and i dont have to worry about becoming pregnant :) .. i have not had any of the vaginal infections that the other ladies are talking about or discharge either... but everyone reacts different to it ... i was totally scared to get it in because my own mother told me it was awful and same with my mother in law said the exact same thing ... but me and 4 of my cousins have the mirena placed in and none of us have had no issues what so ever but again its totally up to you and you truly wont know how your own body will react to it until you try it out ... so good luck with whatever BC you go with :)
sorry that previous msg was for alliegirl23 :D
I have just had my implant removed after having it for a year. I also started experiencing a horrible odor, and more discharge than usual, and i seem to smell myself by the end of every day even though i've had a shower in the morning. BV comes and goes, to anyone and anything, it doesn't necessarily have to be the mirena. I was tested for it when I had my implant removed 2 days ago and am waiting for result. it might just have come at the wrong time for you, might not be mirena. Whatever birth controls you girls choose, whatever you do DON'T have the implant.
Sophie
Yeah, I got mine removed a little over a week ago and INSTANTLY felt better. I was tested for numerous things after I mentioned the odor to my doctor and in fact did have BV and an external yeast infection. I can't say the Mirena directly caused it, but I've never in my life had either of these infections until I got Mirena put in. She said my bacterial test came back almost 1000x higher than a normal vagina (tmi, sorry!), which was the BV. I had a pretty severe case of BV that could only go away with antibiotics. I'm just so incredibly happy to be feeling better.
Thanks for that AllieGirl23.
I have had my test results back today and I also have BV. And I have to have antibiotics aswell. Did it take long for your BV to clear whilst on antibiotics?
The smell went away literally a day after I started taking the antibiotics.

Glad you got everything figured out!! :)
hi im having the same problems with this birth control and when i went to the doctors office last week they tellin me that they cant find it and that i need to get and ultrasound done to see if it moved
Hi I'm have the same thing i just went and they said they couldn't find mine. I'm waiting for my ultrasound appointment I go on Sunday. but what did they end up doing? Because I'm freaking out over all of this. what do you mean you cant find it were did it go?  Yours was the only one that i read that said the couldnt find yours. I know im having really heavy bleeding and lots of cramping.