Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Morning after pill

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Morning after pill

I started my bc pill on the first day of my cycle which was April 5. My husband and I had sex today without backup contraceptives. Since I have only been on the pill for 12 days should I take the morning after pill as a precaution or have I taken the pill long enough for it to work?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that you have probably been on the pill long enough for it to prevent ovulation for this cycle, BUT if a baby right now would be a really bad fit, you might want to consider the extra protection of the morning after pill.  If you call the provider who wrote you the prescription, he/she could tell you how to do that with the pills that you have already.
Good luck!
Dr B